suspension upgrade

Tankie

Has anyone had the center point or the morryde IS or any other one suspension installed and how do u like it? Thanks

cjbearden

Visitor
We had MorRyde IS, no lube hubs and disc brakes installed one year ago in Elkhart, IN. We feel it is one of the best investments we could have made for peace of mind. After sitting on the side of the interstate in Oklahoma two years ago in our former BH 3400RL with broken springs, we decided we would definitely upgrade our new LM Augusta with independent suspension. My husband believes the RV tracks better and is easier to maneuver. No more clanking noises when backing the RV! The disc brakes mean we can actually stop the RV now and don't worry when we are traveling the various elevations and highway grades. The techs at MorRyde are THE BEST. C.J.

Wharton

We had the Morryde IS suspension on our previous trailer and loved it. We should be getting our BH next week and in the fall we will be in Elkhart having Morryde put in the IS suspension. The trailer rides so much better with that suspension on. We had Heartland install never lube axles and 3.75" brakes so we should be fine.

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Check with TerryH and Larryheadhunter on this forum.

Jim

Hi Tankie, let me confess upfront I am not a techie, so take all my comments with a grain of salt.
Searching for a softer, less bouncy ride combined with 6K axles with 3 leaf springs that broke last summer, I made several suspension improvements including being upgraded to the 7K axles that included new brakes and 6 spring leaf set. This upgrade causes a rougher ride on the truck and inside the rig, as its a stiffer suspension, as many owners can attest. The Lippert West Coast technician replaced the axles and installed the Centerpoint Suspension, which replaces the equaflex, and adds two horizontal air bags, one on each side between the axles, with airbag gauge recommended to be set at 70 lbs. PSI. This also removes and replaces the useless semi-horizontal factory shocks that everyone complains about on this forum. My suggestion would be to read the available Centerpoint Manual at www.trailair.com, which would truly explain the purpose of this semi-air suspension and its benefits. FYI, Trail Air is now owned by Lippert. I can only tell you, since we made several other improvements to the suspension, my DW and I both noticed reduced bounciness, better control and side to side smoothness in ride and in turns due to the Centerpoint. When finished driving for the day, we noticed the inside of the rig looked exactly like it did when we had 6K axles, with nothing major out of place, including zero open cabinets and no dishes on the floor. All in all I would recommend Centerpoint Suspension for those who cannot afford the IS and disc brakes etc. expensive upgrade. You could call this the poor man suspension improvements. We made a few very choice other improvements including adding an air bag hitch, that I would have to say has heavily contributed to the smoother ride. Let me state clearly, the Centerpoint Suspension is just one step in softening your ride, but for the price Lippert is charging I think it was worth it. Don't forget you are driving a bucking truck, and a heavy rig, so a pothole or a poorly paved street will still shock you and roll your eyes a little, but at least it's not like demolition derby time any more.

Tankie

Larry, how often go u have to add air to the center point? Is the air pressure sensitive to air temp. changes? Thanks Lonnie

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
We also have the Morryde IS on our Bighorn. We did not opt for the brakes. So far we are extremely happy with the improvement and the peace of mind.

lwmcguir

Larry, how often go u have to add air to the center point? Is the air pressure sensitive to air temp. changes? Thanks Lonnie

Apparently we have a good tight system The air pressure has remained exactly the same for 6 months. We run a bit more on the heavy side of the coach to make it run perfectly level.

lwmcguir

Hi Tankie, let me confess upfront I am not a techie, so take all my comments with a grain of salt.
Searching for a softer, less bouncy ride combined with 6K axles with 3 leaf springs that broke last summer, I made several suspension improvements including being upgraded to the 7K axles that included new brakes and 6 spring leaf set. This upgrade causes a rougher ride on the truck and inside the rig, as its a stiffer suspension, as many owners can attest. The Lippert West Coast technician replaced the axles and installed the Centerpoint Suspension, which replaces the equaflex, and adds two horizontal air bags, one on each side between the axles, with airbag gauge recommended to be set at 70 lbs. PSI. This also removes and replaces the useless semi-horizontal factory shocks that everyone complains about on this forum. My suggestion would be to read the available Centerpoint Manual at www.trailair.com, which would truly explain the purpose of this semi-air suspension and its benefits. FYI, Trail Air is now owned by Lippert. I can only tell you, since we made several other improvements to the suspension, my DW and I both noticed reduced bounciness, better control and side to side smoothness in ride and in turns due to the Centerpoint. When finished driving for the day, we noticed the inside of the rig looked exactly like it did when we had 6K axles, with nothing major out of place, including zero open cabinets and no dishes on the floor. All in all I would recommend Centerpoint Suspension for those who cannot afford the IS and disc brakes etc. expensive upgrade. You could call this the poor man suspension improvements. We made a few very choice other improvements including adding an air bag hitch, that I would have to say has heavily contributed to the smoother ride. Let me state clearly, the Centerpoint Suspension is just one step in softening your ride, but for the price Lippert is charging I think it was worth it. Don't forget you are driving a bucking truck, and a heavy rig, so a pothole or a poorly paved street will still shock you and roll your eyes a little, but at least it's not like demolition derby time any more.

We have found the exact same results. We have Air on the truck and pin as well. The combination gives us the best ride we have ever had pulling all of our previous campers.

Tankie

Thanks for all your input. I have found a dealer/installer for the center point system in CA, waiting on price and shipping time frame. Sounds to me like you have to go to IN to have the Mor-RYDE IS installed, which is not an option. I also need new springs so I'll see where that leads. Thanks again Lonnie

Tankie

I have a tech working with Lippert on my spring issue now. I know I do not want the same springs I have now, they only lasted about 10,000 miles. If I go with the 4k spring the ride will be even more bone jarring than it already is, which is why I am interested in getting the CP.

yondering

Retired-Full Timer
Without getting too personal , would any of you guys give me a ballpark figure on the morryde IS , w/ disc brake and never lube setup. Thanks in advance , God Bless ya, Al Weaver

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Tankie...I see you are a Boilermaker so have you ever thought of just installing regular air bags yourself from the axle plate up to the frame? I'm guessing it will be a fraction of the cost of changing the entire system out? I'm lucky the Sundance's xlt's are over built suspension wise so overloading isnt a problem.

2010augusta

Without getting too personal , would any of you guys give me a ballpark figure on the morryde IS , w/ disc brake and never lube setup. Thanks in advance , God Bless ya, Al Weaver
From another thread on this same topic, here is a quote from Ralph and Pam.
We just got a price from Mor-Ryde this week to have 7,000 lb IS, Disk brakes and never lube bearings put on our 3670 RL for slightly over $5,000. with the biggest expense for the brakes. If you want 8,000 lb IS add $700. We are going to have the work done when we are back there in Sept.

Yianni

Thanks for all your input. I have found a dealer/installer for the center point system in CA, waiting on price and shipping time frame. Sounds to me like you have to go to IN to have the Mor-RYDE IS installed, which is not an option. I also need new springs so I'll see where that leads. Thanks again Lonnie

Check with Mor-Ryde. I thought I read they had opened a shop in Oregon.

smday

We got the Mor-Ryde IS, never lube, Disc brakes, and hitch for around $7500 for the triple axle. It was an very enjoyable 2000 mile ride home compared to the springs. They had a winter specail on for 10% off for Nov, Dec, Jan. Talk to Ben at Mor-Ryde Ben.Wiginton@morryde.com . I'm positve he told me that they had a shop out west now.

Tankie

westxsrt10, no I never have considered that option cause time is an issue working 50-60 wk and have to be in Alaska 1st part of May. Tech says at least the springs need to be replaced before I can move safely again.

I have a request for a qoute and shop info on west coast from Mor-Ryde. Will have more info Monday, depending what is covered if any by warranty will decide which route to take with suspension. Oregon would work out great. Thanks everyone ya'll have been very helpful.

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
I think this might be the place in Oregon people are talking about. Its located in Grants Pass, OR. Hendersons Lineup I don't know exactly what they do, but we are going to find out at the OR rally in June. They are good people to talk to and answer their email.
Kristy