Independent Shippers

karenh

I have decided to purchase a Big Horn from an out of state dealer (about 2400 miles away). Someone suggested that I list my shipping needs on Uship. I did that and have had several bids approximately $1,000 less than the amount quoted by the dealer. Has anyone has experience with Uship or any independent shippers? Is this a safe thing to do?
Thanks for any information you can give me.
karenh

RollingHome

I would STRONGLY suggest you forget buying distant and STRONGLY suggest you buy local and start to develope a repore with a local HL dealer. If not you will pay for it in the future, Pay now or pay later... but you will pay. You are purchasing a $50,000.00 Toy & "They" will get their $. YOU will NOT win this one. JMO

Rickhansen

karenh,
When we purchased our 3670, we shopped and did the deal via phone and internet. We did not, and still don't don't own a vehicle capable of handling the Bighorn. We had the dealer deliver our rig to us in North Carolina from his location in Western Michigan. He, of course charged for this, but it was a very reasonable fee. Because of our full-time status, we also purchased a 7-year extended warranty. The driver who hauled it North Carolina was an independent driver hired by the dealer. He also knew the other independent driver who had hauled from Elkhart to Michigan a couple days earlier. The only thing we "missed out" on through the traditional sales process was a comprehensive PDI. The dealer had supposedly done one, in our absence, at their facility; The driver simply delivered the rig, and received the necessary signatures. We were comfortable doing this because of 1) my ability to make most repairs on my own, 2) familiarity with RV's, appliances, and their operation. 3) Heartland's reputation, and 4) the extended warranty plan we had purchased. We have not had a single warranty issue in 2+ years of full-time living. That is not to say that the rig was perfectly designed and built, as it was delivered. We've had many of the same workmanship issues, and performed some of the same Mod's that you can spend weeks reading about on this forum. (It would be safe to bet that you will have them too, regardless of your purchase arrangement or PDI) Again, I am of the mindset that I'd rather fix the problem myself, if at all possible, than rely on a dealers $8/hour "technician" to do the work properly on their schedule. When you live in your RV, a trip to the dealer for several weeks is not a good option.

Several months later, I was reassigned to Florida - again no tow vehicle. I called about a dozen drivers that I had located through a variety of sources. Most of these were not an option due to price, terms, professionalism, and just not having "comfortable" answers on insurance, their tow vehicles, etc. I found another independent operator, from a bulletin board in a campground. He towed with Ford F-650, had a commercial license and insurance, (is a county Deputy Sheriff) and was willing to drive to NC and tow me to Florida on my schedule. Again, a perfect business transaction, and cheaper than a new truck.

As you see from our signature - "still no tow vehicle" and I'm probably getting ready to go through this again. (My first call will be to the gentleman who brought us to Florida 2 years ago) I have not used U-Ship or any other brokers, so can't offer much there. This lifestyle philosophy probably won't work for us forever but in the meanwhile, it does.

I guess to summarize MY advice.... You can do this, but you have to get comfortable with your situation, your resources, and it pays to do your homework on these "transactions". In your case, I'd be concerned about the liability in transit, and the transaction (paperwork and PDI) on your end.

Someone suggested that you need to develop a relationship with your local dealer. Here's MY OPINION of that - Through the years, I've done business with many good (and poor) dealers on RV's, cars, motorcycles, etc. The "relationship" with them is formed solely through each transaction and how much of your money that they can put in their pocket. I've never had one of them do me any favors. Many offer excellent conversation, advice, service, etc. That's good customer retention, and PR skill, but that's certainly no guarantee that your next transaction with them will be consistently good, or equitable.

You owe it to yourself to protect yourself financially. If you can save a significant piece of your money, and assume those risks comfortably, then the choice is clear.

noobee

If you have the unit shipped to you, you will miss an important step in the buying process, the PDI/Walkthru. IMHO: a thorough PDI/Walkthru is mandatory.

CS

branson4020

Icantre Member
With the $10k I saved over what my local dealer was willing to do, I was happy to forgo the dealer PDI/walkthrough. But then I do my own work and this is not my first 5th wheel.

karenh

Thank you for all of the great information! We really don't have any nearby dealers to work with, but there is an RV Service Center authorized to do Heartland Warranty and Repair work not far away. The savings by going out of stay were well over $10,000! Certainly worth it to us. We have had a variety of motor homes, trailers and fifth wheels, so we are very comfortable with how everything works and how to handle minor repairs.
I will certainly do my homework as you suggested before hiring a hauler.

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
Be very, very carefull and wary of 99.9% of the guys on Uship, most don't have the operating authority and if they are caught hauling for hire they will be shut down on the spot leaving you in another dilema.

Often too they may be using their companies operating athority illegally on a reload..... see above if caught.

They also won't have the cargo insurance to protect you. And there are tons of idiots out there.

I suggest you contact

These are the the largest RV transport companies. Often there are trucks from any one of these carriers in about any state every day.

Rickhansen

Be very, very carefull and wary of 99.9% of the guys on Uship, most don't have the operating authority and if they are caught hauling for hire they will be shut down on the spot leaving you in another dilema.

pmmjarret,
This is the perfect thread for you to chime in on on. You are indeed the resident expert on this topic (and building cool trucks). I negated to mention in my earlier post to this thread that I did verify the licensing and insurance coverage for the gentleman that contracted for a "lift" to Florida a couple years ago. He did haul for hire routinely and owned his Tow Vehicle. I contracted directly with him, not through a broker or carrier.

Please explain the term "Operating Authority" for me, though. How is that different from licensing (CDL) and commercial insurance coverages?

pmmjarrett

Not just tired..... RETIRED!!!
pmmjarret,
This is the perfect thread for you to chime in on on. You are indeed the resident expert on this topic (and building cool trucks). I negated to mention in my earlier post to this thread that I did verify the licensing and insurance coverage for the gentleman that contracted for a "lift" to Florida a couple years ago. He did haul for hire routinely and owned his Tow Vehicle. I contracted directly with him, not through a broker or carrier.

Please explain the term "Operating Authority" for me, though. How is that different from licensing (CDL) and commercial insurance coverages?

Interstate Operating Authority

They are required to be registered with the FMCSA have a US DOT number

Carriers that have been in business prior to 1995 will also have an ICC number that was issued by the interstate commerce commission prior to the Surface transportation board taking. The old ICC number also dictated what a carrier was authorised to move.

These numbers are the prime source that allow a customer to check a carriers ability to legally perform an interstate move and see if they are operating legally.

To protect yourself you can look up companies by their USDOT # / Name Here or their Operating Autority Here