Towing a 3850 with Silverado 3500 CC dually with Duramax

I have an 02 silverado 3500 CC/LB Dually with the duramax/allison combo. I was wondering if I can tow the Cyclone 3850.

Here are the cyclone 3850 specs:

Dry Weight13969lbs (6336 kg)GVWR18000lbs (8165 kg)Cargo CapacityN/AHitch Weight2871lbs (1302 kg)

I believe the 5th wheel weight can be 16k-17k for my truck.

Theoretically I could tow the 3850 if I didnt add water, right? I know the 4031lbs left for cargo includes everything else, plus water, etc.

I'm just looking for some input/suggestions. I know I should probably go get like a 4500 or F450, but I just cant see myself getting rid of my truck.

Let me know what ya think.

Thanks in advance,
Bill

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Depends on what axle ratio you have 14,900- 15,500 max. Payload weight is 5,465 lbs, your fine on the pin weight.
Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment, and cargo so plan on being overloaded.
The New 2010 3500 CC DRW 4WD has a max towing of 15,900 according to Trailer Life Towing Guide

Last edited:

PUG

Pug
Bill;
I had an 02 Chev Shortbed 3/4 ton single rear tire duramax. I pulled a 3950 for two years and it did good but I was overloaded more than you by far even with oversized tires and air bags. I had the engine pumped by 100hp and it helped a bunch over the stock setup. If you pump an engine definitly put on a Pyrometer as I would have smoked the engine without it. The 3/4 ton did alright but your 1 ton will handle more weight yet.

I sold the Chevy and bought a 1 ton Ram with duallies and the Cummins with engine brake. The 1 ton does not squate as badly as my 3/4 ton did so I would think yours would be about the same. I had thought about air bags on this truck but I think it is okay without. This truck has 50 hp more than my pumped 02
Chevy did and it is noticeabe. (Stock Chevy about 225 pumped to 300, Cummins has 350) The extra power has been nice and the engine brake helps a bunch also. I put guages in this truck like I did the Chevy but where this one is not pumped I could have done without them. I am an old truck driver and diesels and turbos etc. are not anything new to me. The Ram Cummins engine is well enough internally protected that an idiot could drive it and it would be protected from burnup.

I had put a Hypertech programmer on my Chevy and as I experimented with and without be pumped, I can say I really think I would have smoked it without having a Pyro to monitor and keep the temps down.

I read a lot about the Chevy engine and Allison trans before pumping it up and the reason I didn't go over 100+hp was it appears that more than 100 you will start having trans problems. I monitored the trans temp also with and without pumping it and you get higher trans temps with it pulling harder.

Going from a single tire to a dually has made a world of difference in the handling of the trl. It is much more stable and my nerves are at rest knowing I have an extra tire in case of a blowout. You already have the duals and the 1 ton so you will be fine. If I can help you anymore please let me know.

Depends on what axle ratio you have 14,900- 15,500 max. Payload weight is 5,465 lbs, your fine on the pin weight.
Maximum payload capacity includes weight of driver, passengers, optional equipment, and cargo so plan on being overloaded.
The New 2010 3500 CC DRW 4WD has a max towing of 15,900 according to Trailer Life Towing Guide

I believe in the duallies you could only get the 3.73 axle ratio. I could be wrong, but I thought that is what I read awhile ago.

Bill;
I had an 02 Chev Shortbed 3/4 ton single rear tire duramax. I pulled a 3950 for two years and it did good but I was overloaded more than you by far even with oversized tires and air bags. I had the engine pumped by 100hp and it helped a bunch over the stock setup. If you pump an engine definitly put on a Pyrometer as I would have smoked the engine without it. The 3/4 ton did alright but your 1 ton will handle more weight yet.

I sold the Chevy and bought a 1 ton Ram with duallies and the Cummins with engine brake. The 1 ton does not squate as badly as my 3/4 ton did so I would think yours would be about the same. I had thought about air bags on this truck but I think it is okay without. This truck has 50 hp more than my pumped 02
Chevy did and it is noticeabe. (Stock Chevy about 225 pumped to 300, Cummins has 350) The extra power has been nice and the engine brake helps a bunch also. I put guages in this truck like I did the Chevy but where this one is not pumped I could have done without them. I am an old truck driver and diesels and turbos etc. are not anything new to me. The Ram Cummins engine is well enough internally protected that an idiot could drive it and it would be protected from burnup.

I had put a Hypertech programmer on my Chevy and as I experimented with and without be pumped, I can say I really think I would have smoked it without having a Pyro to monitor and keep the temps down.

I read a lot about the Chevy engine and Allison trans before pumping it up and the reason I didn't go over 100+hp was it appears that more than 100 you will start having trans problems. I monitored the trans temp also with and without pumping it and you get higher trans temps with it pulling harder.

Going from a single tire to a dually has made a world of difference in the handling of the trl. It is much more stable and my nerves are at rest knowing I have an extra tire in case of a blowout. You already have the duals and the 1 ton so you will be fine. If I can help you anymore please let me know.

PUG, thank you very much for taking the time to reply to my post. It sounds like the 3/4 ton truck did the job even if you were overweight. Unlike your expertise, I am relatively new to the diesel world. I bought my truck 3 years ago and have been reading up on duramax's for quite some time now. Overall I am pretty happy with my truck. The only troublesome problem is the injectors, which is well-known for these LB7 engines.

I completely agree with you on juicing up the truck. I have yet to buy the gauges and a programmer, but have been toying with the idea for quite some time now. The Allison transmissions are pretty reliable and usually dont have many problems, but like you said once you juice 100+ hp they tend to have problems.

I plan on installing a pyrometer and boost gauge when I purchase the programmer. I think I'm going to go with PPE's Xcelerator Standard. From reading diesel forums most of the duramax guys say they are one of the best to use. You had mentioned that you added 100hp with the Hypertech programmer, how noticeable was it? I mean I have read and read about these upgrades but have yet had a chance to experience the difference.

My biggest concern with my truck and hauling a 3850/3950 was just being overweight. I know that guys haul in excess of 20-25k with these trucks, but I just wanted to be sure that I would be okay with hauling that big toy hauler.

To be honest, my wife and I are dead set on the 3850 or 3950 compared to the other models. They offer the best floor plans and some of the nicest features. Do you have any complaints about your 3950? Are there any options you recommend that I get?

Also, do I need to worry about weigh stations??? I have always wondered if I ever have to stop at them.

Thanks again,
Bill

PUG

Pug
Bill;
The added 100hp was more than noticeable. Going from stock 225 to 300 was a substantial jump. I errored when I said I bumped 100 hp. I actually only went 75 to be on the conservative side. I did experiment bumping it up to 325 (max if I remember right) and it pulled better yet but I could see a bigger difference yet on the pyro and trans temp. Spooked me a bit. Empty with the max boost it would smoke the tires nicely off a dead start. Running around town etc. the max bump was fun but In my opinion to much pulling the trl. Here again I think it is essential to have a pyro and keeping the temp in my opinion around 1100 with a max for a short pull of 1250. I also had a boost gauge gives more information about how much it is working. Just more info. I purchased the kit from Dieselmanor.com with Isspro guages and the pillar mount. The boost is a snap but the Pyro is a bit difficult. The pyro sensor had to be mounted on the exhaust manifold by drilling and tapping it. If not comfortable doing this find someone that has experience.

As far as weigh stations, you do not have to stop at them. They are for commercial vehicles and commercial pullers. I have stopped and had them weigh my axles on a couple of occasions and they seem to be happy to do so, at least in Idaho anyway.

I know what you mean about the injectors on an 02s. I had 70k on mine but was afraid they would someday poop so I traded up to the 3500
Ram dually.