Hitches

sniker

When buying a fifth wheel does the hitch come with the trailer or do you have to buy it separate? The reason I'm asking, every trailer that I have bought in the past always came with the hitch. This will be my first time buying a new fifth wheel and I'm wondering if I need to buy the hitch. We have decided on either the Bighorn 36RL or Landmark Grand canyon will decide in Feb. 2007.

tappet

In the three fifth wheels I have bought which have all been used, I have never received a hitch with them

jpmorgan37

Most dealers will gladly sell you and install your 5th wheel hitch. I don't know of any that come with the RV since so many purchasers already have a tow vehicle with a hitch installed. When negotiating price with your dealer, make sure to include the fifth wheel hitch. The other thing to consider is the pin box. Heartland offers the TrailAire pin box as an option, so this is another item to check out.
Good Luck,
John

phranc

Some dealers offer the hitch 'free' as an incentive to buy.. some buyers prefer to choose their own brand of hitch...

jgilbert

My first 5th wheel dealer "threw in" a Husky hitch on the deal. I didn't realize what a bummer that was until I traded trucks and went with a Reese Signature 18k. It is the difference in night and day.

Love my Reese.

Joe

ct0218

Joe,I purchased a Husky and it seems to be a good hitch. What is different about the Reese Signature?

jgilbert

The husky we had was not tight around the king pin. It clanked and creaked something awful. There was no way to make any adjustments to it.

Joe

ct0218

I haven't had that problem. Rough roads have made for some very uncomfortable trips, I've got to check out the way that John Morgan solved the problem.

jpmorgan37

Clark;
I had a Pull Rite Super 5th hitch in my GMC. When I bought the Ford, I put in a Reese 20K. With the MorRyde pin box, I haven't heard a clunk and chucking is almost non existant. I do feel a slight improvement with the Reese over the Super 5th. Both are good hitches. I just got a better price on the Reese and my truck already had the Reese rails installed so it was a no brainer for me.
John

ct0218

John,
I have the Trail-air, and I think it helps a lot. The Air bags you installed helped some for sure. Do you think the biggest improvement was the Mor/ryde pin box? I do know that the axle replacement last month stiffened up the trailer suspension some, and probably added to the problem. I have adjustable shocks set about mid-way, and should have set them to max with the load I had. Never crossed my mind at the time, but Gail was not happy with the ride on some of those concrete roads. You almost have to tow over the same road many times, trying different things, to see what works, and I seldom have that opportunity.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
I have the 18k Reese Signature Series and the Trailair pinbox, love the combination. Hitches are a matter of choice, there are a lot of good ones and cheap ones. Most dealers will not throw in the more popular or expensive hitches. I bought my hitch on the web and saved over $400 priced local , then made the best deal I could on the trailer and had them install the hitch with the deal. I bought the Reese with the 4 way pivot head per recommendations here and glad I listened. I also installed the slider for peace of mind and with the Trailair pinbox ,which I believe is longer than the standard one, I found the slide is not needed. Research what you want in a hitch, clean bed on removal, type of locking jaws, pivot etc. Good luck and happy camping!
Ken

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
williamsfamilytah said:
katkens
Where did you get your 18k Reese Signature Series? :)
I bought mine www.reese-hitches.com. I paid $124.95 for the rails,
$899.95 for the hitch with slide and $8.95 for the 12inch lube plate disk,$122.99 shipping for a grand total of $1156.84., no tax. Would be cheaper without slide, also etrailer was in the same price range couple dollars diff.

ke4d

hitches

All the hitches I threw in while selling RVs simply were covered by me not discounting the rig quite as much as I could. A hitch ususally comes right out of the sales guys commission. In order to make a sale, I'd throw in a thousand dollar hitch. It would cost me 200 bucks in commission, but any sale is better than no sale!