Looking for good dealer to purchase a Big Country in Texas

LFD2037

I have spoke w/a few different dealers but not one of them do I really care for. Mismatched pricing, incorrect advertising(bait & switch), wise guys(slick talking car salesmen type), etc. I'm looking for an HONEST dealer, if there is such a thing anymore. Thanks for your input.

jimtoo

Hi LFD2037,

Your asking for the impossible. All salesmen are out to make a sale. I have had a very good relationship with ExploreUSA. They have 7 or 8 dealeships here in Texas. I have been very happy with my dealer in Seguin, TX. The guys that own ExploreUSA are very good at monitoring the sales locations, sales men and women and their service department. I do think they are the most honest dealer I have ever been in contact with, and I have been around awhile. Give this guy a call at ExploreUSA. I think he will make you happy.

Jim M

LFD2037

Thank you for your advice jimtoo. Now I'm gonna rant! Asking for the impossible? Really? Also, it's funny you mention them because they are the biggest one out there I've dealt w/showing me '11 via email, stating they are '10 & quoting a '10 discounted price only to find out they "accidentally put alot on their website w/the wrong year" & accidently stated that they were '10, not '11, & even when questioned a 2nd time about the year/color of the unit stated the same thing until you get there. "oh no, none of the silver ones are '11. We must have the wrong ones advertised as '10 & we gave you the wrong price. Thanks for bringing it to our attention(AGAIN). But yet they STILL have '11 advertised as '10 w/a lower price until you get there. Isn't this bait & switch? Isn't this illegal? Here's on that's still advertised as a '10. http://exploreusa.com/inventory_detail.php?id=3378 Any other dealers out there that are willing to do the "impossible" honest sale?

LFD2037

Just got a quote via email from another dealership. Not 1 single price on their "MSRP" price sheet matches the MSRP price sheet on here. Every one of their prices are higher. HUH?

ChopperBill

You cant tell much about a dealership until you make a few trips through their service department. Most salesman are vultures. But, will have to say that the guys at Windish RV in Longmont, CO are pretty good guys to deal with. It really helps if you are an experienced RV owner and know your product.

tmcran

Watch out for Explorer USA. I tired to deal with them before getting my RV. Quoted a great price on line. However, called to nail down the price and man did things qo south.

. Price was more than $ 3000.00 over on-line info. I had ask for a turn key cash price that included all taxes and etc. I never heard more crap in my life. Bought from a local dealer for much reduced price off MSRP. Have had very good dealer service. Big Country Frankiln RV-- Abilene,TX.---Not sure if time of year means anything but got mine last February when things were very slow.

SilverRhino

We've purchased two 5th wheels from Pharr RV in Lubbock TX....each time we have dealt with Curtis Hudson. They have always treated me fairly and from my experience have a very good service department.

MystrMagic

Magician
I too purchased from ExploreUSA in Seguin and my experience was a mixed bag. I was initially very impressed with the staff and their customer service attitude but by the time we finished the sale there were some disappointments and serious concerns about their integrity. After the sale I had some minor service issues taken care of at another dealership (out of state) and received fantastic service. However, they said they had great difficulty dealing with the Seguin staff regarding my unit. Of course the Seguin staff denied all the allegations but I also had problems myself with followup issues with the Seguin staff and came to the conclusion it was the Seguin staff causing the problem. Overall I'm satisfied with my purchase from them but there is still a bad taste in my mouth.

Here is my opinion after all is said and done. It doesn't really matter which dealership you deal with as long as you do your homework and absolutely know what you're doing. Never take the dealer's word for anything. Research prices across the Internet. Check specifications with other sources. Spend lots of time reviewing your intended unit on this forum and ask lots of questions. Go to Heartland's main website (www.heartlandrvs.com) and find every piece of information you can on the unit you're interested in. Call Heartland and ask their service department questions. When you finally do negotiate with your chosen dealer you will be in a position of strength and you will feel more in control. They will be less likely to take advantage of you.

When you walk through the unit at the time of delivery make certain you examine every inch of the unit for visual damage and proper function and document all issues on the paperwork. Take photos of any damage. Turn on/off everything and make sure every switch/light/appliance/tap, etc. (inside and out) works correctly. If not, write it on the paperwork and get a written agreement that the dealer will be responsible for it.

If you find the most honest, trustworthy dealer in the country things can still go wrong and mistakes can happen. Bottom line... don't "trust" the dealer for anything. Protect yourself and you will be much happier in the end.

By the way, Heartland was my choice above every other manufacturer on the market. I did my research.

Good luck in your search and eventual negotiations!

LFD2037

Thanks for the info. This will be my 3rd RV. I am a research maniac so I @ least have that on my side. When I start asking "informed consumer" questions is when things get weird. They either completely ignore me from then on out or tell me "good luck finding a unit. Thanks for your time". It seems they only want to deal w/people that have no clue of what is truely going on. I'm gonna check w/some of the dealers ya'll have mentioned on here. Thanks.

LFD2037

Just got a quote via email from another dealership. Not 1 single price on their "MSRP" price sheet matches the MSRP price sheet on here. Every one of their prices are higher. HUH?

I inquired as to why none of the prices on his "MSRP" sheet matched the MSRP sheet I had & I have not heard a peep back. That was 6 days ago!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
The MSRP on RV's is very flexible. The manufacturer will put out a recommended MSRP and the dealer will then set it where ever they want. Some many be higher and many will be lower. The ones that set it higher, in my opinion, do so to have negotiating room downwards. When it comes to buying an RV shop shop shop. We found a $10,000 lower price when we bought ours.

LFD2037

The MSRP on RV's is very flexible. The manufacturer will put out a recommended MSRP and the dealer will then set it where ever they want. Some many be higher and many will be lower. The ones that set it higher, in my opinion, do so to have negotiating room downwards. When it comes to buying an RV shop shop shop. We found a $10,000 lower price when we bought ours.
Do you know, for a fact, that dealers get to make their own MSRP sheets on campers? If so I think that's crazy! I know alot of dealers have their own 'MSRP sheets' but isn't it just another ploy to scam you out of more money? I thought it was more of a made-up gimmick that dealers had & not a REAL, TRUE standard in the business.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
All I can say is the MSRP from the manufacturer is not a mandatory thing but a suggestion. I have never worked for a dealer but I guess it would have been a truer statement to say there is the MSRP from the manufacturer and a DSRP (or dealer selling retail price). Jim B could weigh in with some info on this I am sure. The MSRP is not something the dealers are required to follow and that is why it is important to shop around. It is not like an auto dealer price.

gasman

Camp Socializer
Well it's not in Texas but we bought ours from Johnny Walker RV in Las Vegas. We are delighted with the way we were treated by everyone there, sales, service and parts. They were and still are very responsive. They own every unit on their lot so they don't have flooring overhead.

boatdoc

Here's a little trick some of us have used out here on the West Coast. Get the regional manager involved with your rig. Tell him you're sick and tired of all the salesperson crud and why there are so many different prices among dealers and you're going to go look at Jayco's. Boy, you talk about getting someone's attention!!! Out here, his name is Mike Mooreland and he's a great guy, never met him but he sure helped us on our 3670. Call Mother Heartland and get the rep's number and hopefully he'll help you out. Make sure he knows that you are'nt commited to any one dealer. He will also know exactly where the models are you like and what is comming your way in the near future.
Good Luck and have fun with them dealers!!!!!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
We've purchased two 5th wheels from Pharr RV in Lubbock TX....each time we have dealt with Curtis Hudson. They have always treated me fairly and from my experience have a very good service department.
I tried to buy more local from Pharr but they wanted $10k more than the northeast dealers. Pharr also told me if I bought my RV else where don't bother bring it to them for warrenty work!
The key is shop shop shop and don't trust any of them.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Also not in Texas but accross the line, Great Escapes RV, treated us good and good pricing second purchase from them on Heartland product.
In Mountain Home Arkansas, look up their web page.
Good Luck

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I'll put in a plug for the supporting dealer for our Houston rally last weekend. Kevin from Ron Hoover RV in Katy brought out two Big Country trailers to show. I have talked to the dealership before and was impressed with their honesty. They are a large dealer with five locations in Texas.

Good luck with your shopping.