Truck recommendations for 2011 Big Country 3450TS

rmckee6

My wife and I are picking up a new 3450TS this month and are currently searching for a tow vehicle. We have been told by several people that the 2500HD Duramax will tow it but will be at the limit. So we started looking at a 3500HD Duramax dually. 2wd vs 4wd? Since there is so much experience on this site please provide information so we can make the best decision for our first experience in the RV world.

3450TS Details:
Length 38'4"
Hitch weight: 2,200 lb
Dry Weight: 11,950 lb
Gross Weight: 15,500 lb

Thank you for your wisdom.

Bobby

jimtoo

Hi Bobby,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure you will get more answers, but personally I would go with the 3500HD Duramax dually. Unless you think you really need the 4wd, I say no to the extra expense.

Enjoy the forum.

Jim M

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Whatever you decide on you need to check the tow ratings of the vehicle to be sure you are within the limits. Be real about it too and no fudging. Remember it is better to have more than you need so if you need more you have it. I can personally attest to the fact at the Escapade in Sedalia, Mo it rained several days and many many RVs were stuck. The wreckers had a field day towing trucks and RVs, and Motorhomes. There were many who had 4 wheel drive tow vehicles that did not get stuck. I for on got stuck and a dude with a 4x4 Ford Pickup pulled me attached to my Landmark out. After that experience I swore my next truck would have 4 wheel drive, which I have now. So, look at how and where you plan to camp, look at what you are towing, and look at the tow ratings of the vehicles. I for one towed with a SRW truck for years thinking I didn't need a dually, and now that I have a dually I would not go back. Good luck in your search. BTW IMHO Ford rules (no federal bailout money taken).

Gaffer

Go with one ton for sure. Almost every one of the 3/4 tons are overloaded on the rear axel. It only takes a little wet grass, some mud, sand or snow to make you wish you had 4WD. Worth it just for piece of mind.

Towing a large rig in questionable weather...no question, a 4x4 is the way to go. A dually will give you the stability you want and the 1 ton load capacity will give you the suspension you need. No helper springs or airbags needed. I have the 2005 F-350 Dually with the 6.0L powerstroke diesel and 3.73 gears. It pulls hard and straight. Many I associate with have the 4:30 gears and I think they can pull their rigs straight up a wall. What a torque monster. All of the one ton's have great transmissions no matter it be a Chevy or a Ford or a Dodge. They are heavy duty trucks...go with what your brand loyalty says to you. I am partial to the Ford but that is just my opinion. Enjoy your search and post pics when you get your new tow vehicle.

DXprowler

Bottom line... All kinds of issues including safety would be limited with a 4x4 1 ton dually! Not trying to sell you but if you don't like the idea of the extra size and expense of a dually look at a Ford F350 SWD. No question in my mind living were I do, a 4x4 is a must, but in FL I think you could get away with 2x2. I use mine primarily in slippery snowy and rainy conditions or on steep gravel campground approach roads. Also, as said before, it depends on how adventurous you are off road. Maybe put the savings of a 2x2 towards a tow if you ever needed it! But definitely go for the 1 ton as a 3/4 ton is a bit under capacity, in my opinion, for that size of trailer (BC3450 = 15,500 GVWR).

bill40

As you can see we have a BC3500RL and a one ton. Don't cut yourself short, as said before all three will do a great job, stick to what you like. We have 4 wheel drive have only used it a three or four times with the BC attached but was glad we had it ( snow almost every time). I tend to use it more when we are empty and have snow here in Pa. Enjoy your rig. Bill

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
A 1tn duelly is your best bet. You might want to look at the 2011 Chevy. It will be the big dog out this year. Over 400 HP, upwards of 750 lb of torque. GCVW rating of 27,500 lb's. It has a new frame under it now.

Jimgratz, your point was well taken....but you need to find out where Ford got there money to stay in business. They where in bad shape also.

RollingHome

Bobby,

I'm sure by now in your stage of life, you have come to realize, " everyone has an opinion" and I'm sure you know the rest of the story. There's one thing I've observed at my age, everyone thinks their opinion is right ! Don't listen to anyone including me ! Instead, look at the numbers, if your new unit weighs more than your Tow Vehicle (TV) can pull by the Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) i.e. Ford, Chevy Dodge, and then you are illegal - period! Do this and the police can make life real ugly for ya !. Let me give you a real life example, I pulled my 3670 RL home from the dealer without any problem (MD to PA = 150 miles). The tow went fine and I felt safe... BUT, I was illegal per OEM and RV weight ! Yikes ! So I went looking for a LEGAL TV... Quite by luck I found a Chevy 3500HD (8' Long Bed, Dually, Diesel) on the lot, really loaded (I mean really loaded) and I bought it ! However, the Fords are really hot, they even make a short bed 1 ton as does Dodge and GM doesn't ( dumb ). Also, the Dodge and Ford are really nice looking trucks. My opinion here, the Dodges are stagnant in their design, Fords are not. It was a tough decision for me and as it should be for you and others IF objectivity is the deciding factor. The dodge using the Cummins diesel is the cat's meow... anyone saying different is just jealous, period :) BUT, ya look at the FORD and ya gotta luv the face on that beast, it's just tough :) My Cheby, man it is so..o..o smooth with the Alison 6 speed tranny that I'am in pig heaven every time I cancel cruise and coast up to the red light 1/4 mile away and hear it down shift as if I know what I doin. With the weight of today’s Luxury 5 th wheels I honestly believe you should consider a 1 ton (or more TV). Honestly, what brand you choose should be a decision you make, based on your likes and dislikes. I may be wrong, but I believe the Dodge products are more favorably priced at this time and they still look tough ! JMO Tom

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
For those of you that really don't know where Ford got its money it was from basically mortgaging everything that Ford owned including all plants and assets and even the Ford blue oval. At the time it was viewed as a last ditch effort to stay in business. It ended up being a good move because the economy and banking system collapsed and no one wopuld loan GM or Chrysler money in the same way since now all auto assets were viewed as garbage. Ford already had there cash, but in the coming years they still owe that money and i believe they have a huge payment, somewhere around 11 billion, due next year. As with all the companies, none are out of the woods yet.

Joel

We drag a 34' 5th wheel now that weighs more than the 3595RE that we have ordered. I have a '08one ton Dodge 6.7 diesel dually and don't have any problems getting down the road and over every mountain pass without any problems.

So I would recommend a dodge 1 ton 6.7.. MHO

Last edited:

rvn4fun

We switched to 2 wheel drive from a 4 wheel drive, sometimes miss 4 wheel drive, but being semi retired if we need 4 wheel drive to move somewhere we just stay put until wheather or roads clear or dry. Definetly go with a dually to pull.

We currently have a Sierra 325bht, but are upgrading soon to a BC 3450ts. We pull with a 2008 F-450, 6.4 diesel, 4x4, 6 speed manual, with 4.88 gears. It pulls like a beast. The 3450 will be a little heavier, but I am rated for 24k. Definitely go for dual wheels, what ever brand you prefer and definitely diesel. My old TV was a F-250, not enough tire on the ground, too much wiggle in turns and very unstable..... Too much truck is never enough!

Javabean

Ram is coming out with a 2011.5 3500 with 800lbs of torque and a tow capacity of around 22000. Dodge doesn't use urea fluid and met 2010 epa standards in 2007.5. Cummins had a rebuild of 350000 miles. The new Powerstroke is not proven yet and has a rebuild of 250000. The Duramax has a rebuild of only 200000.
Dodge is $8-10K less initial investment than Ford and GM and there is a $9000.00 difference in operating costs between the Dodge and Ford and GM. Before trading my 2008 GMC for a Dodge Cummins I did several months of research. I have owned two Fords, 3 GMCs and two Doge Cummins. From all the research I did the Cummins is by far the most reliable over all. I love Ford trucks and I almost bought a 6.0 Powerstroke until I found out it would take $5K in modifications to make it reliable. The 7.3 Powerstroke was and is the most reliable of them all. I only have 3000 miles on my 2011 Cummins and so far it has been outstanding and fuel economy is better than my 2008 GMC 1/2 ton. And who doesn't like the heated steering wheel any my Lab moves the heated rear seats. Your TV is like your trailer get what best fits your personal wants and needs but above all don't overload whatever you get better safe than sorry.