Where did this water pressure come from--how to prevent

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We stopped and was hooking up the water and when I turned on the parks water it was leaking at the RV connection. I then took off the screen and pushed in on the backflow preventer and WOW the pressure was unbelievable. I now think there was so much pressure coming out of the rv the park water could not go in. Once the pressure was relieved, reconnected the hose and the park water went in ok. I checked behind and did have a small leak at the pump which again I assume because the pressure was so great. We did travel over a few high passes in ID and OR--could this have created the issue? If so how do I prevent it in the future? When we disconnect should I take off the screen and push in on the back flow preventer??
I do have a regulator and have it set for about 42#.
thanks
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Al, just turn on a faucet, hot and cold. That should releive any stored pressure.
Remember, that when you change you water heater anode, that same pressure is stored in the water heater. Under pressure, when loosened, that anode is a rocket.
Always releive stored pressure when you want to do something in the system.

Peace
Dave

Jellystone

Every time we pack up to leave the campground to go home, I always leave a faucet (hot & cold) open as well as leave the low point drains open until we get home (3 hr 15 min drive). This takes all the pressure out of the system as well as mostly drain the lines.