M18 Bathroom and bunk suggestions

Gillbiss

I have just bought a M18 and for me there are two majors improvements needed in this trailer.

First of all, 100lb for the upper bunk is not enough. It should be easy to install supports that rest on the lower bed to improve that.

Finally, the shower is just to small to be used. Why not install a bath and place the sink over it. We will have to dry it after a shower buy who care. I prefer the sink in the bath than the toilet !

However it the beautifulest trailer I have seen that can be pulled by a minivan.

Gilles Bissonnette, waiting for a non-delivered yet 2011 M18

jimtoo

Hi Gillbiss,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

I'm sure the factory will see your post and suggestions and consider them. We hope you enjoy your new unit and become familiar with it as you are one of the first. So a lot of other people may be asking for information.

Mean while, while waiting on your new unit, enjoy the forum.

Jim M

rick_h

I had the same issue with the bunk and didn't notice the 100 lb sticker till after we bought it (my bad). In a rush I did a bunk mod from 2 x 3 lumber and 1/2 ply. I plan on covering the supports with something more aesthetically pleasing and the front section with carpet. I made 2 - 18 inch sections and one 16 inch section so they can be removed and stored when the kids aren't along.

IMG00052-20100508-1&.jpg
Rough fit - 2 inch angle iron is the bunk support (now painted white)
IMG00053-20100508-2&.jpg
SemiFinished

M

Mcreech

I just wanted to say thank you on the purchase of the Edge and I will take your idea's / suggestion to the production team....Thanks Mike C

Gillbiss

Wow ! Quick answers ! Thanks Jim and Mcreech for your nices comments.

We had the same problem and the same Idea Rick The seller told me that the bunk can support 200 lbs (no sticker in the demo). It help me a lot to see how you did that. However, in order to have my wife accept this project, I will have to find a way to keep the actual folding bunk!

Thank you very much for the pictures and sharing your knowledge.

I have a question for you Rick, I read that the AC is not strong enough for the M21. Did you have any problem in the M18 ?

Gilles

rick_h

Gillbiss,

We only used the AC once last year (really crappy summer last year). That time was in a thunderstorm with 8 people crowded in and 2 dogs. So it really didn't keep up - but no surprising with that much heat load in the trailer.

You could do something similar to what I did. But the only way I can think to do that is to remove the whole thing, install angle iron with supports similar to how I did, have about 3/8 of an inch trimmed off each end of the original shelf/bunk, then reinstall it. We wanted to be able to sleep 2 up top. I did keep the original parts so in the event we trade up we can restore it to original if desired.

Good luck and post pics!

Enjoy your edge we love ours.

Larry77

Been in some fairly hot weather last summer (95 degrees plus) and never had a problem with it not keeping up...same complaints about the bed and shower that you guys have though. I just don't try to use the shower...usually stay in parks with showers or just "wash-up" in the shower.

a1avet

Liv'in on the Edge with a Vue
Good morning, I know that I am new to RV camping, well, I have not even had our first trip yet. With that said I am curious what others say about my idea of a new floor plan for a M21.
I look at camping as the main living quarters is outside the camper is the Dorm room w/bathroom
1) Enlarge the slide out to at least 80" for reason #2
2) Use the slide area for Bunks the bottom bunk could double as a daybed maybe.
3) The counter in the bathroom can be a little smaller that it shows.
4) place a full size shower and small to medium wardrob.
5) Maybe make the master bed a full Queen size & as slideout but Slide forward a foot or so.
Everything else can stay the same.

Just a thought.

camr

The small size of the slide out was the deciding factor that led us to purchase the M22. It is a larger TT than the two of us need, but the small size of the slide out on the M21 precludes any chance of sleeping more than two adults. We, probably like many, use the bunk area for storage. My ideal TT would be an M21 with a slide as large as the M22, complete with the larger shower/bathroom of the M21.
We love how easily our '09 Enclave pulls the M22, and it would be even better with the M21, even if they had to lengthen it slightly to accommodate a longer slide.
Thanks, Heartland, for a great RV experience.

KJR

How does one standing in the the shower adjust the water flow for the shower when the shower head is connected to the sink faucet?

With the corner shower how does the shower curtain stay within the shower pan so that water doesn't get all over the floor?

I havent' seen an Edge M18 yet but looking at the photos this shower arrangement doesn't seem very user friendly.

There are two options:
1. Yell at your spouse or kids!
2. Reach out and turn up the water.

We have showered numerous times this summer in the corner shower of our M22. I never had a problem with the curtain moving out of the basin. I did have a problem with water running down the walls, onto the top ledge of the basin and onto the floor. This was easily fixed with a couple of shower corners and some silicone. I installed them such that any water had to flow into the basin.

The shower is small but both my wife and I are glad they didn't waste anymore space on the bathroom. We're also glad not to have to shower on top of our toilet. Although small, the shower is YOUR shower not a camp shower. Additionally it is more or less a million times better than the shower in a tent!