Emergency brake pin

chardel

When I unhooked the seven pin hitch connection the other day, it really started to rain and got distracted. Drove off and pulled out the emergency brake pin from the hitch unit. It seemed fine and I replaced it and it looks like before. I am wondering if just replacing it in its socket is fine or are there other steps that need to be taken before towing the rig again? Thanks for any info.

jnbhobe

You should not have any problems,as long as the pin and cable aren't damaged. Just replace the pin and make sure its all the way in the socket. Jon

RoadJunkie

I have a, ah...humm, "friend" who did the same thing and I, I mean he, put the key back in and it seems to be fine (no damage to the key). There was concern because the key inserted very easily (tapers on the key track, I suppose), but when tugged carefully to remove, it did not come out.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
i have a, ah...humm, "friend" who did the same thing and i, i mean he, put the key back in and it seems to be fine (no damage to the key). There was concern because the key inserted very easily (tapers on the key track, i suppose), but when tugged carefully to remove, it did not come out.

.....roflmao

TXBobcat

Fulltime
When I went to the LOW course in Bowling Green Ky. A guy in a NuWa HH Champane was showing us how to do a pull test on the brakes on the trailer. He took the emergency cable and pulled the plastic key out. Went around to the cab of his truck put it in gear and tried to move forward. Trailer did not move. He strowed back to the trailer, "See it works", then put the key back in. It melted clear down to the nub. The key box was so hot from the amps flowing from the battery through to the brakes that the contacts got red hot and melted the key. He had to cut the wires to turn it off. I hear he had a problem with the brakes later on.

I have pulled my key out by accident on my SOB but put it back in as quickly as possible and had no problem.

If you left the key out for very long I would have my brakes and wiring checked just to be sure.

FWIW
BC

DntDctr

Here in VA we have to have a yearly safety inspection. The last place I went to get this done tested the ebrake away switch. I've never seen anyone do that. He does it to all trailers as it is mandatory for the safety inspection. Everything is fine. It's designed to be pulled out.

chardel

Thanks to all for your info. Since we had completed all the steps (except taking off the safety brake cable from the hitch handle) to drive away from the 5th wheel, when I drove a couple of feet my wife yelled that something had come off the rv. As a result, the pin was only out for a couple of minutes and was not hooked up to the truck anyway. Hopefully, all is well as the pin looked fine and went back in smoothly.

porthole

Retired
Thanks to all for your info. Since we had completed all the steps (except taking off the safety brake cable from the hitch handle) to drive away from the 5th wheel, when I drove a couple of feet my wife yelled that something had come off the RV. As a result, the pin was only out for a couple of minutes and was not hooked up to the truck anyway. Hopefully, all is well as the pin looked fine and went back in smoothly.

The purpose of that pin is to apply the brakes "especially" if the trailer is not hooked up.
The trailer's house battery supplies full power to the brakes in the event the pin is pulled, connected to the truck or not.

Jim-n-Leslie

I did the same. Quite embarrassed. It is advisable to test the pin periodically, so you should consider this that annual op-test, as I did. :rolleyes: As others have stated, just make sure the cable and pin are not damaged.
Jim

noobee

I do a 'pull the pin' every six months to make sure it is working... no problem in re-inserting it.