Health Insurance Options for Fulltimers

randes

Supplemental Medicare Health Insurance

My wife an I plan to retire early next year and need to find health insurance to supplement Medicare. We want to see the USA in a Bighorn full time, so the plan needs to work wherever we are. If any of you fulltimers can recommend the insurance companies you use, we would be very grateful. //heartlandowners.org/images/icons/icon7.gif

jpmorgan37

Hello Roy & Sarah:
We are fulltimers and looked at a lot of different options. We chose South Dakota as a home base and AARP as our supplimental insurance provider. So far, it has been no problem. Rates for SD were considerably lower than with some other states. Also, I split my coverage and my perscription drug plan is with Humana that I got through Good Sam. It also is very reasonable ($4.90 a month) in South Dakota. Another thing that I found is that rates vary considerably in different counties in the same state.
Hope this helps and congratulations on being a full timer,
John

randes

Thanks Jim,
I had already looked at their listing because I have been following them for about a year now. However, their main suggestion is to go to eHealthInsurance and get direct quotes. Only one problem - they will not quote over age 65. So if you are less than 65, I think it may be the best place to start.

randes

Hi John & Sue,
Thanks for your suggestions. I had not even thought of AARP. I had heard of Humana for Rx, but have not contacted them yet. Thanks also for your comments on SD as a home base. We plan to keep our home for at least a year until we are sure we are OK with the FT traveling. My wife and I both love to travel, so I don't expect there will be any problems.

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Senior health insurance is complicated

I have been in the insurance business for a number of years and I have been recently selling in the senior market which is folks over 65. I am retired now and my license will expire in about a month. I want to direct these comments primarily to RVers that are over 65 and in particular to full timers, since I am part of this group.

All senior insurance plans are closely regulated by the government. The agency that does this is usually known by its initials "CMS." The basic plan is simply medicare part A and B which you must have or you must sign up for when you approach 65. This is not optional, you must have signed up for medicare, both part A and B. You have already paid for part A through payroll deductions during your working life. Part B seems to be going up in price and will be about $94 a month, usually taken out of your Social Security check each month.

As we all know, simply part A and B is not enough coverage. One way to supplement your coverage is what is commonly called "Medgap coverage". These are standardized plans that do a good job of filling in the gaps left by Medicare part A and B and usually cost around $150 a month, more or less depending on the area. If this is what you have now, you are paying around $3000 a year ($250 plus that $94 times 12 months) for your health insurance. You probably have little or no copays or deductibles which doesn’t matter much since if you are healthy enough to drive that big rig around, you probably aren’t spending much time in a doctors office.

This particular system has not been working well for the government or the folks paying the premiums, who have been complaining to their elected representatives. As a result, the government put together a plan to turn medicare over to the private sector. They call this "Medicare Advantage". The government agency that regulates and approves everything associated with this plan is usually called CMS. For the Medicare Advantage plans, CMS pays the private insurance companies, which they approve, about $600 a month per person that signs up with them and provides guidelines, approves their policy and in general regulates everything. The insurance companies that get approved and provide these Medicare Advantage policys will provide everything that Medicare part A and B provide plus a whole lot more, so that you don’t need any other policy.

Now remember that the insurance companies are all competing with each other to get that $600 check from CMS when you sign up for their plan. All of these insurance companies have to be approved by CMS and they also have to be approved by each State that they choose to do business in. It costs the insurance companies money to get approved in each State and some are harder to get approved in then others. Because South Dakota has very few seniors to market to and a difficult State Insurance Department, the last time I looked, they didn’t have a single Medicare Advantage plan that was offered in the State. Here in Texas as in most other States, the premium for these plans will vary from county to county depending on what the insurance company expects for their costs and marketing success. Here in San Antonio (Bexar County) Texas, the premium for Secure Horizons is zero. In other counties, mostly low population density counties, the premium can climb up to $100 or even $150 per month for those plans that the insurance company agrees to sell there.

For full time RVers, there are other problems to watch out for. Most of the Medicare Advantage plans (not all) will have a network of doctors (HMO, PPO etc) which makes it difficult to use their plan away from your permanent residence, which most of us are away from most of the time. What is needed is a plan with no network called "Fee for Service". Also CMS (government) will check your permanent residence when you sign up for a policy. This means you can not camp in San Antonio with a drivers license that says South Dakota and sign up for a Medicare Advantage plan. You will have to move your permanent residence to an area that offers a good plan.

As a full time RVer, the plan that I like the best will be approved starting in 2007 for only a few States. Texas will be one of the States. Here in Bexar County (San Antonio), the premium will be zero, they will pay my part B for me, another $94 and I will only have to pay the part D or prescription benefit which will be about $10. The plan is a "fee for service" so it will be easy to use anywhere in the US. At this time I don’t know about Canada or Mexico. I plan on using the South Dakota mail drop, which I know is popular with a lot of full timers, but when I sell my house, my permanent residence will only move to my step sons home here in San Antonio.

The name of this insurance company is "Universal Health Insurance Co Inc.," and they are headquartered in Florida. I am sure there will be more companies like this one that will be competing for our business, so I would recommend that you stay on top of this. For our friends in South Dakota, $3000 a year for health insurance is pretty expensive and for me would not make up the difference in lower tax costs.

I would suggest that you look for an insurance agent in a major city that sells Senior Health Insurance, a city where you have or would be willing to have a permanent residence, and ask him to tell you about the Medicare Advantage plans that he carries that are "fee for service" and have little or no premium in an area where you can get a permanent residence.

jpmorgan37

Bob;
I found your post very enlightning. My first question is: What about Bell County (Temple) since we spend a fair amount of time here?
Secondly, I did a web search and didn't come up with the company, Universal Health Insurance Co. Do you have an address and phone number for them?
Thanks,
John

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Use a good agent

None
jpmorgan37 said:
Bob;
I found your post very enlightning. My first question is: What about Bell County (Temple) since we spend a fair amount of time here?
Secondly, I did a web search and didn't come up with the company, Universal Health Insurance Co. Do you have an address and phone number for them?
Thanks,
John

John,
The link to their web site is; http://www.univhc.com/plans/masterpiece/Plans.asp
HOWEVER, I strongly suggest that you do not deal directly with the company, but find a good agent. Since the Texas Insurance Dept has not approved them yet, although I am sure they will, a lot of information is not available. In late October and November the brokers will start having classes for the agents that want to sell this product. It may not even be available in Temple since that area is low population density, high military and I think it has a lower density of seniors, but I don’t know for sure. A good agent in your area should know about all the options and be able to provide the guidance that we all need as RVers that travel a lot.

jpmorgan37

Thanks Bob, I really appreciate the info and this is something all of us, as mature nomads, need to be made aware of. I had no idea that something like this was in the works. I was pleased with my AARP premium of $142 a month, but this sure sounds like something I need to really investigate. I wonder what the tab would be for Escapees in Livingston? That must be a high population "address" with all the full timers that are registered there.
John

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
jpmorgan37 said:
Thanks Bob, I really appreciate the info and this is something all of us, as mature nomads, need to be made aware of. I had no idea that something like this was in the works. I was pleased with my AARP premium of $142 a month, but this sure sounds like something I need to really investigate. I wonder what the tab would be for Escapees in Livingston? That must be a high population "address" with all the full timers that are registered there.
John

I don't think these mail drop locations will work since the CMS (government) wants to see a physical address. They don't allow P.O. Box addresses. If you give your box number like it is an apartment number, you may be able to slide it by them, but I would recommend using a siblings address in San Antonio, Houston or the Dallas/Fort Worth complex. I will be using some of my contacts to find some good agents in Texas and I will let you know what I find.

jpmorgan37

I have a son in Brevard county Florida. He may not know it but his dad may become a resident in his house. We do have a physical address in SD as most of the Escapee's have in Livingston. We have a PMB which can also be listed just as #, so it might work too. We'll see when they get all of the logistics worked out. Better to have the 3k in my pocket than in theirs.
Thanks,
John

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
Florida looks good

:D
jpmorgan37 said:
I have a son in Brevard county Florida. He may not know it but his dad may become a resident in his house. We do have a physical address in SD as most of the Escapee's have in Livingston. We have a PMB which can also be listed just as #, so it might work too. We'll see when they get all of the logistics worked out. Better to have the 3k in my pocket than in theirs.
Thanks,
John

Brevard County looks good. Go to the web site and put in Brevard County and look at the plan at the top of the list. It looks like they will pay the part B with some conditions in Brevard County.

randes

I want to thank each of you who have contributed to this thread. Sometimes I get a little concerned over all the “negative’ things I read about the Bighorns, but it’s this Owners Forum that reassures me that with a support group like this one, there’s nothing we can’t solve together. Before I settled on the Bighorn, I joined several other Owner’s Forums to see what was going on. One Forum only had about 1-2 posts in a month. Others had more, but none that I read even began to compare with the Heartland Owner’s Forum. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME ! ! ! And kudo’s to you also Jim. You are a good moderator!!

As a result of your posts, I am now beginning to think that perhaps I should be thinking of changing my domicile to a more “Friendly” state before I Order my 5W and buy a new TV or get my health insurance established, etc. We don’t plan to sell our house until we are sure we want to stay on the road. But we won’t be living here anyway and we could always rent it out until we make our decision. As you said Bob, it is a very complicated matter.

Any more thoughts from any of you who have already gone thru this process will be certainly appreciated. I’m glad I started about 3 months early to get my ducks lined up. Hope it’s enough time.

randes

jpmorgan37 said:
Hello Roy & Sarah:
We are fulltimers and looked at a lot of different options. We chose South Dakota as a home base and AARP as our supplimental insurance provider. So far, it has been no problem. Rates for SD were considerably lower than with some other states. Also, I split my coverage and my perscription drug plan is with Humana that I got through Good Sam. It also is very reasonable ($4.90 a month) in South Dakota. Another thing that I found is that rates vary considerably in different counties in the same state.
Hope this helps and congratulations on being a full timer,
John

Hi John & Sue,
I was looking back over the posts and decided to comment on your post again. It's been about 3 weeks since I started this thread and I have learned a lot. You are right about SD as a home base. TV & RV tags are unbelivably inexpensive compared to Colorado. I checked into AARP and found their Plan J for Rapid city was $131.80/mo. But upon further checking I found out that was not their base rate but contained a 20% discount for the first year. The 2nd year you get a 15% discount and so on until after 5 years you reach their "base rate" which would be $164.75. (Assuming their were no increases for increasing costs.) I checked with Banker Life for Rapid City and found their price to be $132.00/mo. The BL man said AARP sometimes changes Ins Providers every time their contract comes up for renewal. At this point I think I will go with Bankers Life. I also checked the cost of Plan J with AARP for Livingston, TX and it was $176/mo. SD is better!!

I don't know who you use for a Mail Forwarding Service, but I found two for Rapid City. The one that seems the best and lowest price was Americas-Mailbox. You can check them out at http://www.americas-mailbox.com

Humana's Rx plan was $4.91/mo for Rapid City and you can buy from them directly.

I saw a link for AmeriPlan Discount Dental, Vision, Perscriptions & Chiropractic care. When I clicked on it I reached a sales site that gave pricing and an explanation of how the plan worked. The cost was only $20/mo for a family. However, I either have misplaced the link or deleted it by accident. In any case do you have any info on that company. Sounded very interesting! For Rx's they work with WalMart, Walgreens, Target and many more. You can go to their main web site at http://www.ameriplan.com but there is no pricing given.

Yesterday I saw a 2007 Bighorn 3055 on an RV lot. Boy the changes are getting better and better. The basement now looks like the basement on the 3400 to me. Looks to be about a third larger than the old 3055 basement.

We can hardly wait until we retire and get our 5W.

Thanks again for every ones input.

Roy

randes

bsnider said:
I don't think these mail drop locations will work since the CMS (government) wants to see a physical address. They don't allow P.O. Box addresses. If you give your box number like it is an apartment number, you may be able to slide it by them, but I would recommend using a siblings address in San Antonio, Houston or the Dallas/Fort Worth complex. I will be using some of my contacts to find some good agents in Texas and I will let you know what I find.

Hi Bob,
If you refer to my post just ahead of this one, you will see a link to Americas-Mailbox. When I called to get more information, I got to talk with the owner, Don, and I asked him specifically about CMS statements coming to his service. He said he had a lot of FT RV'ers and they had no problem get mailing from CMS about Medicare. They also have an office in Florida as well as Rapid City, SD.

Roy

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
randes said:
Hi Bob,
If you refer to my post just ahead of this one, you will see a link to Americas-Mailbox. When I called to get more information, I got to talk with the owner, Don, and I asked him specifically about CMS statements coming to his service. He said he had a lot of FT RV'ers and they had no problem get mailing from CMS about Medicare. They also have an office in Florida as well as Rapid City, SD.

Roy

:) First let me comment on the mail drop question. There is a difference between where you can have your mail sent and where you live. A lot of people live one place and have a PO Box or have their mail sent somewhere else. Most forms for the government that you would fill out have a place for residence and mail.

CMS (Government) has a requirement for Medicare Advantage programs (the free ones) that you have lived there for 6 months prior to signing up for the insurance. I don’t expect a permanent residence to work for the government when it is a mail drop. They will however send your mail anywhere you want.

We are not ready yet to complete our move to full time status, hopefully soon, but when we do we will show my step son’s home in San Antonio Texas as our permanent residence, and use the S Dakota mail drop for our mail. Of course we will be signing up for the Universal plan Medicare Advantage on Nov 15 which is the earliest that you can sign up for the program which will begin on January 1st 2007.

You could try the Florida address for Americas-Mailbox and see if they accept it, but just in case, I would recommend that you have a plan B.

Bob

bsnider

BS & Ruth Ann
randes said:
Hi John & Sue,
I was looking back over the posts and decided to comment on your post again. It's been about 3 weeks since I started this thread and I have learned a lot. You are right about SD as a home base. TV & RV tags are unbelivably inexpensive compared to Colorado. I checked into AARP and found their Plan J for Rapid city was $131.80/mo. But upon further checking I found out that was not their base rate but contained a 20% discount for the first year. The 2nd year you get a 15% discount and so on until after 5 years you reach their "base rate" which would be $164.75. (Assuming their were no increases for increasing costs.) I checked with Banker Life for Rapid City and found their price to be $132.00/mo. The BL man said AARP sometimes changes Ins Providers every time their contract comes up for renewal. At this point I think I will go with Bankers Life. I also checked the cost of Plan J with AARP for Livingston, TX and it was $176/mo. SD is better!!

I don't know who you use for a Mail Forwarding Service, but I found two for Rapid City. The one that seems the best and lowest price was Americas-Mailbox. You can check them out at http://www.americas-mailbox.com

Humana's Rx plan was $4.91/mo for Rapid City and you can buy from them directly.

I saw a link for AmeriPlan Discount Dental, Vision, Perscriptions & Chiropractic care. When I clicked on it I reached a sales site that gave pricing and an explanation of how the plan worked. The cost was only $20/mo for a family. However, I either have misplaced the link or deleted it by accident. In any case do you have any info on that company. Sounded very interesting! For Rx's they work with WalMart, Walgreens, Target and many more. You can go to their main web site at http://www.ameriplan.com but there is no pricing given.

Yesterday I saw a 2007 Bighorn 3055 on an RV lot. Boy the changes are getting better and better. The basement now looks like the basement on the 3400 to me. Looks to be about a third larger than the old 3055 basement.

We can hardly wait until we retire and get our 5W.

Thanks again for every ones input.

Roy

:mad: Let me comment on Ameriplan and the many other discount plans out there. First you need to understand that it is only a discount and not insurance. What happens is that the $20 you pay each month goes to the sales organization, salesman or Ameriplan only and none of it goes to the dentist or other provider. When you go to the dentist or other provider, they have agreed to discount their service for Ameriplan card holders in exchange for the new customers that Ameriplan provides. Basicly this is a form of advertising. The salesman that call on the dentists etc to sign them up for the program will show them how to cut their costs to make up for the discount. Some dentist will use cheaper and poorer products while others (a friend of mine) end up filing bankrupcy because the discounts became too big a problem for them to deal with. My teeth and mouth are too important to me to allow a discount dentist to work on them anymore. I just recently had to have some work done over because I had used one of those discount services in the past.

Also for vision, shop around and you will find shops that will offer their full retail price at the same amount as the discount.

Bob