Full timing

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
For those of you who full time-or real close to it, What kind of life expectancy to expect out of your trailer?

Did you go into full timing thinking you will have to replace the trailer after a certain amount of time or did you decide to just wait and see how much time you could get out of the trailer?

Just trying to get a little research done for the Big Day so we have an idea what to expect and plan for.

2010augusta

Well, we bought our Landmark thinking that it should last as long as we wanted to full time, We figured we would be on the road for 4-6 years. and then keep the trailer for recreational use for the next decade or so. I figure that it will take maintenance and repair, but I hope the trailer will be usable for a long while.

Dragoon

We have been full-timing for 10 years and decided on our Bighorn 2 years ago. This is our 2nd rig since starting this lifestyle. We used our previous rig for week-ends and vacations for 1 year, before going full-time. It served us well, and we could have gotten several more years out of it, but couldn't pass up the deal we got for this one. Whether the Bighorn will last as long remains to be determined. Since we've slowed down some now, spending more time in one spot, we hope that it will do just that. We don't feel that this unit is built as well as the previous one, but there are trade-offs on everything, and we knew that going into this unit. So far we've had the problems that most have written about on this forum, but we had problems with the other one as well, just part of what you can expect when you decide to live this life. Good luck in your quest. We would not give up this lifestyle unless somehow forced to by circumstances beyond our control.

To answer your other question, yes we planned on having to replace our rig at some point, as well as the truck. If luck stays with us, we plan to replace this one as well (we gotta wear it out). We have friends, also full-timers, who have replaced their diesel pusher about the same time we replaced our 5er' and same length of time in use. So it doesn't make much difference what you get into, these things don't last forever, but will go a long time with some care. By the way, we bought our 2nd unit after stopping at a dealership when we left a tire shop having set an appointment to put on a 3rd set of tires on the 5'er. Probably would have been cheaper to replace the tires!

Just to add to your thinking process, we are on our 2nd truck, also. The first one was a gas (big mistake), but it served us well for 6 years and 150,000 miles. DW said, no more mountains unless we got a new truck. Finally got my diesel, wow, should have started with one. This truck should be the only one we'll need from now 'til we stop traveling, but...

Bill

Wharton

Our last rig was 10 years old were out on the road 4-5 months each year. Rig was still in great shape but we now have grandchildren that want to go camping with us so we are upgrading to a BH 3670. As long as you maintain your rig there shouldn't be any problems. It is like cars, we normally keep our cars until something really major needs to be done. Life span is normally in the 15-20 year range for our cars.

SouthernNights

Thank you for the replies. I guess my biggest concern on having to replace a trailer is that a wise use of money.

It is interesting that Dragoon brought up his friend with a MH that he replaced. I am trying to decide is it cheaper to go the truck/5er route and plan replacements at 7 to 8 year intervals or a motorhome with a small vehicle and figure on replacing the MH at 10 to 12 years. But I am just guessing that a MH used as full time or almost full time would last that long.

I think that is where the 5er really shines through. Between it's liviabilty and realative inexpensive housing cost, it seems to make sense to stay with 5ers.
The initial cost of a MH is huge compared to a 5er, but never having a MH I dont know if the cost is offset by better liviabilty, longer life??? or anything else.

The draw of the BC, and HL in general for us was the amount of amenities for the dollars spent. The BC provides us with a level of luxury I really would not have spent extra money on until it becomes our primary residence. When that time comes, the Landmark and only one other brand has the options I would really like to have while full timing (or close to full timing).

On the other hand, the BC with a couple of bucks could have the same options intalled as aftermarket. We really do like the BC now. It fulffills our requirements and then some.

Dragoon

Just another item to add to the information/confusion. When we were looking at full-timing we asked a lot of full-timers about this very thing. Several said, go as frugal (cheap) as you can, you'll wear them out in about the same length of time whether they're high priced or low priced. Where we are right now, there are several rigs that are 15 years old, most of them look pretty good, some high-end, some not. They are NOT on the road anymore. All the things inside can be and are being replaced as they wear out. Most of the wear and tear on the outside occurs while bouncing down the highways, of course sun play as part, too. So, you have to realize that how much you use/abuse the rig will play a major part in length of service. Good luck in your quest...

2010augusta

One thing to think of when considering a MH for full-time use is exercising the engine and drive if you long-term at any time, means disconnecting from your hook-ups and taking a short drive. Additionally getting propane requires taking the MH to a Propane station or paying for a delivery truck to bring it to the campground. Just a couple issues that a Fifth wheel does not have.

SouthernNights

Well that brings up another good point Alan. I get bored very easily staying in one place for any lenght of time. I really cant see myself staying any longer than 30 days in any one place.
So now driving comfort for both myself and Sam becomes important. Sam drives on occassion and I am sure that will continue.

ralphpam

We had a diesel motorhome for 8 years. We traveled a lot and a motorhome is easier to move all the time. Alan is correct that diesel motors do not like to sit and must be run regularly including the generator and you do have to move for propane or pay the premium price to have it delivered. We wanted to stay longer in one place so we went with the 5th wheel a year ago. We like the home feel to it, but did have to really clean out stuff as the 5th wheel does not have the carrying capacity of the motorhome. They both have positives and negatives and the choice is really a personal one. We can tell you that if we lose all of what we paid for this 5th wheel and new diesel truck we would not lose as much as we did in depreciation on the motorhome in 8 years. Our motorhome looked like new when we sold it, but we had the interior redone after about 4 years. The carpet and furniture that they all use do not stand up to full time use.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Yeah, Larry but......being such a young pup the whole industry will have changed by the time you get ready to full-time it. Why, you and Sam are such spring chickens you'll have made this decision over and over about 50 times before you are really ready!!:rolleyes:

See you in a few short weeks.

Keith

Dave

Traveling Two
We decided on a 5th wheel/truck combo simply because if anything happenied to the 5er I felt I can repair it. If something happenied to the truck I MIGHT be able to repair it. If the truck needed to go into the shop for repair we still had the 5er to live in. If somethinghappenied to the MH I didn't feel I could repair it and we could be stranded somewhere for an extended period of time plus we lost our home. The cost of a MH and maintenance expense and upkeep was excessive for us. We purchased a $43K 5th wheel, we've lived in it for 18 out of the last 24 months while I work. Were retiring in ywo years and expecting the 5er to last for another 5-6 years, whether it makes it or not I will let you know!!

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
We've been fulltime in our Bighorn for three years now, and the only thing that we've replaced has been the flooring. It really wasn't worn out, it would have sufficed for several more years, I just needed a change...an upgrade, so to speak!

After using RV's for thrity years on a "weekend" basis, and living it one for three, we've come to realize that the components seem to actually last longer when they are used on a regular basis. In our opinion, I think you could keep a fiver on the road indefinitely with regular maintenance and upkeep...just think how many of the older, reasonably well built units you still see out there. We've got friends living in units they bought back in the mid-ninties, and they're still going strong!!

We are just starting to full time and bought a bighorn. We are praying to get 10 years out of it. We will not be moving all the time, probably every four to 6 months. We know that we will have issues along the way but with regular upkeep I think it is possible. We bought a new truck as well and the same with the truck. If our expectations are unrealistic we will still be happy because we are living the simple life and will take things as they come. Even if we only get five or six years we are still living a lot less expensive than the stix & brix Life.

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
Although we weren't full time until the last four months that we had it, we spent a lot of time in our first Heartland, a Bighorn 3055rl. We kept it almost two years and traded it in on our current 3370rl which we have been living in for about 15 months. I would expect it to last 7-8 years of full time use, or until HL comes up with another model that we just have to have. I keep hoping that they will come up with a buy two, get one free policy...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
Well I guess I will jump in here too.
We have been fulltiming since 2007 and have no idea when we will stop. That will depend on finances and health. I like my BH 3400RE and we have been making some upgrades. Mor/Ryde IS & DB, TrailAire Pinbox, Cabinet to replace Table & Chairs, Wood Blinds to replace the Day/Night shades and now thinking about a levelup system.

We purchased the best trailer we could afford and pull with our present Truck. As time goes by and we upgrade the things to make our trailer better and more comfortable we are investing a lot of cash into the trailer that actually will not be able to get out of it in a few years if we decided to sell it. Some are able to purchase a new trailer or TV every year or two but we are not in that financial position. This trailer will have to last us for quite some time. If we keep it in good condition and make sure everything is working properly we may never purchase another.

We could very well get a new Tow Vehicle but even it will have to last a long time.

Actually I am looking for a coffin that has wheels and the DW can double tow and keep me on the road. LOL

BC

SouthernNights

Thanks again for everyones replies.
We finally got wi-fi service back. I can see the next mod is a Sprint card. I feel like the guy talking on the cell phone with one leg held up and one finger in his ear to get reception.

I think it is becoming clearer that a 5er is the way to go. I am happy to hear that their life expectancy is longer than I envisioned even with heavy use.
I dont mind maintaining things and upgrading stuff. Actually I like it alot.

Dave had a good point about a MH breaking. Where would you go? I do not like hotels-except Disney- so I guess I would be homeless.

Thanks again everyone. If you guys think of something else, we would love to hear it.

Keith, on a final note, Sam is still young but I showed up here three weeks before the dirt did. We are actually looking at starting in about three years. Probably just 3 or 4 months out of the year, and that probably wouldnt be all at one time. With in 5 years, I could see us up to 6 or 8 months.

klindgren

Retired Virginia Chapter Leaders
Thanks again for everyones replies.
Keith, on a final note, Sam is still young but I showed up here three weeks before the dirt did. We are actually looking at starting in about three years. Probably just 3 or 4 months out of the year, and that probably wouldnt be all at one time. With in 5 years, I could see us up to 6 or 8 months.

Larry, That's exactly what Carol and I would like to do. We are both planning on retiring in June of next year (2011) and we would like to spend 3 or 4 months on the road that first year then increase it to 3 or 4 months on the road, back for a couple months, then 3 or 4 month on the road etc. I had originally thought of selling the stick and brick and full timing it, but Carol wants to have a place to "call home" and our current house in Chesapeake offers us all the benefits. Of course, for the next several years, as you well know, November and December are must to be "at the North Pole" but I'd like to do some southern traveling in January and February. I'd really like to go exploring and find someplace we really like to stay for a couple months. Warm and close to a golf course.:angel:

SouthernNights

That sounds like a plan Keith. With your obligations with the kids I can understand why you need a "base" around Christmas.

We actually will not be retiring. Just want to be unemployed more of the year than I am now.

duaneweg

We have been fulltiming for 5 years now. We just traded a motorhome for a Road Warrior 5er. The motorhome was great going down road. The wife could go potty and get drinks while going down the road. We are now doing some workcamping, we are sitting longer in one place. Our hobbies outgrew the motorhome. I am a wood carver, the wife a quilter. So we sold the motorhome for a toy hauler and we're turning the garage into a workshop. I can tell you that we took a BIG hit on motorhome price. A mh big enough to full time in is not in much demand right now. Not many dearlers wanted to even talk trade. A 5er and a truck is much easier and cheaper to replace then a mh. We just got the 5er so can not yet speak to how we will like traveling in it. We have been busy arrangeing everything in our new home and enjoying it so far.
Duaneweg