Hensley Trailer Saver TS3 hitch info needed

RollingHome

Does anyone have a knowledge or info gained by direct or indirect experience with the Hensley Trailer Saver TS3 fifth wheel hitch ? I may be purchasing one and I would appreciate all info good or bad BEFORE I buy. In Advance Thanks, Tom

Mariposa

Tom
Have been using Hensley Trailer Saver. Has auto air, two bags & slider. Have not use the slider, except to test. I did have a problem with some crushed wires when first used. The company took care of it and have not problems in over two years. We have towed a lot. I know it is pricey, but I see safety built in. big jaws and a sure locking system
Not knowing what your towing, but you can't go wrong with the Hensley. you wouldn't need to change hitches if you up graded later

crazybanshee

We have 50K miles on our TS3 without a problem. Great hitch. Great investment for a high dollar trailer.
Doug

RollingHome

Thanks Doug and Mariposa... having u guys respond really gives me confidence. Doug I've read ur post... quite impressive, so is ur rig, really neat unit. Thanks for ur info. My idea is to trash a Trailair king pin box and install the cushininng into the TV instead of the RV via the Trailair. Tom

alkyspeed

You will not go wrong with the TrailerSaver TS3. Yes it is pricey but you do get what you pay for; a hitch setup that is strong and worry free as you could hope for.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Hi Tom,
I just bought a used TS3 on Craig's list, due to the diligence of Floyd Philbrook of Las Vegas, who knew of my bad back, so he drove to Mesquite, NV, and picked it up for me for under $1,000. On our first trip of the year, on the way to Oroville, CA, for the Nor Cal rally, he was kind enough to install it for me in Las Vegas. Now that's what I call a friend, so THANK YOU FLOYD! I noticed first off, that the air guage was bouncing back and forth, and as I looked in the rear view mirror, I could see the rig bouncing up and down, but with the air bags, we hardly felt anything, except when hitting obvious bumps in the road. This is with a TV 2008 Ford F-250, and it's obvious it took alot of pressure off of the front end of the suspension. It is a few years old, so it had a 22K GVWR, but is obviously worth it's weight in gold. I got more $$ from a forum member for my 18K Pullrite Autoglide, but am sure for my purposes, it was a great deal for both of us. The only negative for me was when I hitched up with the Pullrite, when the jaws snapped in to place, it was loud and clear. With this hitch, I had to manually pull the pin, and push the handle forward to lock it into place. On the first hitch up, I forgot to................. That's all I got to say. As my DW Debbi said, that's what insurance is for!!

RollingHome

Guys, I know the TS3 is "pricey" but... I am replacing a Pull-Rite 18K which also is pricey ( $2,000.00). The Pull-Rite has fingers which rap around the actual kin pin and give almost 360 capture. When I hook up, I get a confident "Bang, I locked and hooked up" The Pull-Rite clearance and tolerance is zilche between king pin and hitch, hence the play enroute is very little. I have peace of mind knowing once the hitch grabs and is locked I CAN NOT drop the trailer. I look at the king pin (from the tail gate end) and I can easily see it is rapped by the galvanized fingers and means I won't drop the trailer. The Pull-Rite has little tolerance kingpin to fingers and no slop means no play and means peace :). The only reason I am changing is because I went from a short bed to long bed TV and my current Trailair cushioned king pin box is (too short) too close to my TV. I am going from a short pin box (Trailair M15 cushioned ) to a long king pin box (Lippert 1621HD) without cushioning. Hence I want to cushion the TV (with a Hensley) opposed to on the RV. I also was NOT going to get the built in compresssor on the Hensley because I carry a compresser in my rig and I don't think I need to be playing with inflating/deflating the little cushioning tires on the Hensley. Am I wrong ? Do you guys inflate/deflate ? Is the built in builtin Hensley compressor something you would suggest I get ? I look at it as a uneeded toy or gingerbread, am I wrong ? I'm not afraid of spending money but I don't want to buy something I never use either. Also how easy or hard is it to hook up or drop your units ? Will I be able to do it standing along side (outside the bed) the TV or do I need to climb into the bed ? The literature from Hensley is a little confusing in describing this. I called Hensley and was told I will get a metal hook to make it easy, does it work ? The Pull-Rite only requires a pull on the handle to release when I drop.

Mariposa, What slider function are you speaking of ? My Pull-Rite slides, does the Hensley also slide too ? I am pulling a 2011 BH 3670RL with a new body style Chevy 3500HD. I only have 16 1/2" between TV & Rv and I have Rock Tamer mud flaps in that space, this is giving me heartburn. I am asking all these questions because I don't want a repeat of what I have now. I want to get the best without anymore nonsense and be done with it. In advance Thank you. Tom

RollingHome

Larry, That is some good info you (& others) gave me. I too have issues with my back (Lumbar Stenosis and more) and I cannot do gymnastics. Hensley's web site gave me questions. But fact is, if you use the Hensley with your maladies I should be able to also, Thanks.

Cyncwby

I used to have a part time car hauling business with a 53' 4 car trailer. I had a '97 Superduty PSD chassis cab and it had the Binkley 5th wheel hitch welded to a 3/4" steel plate. As you know this is the same unit that the TS3 uses. This thing is as bullet proof as you can get, never once in LOTS of hauling did I have a problem with it. Yes as said it is pricey but well worth the piece of mind.

Larryheadhunter

Hey Tom,
The TS3 is awesome, although it helps to have a second person to pull the pin out and push the handle forward to lock it in, which is on the driver's side. Why not the BD3? It's smaller and is supposed to be their hottest item. Also it comes with 2 air bags. I have heard the airsafe hitch is neat as well and has 4 air bags. Who knows? I loved my pullrite but the back issues forced my hand. Also you might think about getting the Centerpoint suspension as well. It consists of 2 air bags between the axles, horizontal, no shocks, and takes the place of the equalizer suspension. The Centerpoint combined with the TS3, definitely improved the ride, although my DW doesn't know which one helped the most. Tom, don't buy it new if u can avoid it. Craig's list, ebay, all have better deals than going directly to Hensley. The automatic guage helps as well, as you can add or subtract air on the move from the hitch air bags. I keep mine at about 50 lbs give or take 10 lbs.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
The only reason we went with B&W instead is that it comes out in pieces that are light and small enough for one person to handle. The Hensley take two people to move in or out of the truck.
Kristy

Larryheadhunter

The only reason we went with B&W instead is that it comes out in pieces that are light and small enough for one person to handle. The Hensley take two people to move in or out of the truck.
Kristy

Kristy, the BD3 model made by Hensley comes apart and is easily removed according to the rep at Hensley.

Delaine and Lindy

I have owned the TS 3 and it was used in 2 3500HD's and a Chevy 4500. I can highly recomend the TS 3, I'm using the Trailer Saver TSLB2H 32,000 capacity due to the extra weight of double towing a Chevy HHR. I also recomend the Center Point air suspension. GBY....