Gray Tank Leaking Slowly or Not Draining Completely or Gray Water Leaking Inside of Entire Underbelly

I own a 2010 Big Country 3550TSL. Recently my entire rear #2 Gray tank unloaded into my underbelly. After the foul stench had subsided, my repair men showed me how the tank was mounted. The incredible sag in the tank caused it to pull away from the connection to it's drain line. Now sagging in the tank wouldn't normally present a problem right? Except the drain pipe was installed running UPWARD from the tank, then turning at an elbow and ran up to the front (through a perfectly level line!) where it's respective valve pull was. So naturally we wondered how water is supposed to drain upward, and then through a level line, and actually drain adequately? Well it doesn't. So this is the potential cause of your gray tanks draining slowly. It would also be the cause of your tank not draining completely and the reading on your panel never showing "empty" after you've supposedly drained it. Whether you manage to get Heartland to fix it or not, it is a FUNDAMENTAL DESIGN FLAW. There is only ONE solution. The drain for the tank needs to be rerouted to a newly created closer valve that ultimately sits LOWER than the Gray Tank. That's just how gravity works. I cannot speak for all models but that is the solution for mine. But the way I see everyone's tanks sagging this could present a potential problem for many designs. And many may not even realize this problem if they always park with the gray valves 'open'.
IMG_0867..jpgIMG_0872..jpgIMG_0879..jpgIMG_0870..jpg

I have noticed other posts about tanks leaking slowly due to the hole that was cut out at the factory and left inside the tank. (WHY???) But this my friends is proof that that is not the problem in my case.

I hope this helps someone.:confused:

Northern Virginia
I'm glad you posted this. I also have a problem with my galley tank draining slowly and not completely. I have looked at the plumbing lines for the two front tanks but not the rear. I will have to see if my drain pipe is also plumbed uphill.

John