Mouse problem

Another winter has gone by and we are having the same problem as before, the mice moved into the kitchen under the refrigerator and the drawers near it. any solution?? and some in the storage compartment. :(

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
A number of folks have reported that putting dryer sheets around the interior of the rig when you place it in storage deters them from taking up residence. I do that and it seems to work, so far. Trying to plug up all the openings with steel wool and expanding foam works to a degree, but there are some places you just can't fill in. Make sure the rig is cleaned and all food items are removed before putting it in storage.

Wharton

We have always used moth balls in the coach and basement................Never a problem and we store the trailer in a field................

SilverRhino

I've used both peppermint oil and dryer sheets. The dryer sheets are quicker and easier to find.....they have worked well for us. As others have said....block as many entrance sites as possible and don't leave any food stuff for the critters to picnic on!

Travel Safe!

watchthebox

I had a big problem with mice/rats in my truck and was starting to get them in my new Cyclone as well. I made defenses out of galvanized sheet metal placed around the wheels of my truck and my Cyclone. So far no mice inside. I don't use my Cyclone (or truck) very often, so it seems to be a good solution for me. Here's the thread showing it on my truck: //heartlandowners.org/showthread.php/14697-Mice-rats-trying-to-eat-my-truck!?p=112887&highlight=#post112887

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A furry mouse trap like the one below and drier sheets work well.

Attachments

• crazy cat 017 (Medium).jpg
    crazy cat 017 (Medium).jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 18

bobw103

I love the idea of the galvanized sheet metal around the wheels. We live in the woods in northern MN and I get mice in my car every fall. I am going to try wrapping the wheels not only on my Honda but on our brand spanking new Big Country when we get it. Thanks for that tip.

jimtoo

Hmmnn,,,, the rats we got in Texas would jest step over that shinney tin stuff,,, then they would chew holes in the tires to let the air out so they would not need to clim as high to get to the floor and chew the wiring out to get a little charge out of it, and the hole would already be started for em to get inside...don't know why they jest like to tare things up, but they do...and then once inside,,, they like reclinners,,,I guess kinda like most men... strech out and kick back...maybe have a snack..:D :D

ChopperBill

We got mice last year. Dryer sheets did NOTHING to keep them out. We bought a couple of those soundtronic mouse deterrents. NOTHING. Mouse traps caught 'em though. I know a guy that bought one of those electric battery operated mouse traps Mouse trap that he put is garage after nothing else worked said he got 6 of 'em at one time and cleaned the area out of mice in short order.

Up here in cold Canada I've used BOUNCE dryer sheets, no other dryer sheet works, and don't leave any food out. Our trailer has been parked with all bedding and camping equipment inside for 5 winters in a field close to the forest and never a problem.

rvn4fun

We just feed them poison! We keep a package in every compartment underneath. When we use to winterize we set mouse poison all mover rv, never had a dead mouse in the rv but some of the poison was missing so they have been there. I know we will have a problem with this BC as around the front legs and around the battery compartment there is a lot of open space for squirrels and mice to get in.

watchthebox

Hmmnn,,,, the rats we got in Texas would jest step over that shinney tin stuff
I was afraid that the rodents here would jump or climb over it too. It is only 12 inches tall. Some of the rats I've caught in rat traps have bodies up to 8 or 9 inches long. But so far, so good.

grampak

Another winter has gone by and we are having the same problem as before, the mice moved into the kitchen under the refrigerator and the drawers near it. any solution?? and some in the storage compartment. :(
Greetings . I am new to this, so if I do something wrong please forgive me. Mice are a problem. I am farmer and they get into everything. I have tried everything except the electronic stuff. Nothing has worked for me. On our grain storage walls in our quansets we use a piece of tin across the top of our 8 ft high wooden walls. They go up this walls with no problems, but they cant get around the 8 inch piece of tin nailed across the top. I came up with a plan using that idea. I made a frame work out of 1 x 8 wood that I can take apart and across the top i nailed on roof drip cap made out of tin. They can climb the wood no problem, but the cant get around the tin. I put this around both sets of tires. Then in the front two jacks I made a piece of square tubing to insert into the jacks with a piece of sheet 8 inch square sheet metal welded around it . They can climb the tubing, but they cant get around the sheet metal. I have seen mice climb up steel walls. Wow. I hate the things. I will try to add pictures, but if they dont go threw please contact me if interested. grampak I cant figure out how to send pictures at this time, sorry//heartlandowners.org/%5Cusers%5Cleon%5Cpictures%5C2009-12-28

regan

Regan
We dont like to use poison because if the little critter dies in the rig it smells for a long time. I finally settled on just old fashioned mouse traps, I keep two on each side of the basement. When we use the rig I just spring them and reset when the coach will be sitting for awhile. We also keep one electric mouse trap in the coach, A light flashes when it has accomplished its task.

With this setup we have had no mouse problem. Peanut butter works great as bait, lasts a long time and is not messy. I change the peanut butter out every few months.

tweber

Founding Wisconsin Chapter Leader-Retired
I put the dryer sheets around our BH, but I also use Decon poison. I have found the Decon disturbed and moved around, but no dead mice were found and there was no damage done by the visitors. I was told the poison makes the mice thirsty and they leave to look for water and food. I plugged a lot of little holes with steel wool, too. I guess the fall and early spring, when nights are cold and days are warmer, is when the rodents try to get into my unit.