Towing a trailer behind 5th wheel??

Hi new to the forum, just in the process of buying a sundance 3200re. Has anyone pulled a small trailer behind there 5th wheel trailer? Going to haul a small flatbed with a couple of four wheelers.

Any thoughts.

thanks

jimtoo

Hi fernortner79,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to help and share knowledge.

You will get lots of answers about pulling another trailer behind your Sundance. Depends on state and length, tow vehicle, brakes, all kinds of things come up. You should be getting some replies from some that do soon.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Welcome to the forum. Yes we sometimes pull a golf cart behind our Big Country. We live in a state that allows tandem trailer pulling so you might want to double check when traveling to make sure the states that you are planning to go thru allows tandems.

robnmo

Hi new to the forum, just in the process of buying a sundance 3200re. Has anyone pulled a small trailer behind there 5th wheel trailer? Going to haul a small flatbed with a couple of four wheelers.

Any thoughts.

thanks

We checked into doing the same thing before deciding on the toyhauler. Reason for the toyhauler, if memory serves me right we found 22 states that do not permit triple towing, we were told by some that some states where it is not permitted won't bother non residents. (Personally I think that's pretty shakey advice, if not for possibly a ticket, what if your in an accident and towing in violation of that state's regulations?) One dealer also brought up possible questions on warranty issues if towing a trailer (don't know if that's correct or not, maybe someone else can answer that one for sure.

lwmcguir

Some of the states we have traveled require the second trailer to have brakes. Our did but takes a bit of doing and is well worth it. Sure have to keep in mind you aren't going to back up very far. You will be pushing the length limit in some states as well if you have a long TV, Coach, and second trailer.

Bighurt

States that allow tandem;
California
Nevada
Idaho
Utah
Arizona
Montana
Wyoming
Colorado
New Mexico
North Dakota
South Dakota
Nebraska
Kansas
Oklahoma
Texas
Minnesota
Iowa
Missouri
Arkansas
Louisiana
Wisconsin
Illinois
Kentucky
Tennessee
Mississippi
Michigan
Indiana
Ohio
Maryland
Alaska

Bighurt

HEY just wanted to say that calif no longer allows double towing even if you have A class a license .

Who did you talk to cause according to the DMV so long as you have a CDL with a T endorsement you are good to go. Total length is limited to 65 ft. They used to be pretty lenient and only required a written test. I know longer maintain a CA drivers license.

sandman

:DHEY Bihurt a freind of mine is a CA Hiway Patrole he told me that even with a cdl you cant tow recreational doubles he did say they are not real stricked unless the are driving real fast. i wil tell say you cant believe anything that the ca dmv says they dont know much any more lol.

ChopperBill

I have doubled towed with the 3055 for thousands of miles. Do I like to? No. Never had any problems and never got stuck getting fuel. It just makes me tense. No hitch is going on the 3610 for now. Our summer spot is only 140 miles away and we own two trucks. Renee will pull the RZR and the Sportsman 800. Horn stays there all year so its no big deal. In the winter we go to AZ and always have taken the toys. Renee says she will follow with the other truck. Not too sure about that deal though.

Sundance_kid

:DHEY Bihurt a friend of mine is a CA Hiway patrol he told me that even with a cdl you cant tow recreational doubles he did say they are not real strict unless the are driving real fast. i wil tell say you cant believe anything that the ca dmv says they dont know much any more lol.

Trust me if it was illegal they would get you, Calif needs the money.

Bighurt

:DHEY Bihurt a freind of mine is a CA Hiway Patrol he told me that even with a cdl you cant tow recreational doubles he did say they are not real strict unless the are driving real fast. i wil tell say you cant believe anything that the ca dmv says they don't know much any more lol.

Not ever officer knows the law which is why I win most tickets. By DMV I meant the website, I don't have them up anymore but they have the references to the regulation on their site. By the commercial reg you can tow doubles with proper endorsement. Doesn't matter if it a recreational vehicle or not.

Added;
Just got off with the CHP main office and according to them a Class A non commercial with a T endorsement is all that is needed for those who hold a California license. For those out of state so long as you maintain the requirement within your home state of issue you are allowed to continue that across into California. Provided your rig doesn't present a safety issue. For further questions contact California commercial vehicle department, I have a number but its not correct...

Last edited:

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Or you could have a deal like Bob and Christine. The swivel wheel trailer that connect to the 5er with two hitches. It then becomes part of the 5er and is not considered a "trailer" behind you. You can also back up with it attached. Neat deal.