What's your favorite carry weapon?

Lynn1130

You are correct on the changes in qualification intervals. That is what happens when you are away from it for awhile. A change I did not keep up with.

And not knocking our men and women in blue but they really shoot no better or worse than anyone else. I have watched as more than one or two have taken all day to qualify running through the course more than once!

I think you verified my point in the previous post.

avvidclif

I guess the crooks can roll the dice. Get in a gunfight with one of those that barely can qualify or one that just happens to be on the dept pistol team and shoots several times a week. "Are you feeling lucky"

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I am staying at the NRA Whittington Center Campground near Raton, NM right now...just arrived yesterday!

Nice place...and I feel very safe here! :eek:

I don't own any guns right now but am going to shop the store here either today or tomorrow.

Not sure what I need, but I think that maybe a shotgun and a handgun of some sort is in order.

Now that I'm full-timing (this is the first stop on my journey), I feel the need to be prepared (after all, I was a Boy Scout back in the day).

danemayer

I don't own any guns right now but am going to shop the store here either today or tomorrow.

Not sure what I need, but I think that maybe a shotgun and a handgun of some sort is in order.

Now that I'm full-timing (this is the first stop on my journey), I feel the need to be prepared (after all, I was a Boy Scout back in the day).

John,

As you'll be traveling, perhaps to more states than previously visited, you might want to spend 99 cents on the Legal Heat App so you can keep up to date on laws in different states. Some places are very unfriendly toward gun ownership. As I understand it, even if your RV is your home, once you hitch up and disconnect utilities, the RV can in some locations be treated as an extension of your truck, rather than as your home.

The app is worth 99 cents for sure.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John,

As you'll be traveling, perhaps to more states than previously visited, you might want to spend 99 cents on the Legal Heat App so you can keep up to date on laws in different states. Some places are very unfriendly toward gun ownership. As I understand it, even if your RV is your home, once you hitch up and disconnect utilities, the RV can in some locations be treated as an extension of your truck, rather than as your home.

Thanks Dan!

I'm in research mode right now so this app will help!

Dennyha

John,

I use this app all of the time. It updates to the latest info most times I open it.

- - - Updated - - -

I like the new Sig P-365. May put it on my list.
I’m looking to buy one of these as soon as I can find one for sale. At the moment, everyone is out of stock except for gunbroker where they are seriously marked up.

avvidclif

I am staying at the NRA Whittington Center Campground near Raton, NM right now...just arrived yesterday!

The people at that store should be very knowledgeable. I would go by their recommendations. Since you have to live (IE Drivers license) in the state of purchase (for handguns) I don't know how fulltimers would handle that. Answers out there???

porthole

Retired
Still would be wise to double check with enthusiast in states you may visit.

New Jersey is in the process right now of making 6 new additions to our state laws, which are already among the strongest in the Country.
Most are very similar to existing laws and are unneeded (such as armor piercing ammo).

But, some of the proposed changes are somewhat controversial and are nothing more then attempts go for full confiscation.

The armor piercing is something to watch. Originally the law was geared around hand gun ammo or pistol caliber. In the current state as it is written most rifle ammo will be illegal. Armor piercing which used to relate to kevlar vests no longer include the vest stipulation.

Magazine capacity. We are currently at 15 rounds, new law is 10. There are provisions for law enforcement, exemptions for active duty, on and off duty, retired with state issued or the HR and licensed to carry security. The exemption for this group is 15 rounds. That becomes a problem for all agencies that carry the very popular glock 17 and all patrol rifles issued with 30 round magazines.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If you’re going to buy a handgun and have it in your vehicle, you better get a Concealed Pistol License from the same state that issued your drivers license. A lot of states will only recognize a CPL issued by the state you’re a legal resident of, not a non-resident one. That info is also on Legal Heat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Curious, has anybody ever had to pull or fire their gun when camping? I've camped in public and private campgrounds and have never felt threatened. What kind of places are people camping at that need a gun? I want to stay away from those places!

When I decided to conceal carry it was/is a lifestyle decision. I carry everywhere I go because you never know if/when a "situation" will arise. Except when I plan on having a drink or two.
Ruger lcp .380 w/Crimson Trace.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

porthole

Retired
I know I have brought it up before, but it would be very wise when traveling in the north east to be aware of the laws.

As for Jersey, NJ does not recognize ANY out of state permit.
The only way to legally CC in New Jersey is to be an active LEO or retired with a HR218.

It is nearly impossible to get a CCP in NJ, you have a better chance of hitting the lottery.

If you do travel with a pistol into our great state, and you are not a “permitted” person, the glove box (or console) is absolutely a no go.
Locked up in the trunk with the ammo separate. And we have laws on where and how you can transit with a pistol in your vehicle, even locked in the trunk.

Oh, and keep the hollow points, dum dum’s (yes, we still use that term in the laws) and armor piercing locked away, preferably home.

If you’re going to buy a handgun and have it in your vehicle, you better get a Concealed Pistol License from the same state that issued your drivers license. A lot of states will only recognize a CPL issued by the state you’re a legal resident of, not a non-resident one. That info is also on Legal Heat.

That is "Fake News" John; Check USACarry.com for the most update reports. You will also find out which states have reciprocity with your current CPL license.

travlingman

Handgun is a personal preferance between a revolver or automatic. I like revolver and went with a Ruger LCR .357. Thinking of getting a pocket auto, maybe Ruger LCP.

For a shotgun for protection, I have a Mossberg Shockwave. I have the 12 gauge, they have just added a 20 gauge. The gun is just over 24" in total length and no special permits are required from the federal government. But you will need to check with local because of the small size. I can use mini shells and load up to 10 rounds in the gun. Its small size make manuvering in halls, around doors very easy. Remington also has a version of this.

Last edited:

dave10a

If I become paranoid enough to have a fire arm for protection-- I would get the Judge which handles .410 shot gun or 45 colt.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
That is "Fake News" John; Check USACarry.com for the most update reports. You will also find out which states have reciprocity with your current CPL license.

Not fake news. USCCA, Legal Heat, and USA Carry all use the same maps. You need to read the fine print about resident and non-resident permits and who honors what. Michigan, for one, does not honor permits issued to you if you are not a resident of the issuing state (aka. non-resident permit).

danemayer

Colorado honors permits from most states, but only if held by a resident of the issuing state.

The LegalHeat maps, in my opinion, portray this more clearly than USACarry.

Both sources are probably banned in New Jersey. :p