Screen Door Opener

hillsonwheels

Inspired by Ray LeTourneau on his screen door opener, I used a heat gun and a plastic coat hanger and bent a push rod up.

Works great - check out the pictures below.

Dick

Attachments

• door_outside_ope&#.jpg
    door_outside_ope&#.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 342
  • door_outside_clo&#1.jpg
    door_outside_clo&#1.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 319
  • door_inside_open&#.jpg
    door_inside_open&#.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 321
  • door_inside_clos&#1.jpg
    door_inside_clos&#1.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 303

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The CW version is what I installed, although I was inspired by Ray's set up. With the CW one, there is no obstruction to the opening if you want to pass small items in and out and not open the door. Also got the CW version of the door bar for the screen door. Again, copied from Ray.

osims

bsims
Our screen door opener was manufactered and installed by LeTourneau Ind. and has performed flawlessly.
Bill

ChopperBill

I have put one of those do-dads on every screen door I have had. The new BH has a clear plastic door of a different style. Have to figure a new one out.

patrick1945

Cannot find on CW website. Do you have a link.

Pat

The CW version is what I installed, although I was inspired by Ray's set up. With the CW one, there is no obstruction to the opening if you want to pass small items in and out and not open the door. Also got the CW version of the door bar for the screen door. Again, copied from Ray.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
Last weekend I installed both products from CW: Screen Door Cross Bar & Screen Door Opener. Both took a total of 1 hour from start to finish. The 2010 Sundance 2900MK has a clear plexiglass slide that has to be slid over to reach the screen door latch. With the installation of the"CAMCO" brand opener, no more sliding it open. I believe you might even find these items at your local RV store or at the mega WalMart. It was worth the investment.

sjrellis

I guess I'm missing something...what is the problem that created these solutions?

On another screen door handle note...our handle has broken off where the handle meets the brace...broken and glued MANY times. Jim bought a new handle at CW thinking he got the correct one, NOT! The brace part that screws onto the door is too wide and therefore will not allow the door to close. So, it has been glued back again. From the pictures, I would suspect that the pressure put on the handle from the thing ya'll added could break the handle(?).

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I guess I'm missing something...what is the problem that created these solutions?

On another screen door handle note...our handle has broken off where the handle meets the brace...broken and glued MANY times. Jim bought a new handle at CW thinking he got the correct one, NOT! The brace part that screws onto the door is too wide and therefore will not allow the door to close. So, it has been glued back again. From the pictures, I would suspect that the pressure put on the handle from the thing ya'll added could break the handle(?).
Sandra, Hi! How are you guys? For me, the reason I did the screen door opener mod was to make it simpler to exit the RV (while the main door is latched open) without having to slide the panel open to access the handle. Ya just push down on the button, walk out and close the door. It also means you don't have to remember to slide the panel closed to keep out bugs. For us it just makes life easier. The design also prevents any unnecessary side force on the handle which may cause it to break. I guess it must have been a pretty good idea for someone else to come up with a different version to do the same thing and sell it at Camping World and numerous other places. Just think, had I tried to patent it, maybe I would be rich right now. Nah, not likely.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
OK folks, here is the skinny come by our rig and you will see the finished product and no more problems,. but you got to wait see ya in Nashville!
Mike

sjrellis

Ray, we are fine. Thanks for asking. Thanks for the explanation. I certainly understand keeping the bugs out...Jim left it open last week and a wasp flew in!

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
For the folks going to the rally in July, I'll have a supply of these. If I run out, bring a wire coat hanger and we'll make one.

boatdoc

After seeing Ray's little blurb in one of the publications I made one out of a bicycle spoke down South this past winter. A buddy and I ended up running all over the campground doing them for people. We wound up putting beads and other little goodies on the spoke to liven up it's looks, boy we must of been bored that day or two. The small, I mean tiny bike shop in Blythe, couldn't figure out why so many spokes of one size were being bought.