08 F250 CC 4X4 SB PSD and 3300RLB Newbe

jcarnevale

I need some confidence regarding the ability of a short bed TV to achieve an 88° turn as advertised by Heartland. I know from reading other posts that some of you out there have this combination of TV and coach. I am currently in the market for a hitch, (looking at Hensley BD3) and would like some advice on pulling a 3300RLB with an 08 F250 CC 4X4 SB PSD.

PS: this is a great forum, you folks have already answered a lot of questions I have had, thanks for that.

Jay and Jen

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
I haven't had any problems making really tight turns with my short bed Crew Cab F250 and Sundance 2900MK. Have I ever made it to 88degrees? Not sure, but I'm pretty sure I've been real close. Haven't touched yet.

jcarnevale

boat to 5er, thanks for the reply. I noticed you have SuperSprings installed, did this effect the ride quality or height of the truck when not towing? I am also considering this option, along with airbags or adding a leaf to my current spring package (part# 5560).

Last edited:

boatto5er

The springs did not affect the ride height at all. They are designed to be "transparent" when not needed and only begin engaging as weight is applied to the suspension. It may be just perception, but the ride acually seems to have improved quite a bit, especially with the trailer hooked up. Because of the much leveler setup between the truck and the trailer, it also seems to have lessened the chucking that used to occur when stopping and starting.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Our previous truck was a short bed C/C chevy. We have a BH and trust me it will go over 88*. Had to change my shorts the 1st time I tried it, but we still had the same back window when I sold it.

BozRazor

I pull my Razor 3212SB with my 08 F250 CC short bed with no problems, I did install a slider hitch just in case, murphy's law...I have turned going forward pretty sharp with it in tow position(forward) and no problems. I was told once that backing may be the problem with clearances. I did add air bags, they did affect the ride and ride height, added about an 1 1/2" to the rear unloaded, your required to keep 10 lbs minimum in the bags, I would recommend the springs if you use the truck as an everyday driver. As far as the ride while towing it's like night and day...I never thought the bags would make the difference on towing they did. I thought I was installing them just to keep the truck more level while towing, but made the ride and towing so much easier.

lwmcguir

We can turn our Landmark much sharper than the spring hangers strength will allow with a short bed F250. The extra clearance is great for slow speed turns backing into a campsite. Just keep in mind that you should try to avoid sharp turns on hard surfaces or you might bend the hangers. Always straighten out the axles after making the turns if you are stopping as well.

DntDctr

I had a F250 CC SB and I hit the rear cab once. It was a tight back-in and the grade of the campsite was higher then the road. That brought the trailer in tighter. Didn't pop the window but definetly dented the cab.

boatto5er

I had a F250 CC SB and I hit the rear cab once. It was a tight back-in and the grade of the campsite was higher then the road. That brought the trailer in tighter. Didn't pop the window but definetly dented the cab.

Great point! When the grade between the tow vehicle and trailer changes by any amount, the trailer and the tow vehicle can come closer together and since the tolerance is close on level terrain, you could hit the cab. We have a slider hitch that works well in situations like that.

jcarnevale

Thanks for all the replies. From reading a lot of the posts in this forum, it sounds like if I buy a slider I won't need it, if I don't buy a slider I will definitely need it.

Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
In my previous post I forgot to say that I do have a slider. When we bought the Horn I didnt believe it either. I have any used it once in 3 years, but I do have it if need be. Bob

boatto5er

Thanks for all the replies. From reading a lot of the posts in this forum, it sounds like if I buy a slider I won't need it, if I don't buy a slider I will definitely need it.

Has anybody used Hensley's BD3 with a slider?

You have nailed it!

jcarnevale

Update:

Here are some pictures of the angle achieved with the rig combination noted in my signature below without a slider. About 75 degrees.

Hitch.jpg028sm.jpg029sm.jpg

micar

I have been close to 88* backing my 3300 RLB in the driveway with no problems.I have the air lift bags.I run 10lbs towing and 5lbs empty,with negligible change in ride quality empty and huge difference when towing/loaded.
Mike