Which fridge recommended - Big Horn

jimtoo

Hi travelkat,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family, We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share or help if needed.

You might give us the model of Bighorn your ordering so we will know the floor plan.
I am moving this post to the Bighorn area also.

Enjoy the forum.

jbeletti

travelkat,

It depends on your usage and lifestyle. For us, we are not full-timers. We went with the 9 cubic foot model and kept the pantry. Done this for 3 RVs now with the first having an 8 cubit foot refer. It's only 2 of us as well, and that is a consideration.

The upgrade cost to the 14 cubic foot model is significant. But if you need it, you need it.

For those who pass on the upgrade, yet need additional refer space do is:

• Shop more often
  • Install a refer or freezer only in the front closet, in the W/D area or in the storage basement
  • Keep all canned and bottled refreshments in a ice chest and/or in a separate refer (see above)
Others will weigh in on this thread for you to give you their take. I certainly don't want to talk you out of the 14 cubic foot, 4-door refer with water dispenser in the door and an ice maker. Just give you my personal take on it for my personal needs.

Best of luck,

Jim

wdk450

I want to provide a differing opinion to Jim Beletti's. Everyone is different.
On the refrig issue, we (my wife) were in love with the pull-out pantry, but the only 3670RL Bighorn our dealer has on his lot was allready equipped with the dual door refrig/freezer - no pantry option. We had it as a condition of our sale that the dealer convert this back. The dealer called us after a few days to tell us that due to the fact that the slide steel frame was different with the two door refrig than standard, they could not do this mod locally. We accepted the trailer as it was, and before we got out on our first trip, I found a mod in the forum to make the small doorside coat closet into a pantry by simply adding shelving hardware and making small custom shelves. This has served us well.
I think that since we use a lot of frozen food, the larger freezer has worked out better for us, also.

2010augusta

Since we full-time and I LOVE to cook we had to ponder on this before we ordered, And what we ended doing was going with the 14cf fridge and using the three upper cabinets to the right of the fridge as our pantry. The lower cabinets there hold our pots and pans and some of the small appliances. The small upper cabinet between the fridge and microwave holds all the plates, bowl, and glasses. The tower to the left of the range holds sugar, flour, oil, spices, and other seasonings. The the lowers by the sink hold all the Pyrex bowls, storage and baking pans. I know the 3670/Augusta probably has the most kitchen storage out of any fifth wheel on the market, so if we had a different floor-plan that could change everything.

boatdoc

We also opted for the larger fridge in our 3670. The pantry is not missed one bit with all the storage space in the 3670. Get yourself a stand alone icemaker and take the OEM one out of the freezer for more room. In our opinion it fails miserably compared to the stand alone or countertop model. Now this is for the older 2 door fridge without the water/ice in the door. We also have a freezer/ fridge upstairs where the W/D would be as Jim B. said. This really makes it nice for our 2 month trips down South as we take our own beef and fish.
Enjoy your new Bighorn

skyguy

Being the frugal (read cheap) person that I am, we opted for the 10 foot as I recall. No ice maker, prefer the stand alones too. We were weight conscious to start with, so smaller fridge, no dual pane, no Glossy gelcoat. All have not been any problem! Wifey is still not too sure about not having bigger reefer, but we haven't had any problems with fridge space so far (or freezer), and we go out for some 10 day trips at times (dry camp). Smaller fridge also means less food, and fresher food. (?) I'm glad to have the pantry right next door!

A small freezer will go in pace of the washer-dryer one of these days....

ChopperBill

Our 3055 had the standard Dometic 8 footer and we a truck camper that had a Norcold 6 footer. The Norcold 6 Footer seemed to have more room than the Dometic 8 footer! The Dometic you couldnt even put and Ice tray in the standard way, but the Norcold 6 you could. You had to put them in sideways. Never seemed like enough room. Back then the 10 foot was an option at over a $1000! Didnt seem worth it. Now I cant see how the standard 9 footer in the new models could be much better. Now the 14 foot 4 door option is a kings ransom but Renee isnt taking a chance so she is ordering it for the new 3610. Of course one whole shelf is mine for beer! We have to run on propane for our summer place as we are not charged for the days we are there using electricity so the extra fridge in the closet or storage area is not an option.

DXprowler

We just purchased a 3410 which came with the 2x2 door fridge. Now if it wasn't there I wouldn't miss it because of gaining the pantry space and if ordering I don't think I would. But, when snow birding next winter I believe it will make a difference! The Dom 8' in the previous trailers were tough to deal with especially during long stays. Constantly going shopping and food that could go in the fridge, but didn't have to, cluttered up the coach. However with the 3410 with this big fridge I did find a solution and installed a sliding shelve kit, with almost as much pantry space, in the area under and to the right of the sink. I did post some pics in the Mod section if your interested. So with that issue taken care of, I'm sure the big fridge will be a good thing when we're avoiding the snow!

Northern Virginia
We camp with three kids (sometimes 4 if our daughter brings a friend) and we could not be without the 14. In the summer we also supplement with a cooler for drinks and items that are frequently retrieved. I think the number of people you camp with is a big factor in the size if the fridge. More than 3, I would seriously consider the 14.

Cheers- John

rvn4fun

Initally we were going to buy a Bighorn, we had looked at them for several years. When we decided to buy we went to look and the only Bighorn they had on hand was the double door fridge. That ended us as we wouldn't give up cabinet space for that big of fridge. We never even thought to try and order one so we bought the Big Country, because in the end we liked a lot of things on it better. In the summer we have a little electric fridge that we cover the top with a tarp and sit it outside where we keep all the drinks ect in. We tie a bungie around it at night otherwise the racoons will get into it. But everyone has different feelings that is why the make so many different options.

Wharton

We ended up ordering the 9 cu ft without ice maker(takes up too much room in the freezer) and will get a small(3 cu ft) freezer(110v) to put in the washer/dryer space. I always run out of freezer space...................

todalake

We don't have a separate W/D closet and ended up putting a 5 cu ft freezer(110v) sideways in front closet. Put another dorm size (4 cu ft) refrigerator under the slide out. We ended up staying at one site for summer so weight is not a problem. Two 100 lb propane tanks eliminate running out of gas. Gas company replaces tanks when needed and alot cheaper than small tank fillups.

Wharton

I am planning to buy a small freezer for the w/d closet but my DH is concerned about out traveling down the road for 6-8 hours and food defrosting. Since we normally travel in the fall/winter I don't think this is a problem. I guess it might be a concern in the summer when the temps get high but not sure.

Any input on this would be appreciated...................

wdk450

Wharton:
Maybe you could rig up a dedicated 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC inverter for the small freezer travelling down the road. A 2nd 12 volt battery might be needed also. A further improvement might be a dedicated 12 volt charging cable from your truck's electrical system (alternator/battery) to the trailer 12 volt system.

I am planning to buy a small freezer for the w/d closet but my DH is concerned about out traveling down the road for 6-8 hours and food defrosting. Since we normally travel in the fall/winter I don't think this is a problem. I guess it might be a concern in the summer when the temps get high but not sure.

Any input on this would be appreciated...................

boatdoc

One could also do what we did in that we bought a 12VDC/110AC Fridge/Freezer. So many ways to use this product. It fits perfectly in the W/D area and one has the choice to use either power. On the 3670 the batterys are right below. I just added a cigar lighter in the side wall paneling under the W/D water fixtures and dropped down onto the batterys, piece of cake. The 110VAC was already there. Now we have a power choice and a temp choice. We also use it for many other non-5th wheel adventures. Ours is an Edgestar out of Texas. No problems at all.

ChopperBill

My experience on the 12v refrigerators (Had one in our Lance truck camper) is that they will suck a battery down in short order.

boatdoc

Hey Bill, This won't drag it down like the old ones did. I tested it the day I got it and let in run in my Toyota Tacoma all weekend. Monday it cranked/started just fine. Seems these things are insulated real good and it doesn't run all that long. Sister borrowed it this past summer for a trip down to SoCal and never had a problem letting it run either. It cools supper fast also.

Wharton

I looked into the 12/110 refrig and decided I didn't want to pay the money and would go with a straight 110.

If anyone has only a 110 installed I would be interested in how well the freezer stayed frozen when on the road for 5-7 hours.

I will also check into running a line from the truck to the freezer(12v) and a dedicated inverter.

This isn't on my critical list, can live without it........