I guess I am lucky, sure can use it.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
Well I was getting ready to hook up the truck last Thursday to take the camper to the local campground for the first rain-free weekend we have had in a long time. When I started the truck it ran real rough. Almost died but I kept on the accelerator to keep her running. I drove along the driveway and heard clanging and a real poor puttering. Sounded like a Dodge. Was very confused-upset and worried. I decided to try and drive it to the local dealer but could only get it to go 25 miles per hour. When I came to a stop sigh it almost died again. Once I got going it only then would go 15 miles per hour so I decided to turn around and go home. Called a tow truck and then proceeded to call the dealership. They asked when was the last time I had changed my fuel filter. I couldn't remember and thye couldn't find where I had done it recently. I have 97,000 miles on my 2003 Silverado. They said it could be as simple as a fuel filter and that would make me very happy. Well Friday rolled around and late in the afternoon I talked with the service department and after replacing the fuel filter and air filter and repairing a broken wire in the wiring harness for the fuel injectors they still had many codes and decided it was time to change all of the fuel injectors. Well lucky for me they are warranted for 200,000 miles so I will be taken care of. Well this ruined our weekend as far as camping goes but feel very fortunate for having the fuel injectors covered under warranty. Even so I still have about 15 days left on my extended warranty. They told me it is at least a 20 hour tear-down. So we'll see how this goes this coming Monday and Tuesday. I am sure I will have to visit my sick truck and encourage it to be tough.

jimtoo

Hi Mark,,, that's to bad and hopefully it is injectors and covered by warranty. It's good that it happened before you got hooked up and on the road to the campgrounds. Let us know the outcome.

Jim M

ChopperBill

With those new 2 micron fuel filters I cant bet by without changing mine about every 10,000 miles. Always change mine just before towing season.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Mark, the beginning of your episode sounds exactly as mine did a year ago. Bad wire in ECM connector (not), then the injectors were replaced. They finally figured out I had pulled a real bonehead move and put in 20 gallons of unleaded:eek:. There's a thread about it here somewhere.

mrcomer

Hi Ray,
I remember your thread very well and still feel bad for you. It crossed my mind that I may have done the same thing but feel very confident I did not. That's is not to say sme bad person didn't come to my house and dump a bunch of gas in my tank as my truck has been sitting out in the weather for about a year now. If there were gas in my truch I think they would have caught it when they replaced the fuel filter-----I hope.

If there really was a broken wire then I am more interested in what made it break and what is in place to keep it from happening again.

Mark

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Interesting little story. I did the unleaded mistake just before leaving our Son's place in IL. Since that episode, I've been back to the same place several times to fuel up but being much more carefull to watch what I'm doing. I noticed on the island that houses the diesel pump, on one side, all three handles for three different fuels, have a black sleeve. On the other side, three sifferent colors, black, green and blue. Still my fault but it sure would have made it more obvious if they had the handles colored correctly. HEY!! See you in July right?

mrcomer

Yes. I intended on being ther in July. I have made my early arrival reservations with the KOA already. Sure could use a little R&R.

loafer

Hey Mark
Sorry to hear of your troubles .I had to get new injectors for my 1999 chevy 454 before we left .Well we have made it to Vermont so so far so good . Just need to make it to the East coast then back to the Ohio rally of yours. Hope all is well when you get back to the dealer ( no camping no fun ).
best of luck
Bill

mrcomer

Yes I sure did. They said it was a 20 hour+ tear down so there is a lot of cash just in labor and I suppose the injectors themselves are pretty pricey. Someone is definitely looking out for me.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Mark, I think that they are about $300.00 each X 8. Thank goodness the 04 1/2 went to the outside injectors. You dont have to take the whole top of the engine apart to get to them.

mrcomer

Wow, I have no idea what it takes to change them out. Sounds like the newer than mine models are better designed for that.

mrcomer

Just got my truck back yesterday 5-25-2010. They had called me last Friday and left a voicemail on my cell phone to call them. Their tone in their voice didn't sound good. Well I ended up visiting the dealership to visit my sick truck. They informed me that they would have to replace all (8) fuel lines that attach to the fuel injectors. Typically when they remove the fuel lines they send them out to be bead blasted to get all the gunk off the sealing surfaces. Well whe they came back they said that they were too damaged to reuse. As my luck seems to continue, these are covered under my extended warranty. All-in-all the two warranties were charged just over $5,400.00 for the repairs. I have 97,000+ miles on my truck and my extended warranty ends early next month.

Mark

BruteForce

When I started the truck it ran real rough. Almost died but I kept on the accelerator to keep her running. I drove along the driveway and heard clanging and a real poor puttering. Sounded like a Dodge.

Ouch! Good luck with the truck..