Campgrounds along Rt. 81 in Virginia

We will be traveling to North Carolina in June and would like to spend a few days camping in Virginia. Does anyone have any recommendations for any nice campgrounds?:D

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
There are many nice campgrounds all up and down I-81, but the only one we've stayed in that's fairly close to the Hiway is the Walnut Hills KOA near Staunton (http://www.koa.com/where/va/46187/ ). I highly recommend this one. One of the better KOA's we've been to.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
We stayed at the Dixie Caverns campground in Salem, VA (right on I-81) and wouldn't recommend it. I understand that Yogi Bear Jellystone park at the Natural Bridge is pretty good and a Good Sam's park. The Natural Bridge is a must do with a lot of history and also is right off of I-81. Travel safely.

Wharton

We stay at Fort Chiswell near Wytheville,VA. Quiet(sometimes when the cows are in the field it gets a little noisy), big spots, nice people, easy to find and on your way back to I81 there is a a Flying J on the corner........................

beasleyrl

As I write this , I am sitting with a resident of that area(HOC - HUDSON). He says avoid Candy Hill in Winchester and Creek Side in Edinburg (if you have a large rig). Endless Caverns is nice (easy entry to sites) and Harrisonburg KOA is also nice but neither are immediately off of the interstate.

jonesj2

We just came back from PA yesterday and passed Candy Hill campground outside of Winchester VA. We have never camped there but have seen it grow for several years now. Here is the web address http://www.candyhill.com/ . The campground is located on route 37 off of I 81.

boatto5er

Founding VA Chap Ldr (Ret)
As I write this , I am sitting with a resident of that area(HOC - HUDSON). He says avoid Candy Hill in Winchester and Creek Side in Edinburg (if you have a large rig). Endless Caverns is nice (easy entry to sites) and Harrisonburg KOA is also nice but neither are immediately off of the interstate.

Where are you guys? Debra and I will be at Endless Caverns this weekend with our Good Sam club. I'll write up a report on it either while we're there or when we get back home.