Replace tires??? currently G, what brand??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aatauses

Hi everyone,
We have a BH 3670 (2010) and have about 12M miles on the original tires which are Freestone? 235.16R--G load range. They are wearing good with no signs of any "bubbles". I have heard several say they were happy with Michelins, but they only make a trailer tire up to load range E. I think?? this is the case with Goodyear also. What type of tire are you using to get the load range of G??
thanks,
al

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
aatauses, I as well as others have replaced our OEM tires with Goodyear G-614 tires. They are pricey, and they are G rated.

Peace
Dave

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Ditto for the Goodyear G614. Only available in LR G. They will fit your rig just fine. We paid $250 each for ours but that was a couple years ago. Not sure what the going best price is but shop around. Goodyear tire centers had the better price for our experience.

Last edited:

jpajax

Talk to tire wholesaler yesterday tires will be going up in price in two weeks to a tune of 15%.

TireHobby

Hi everyone,
We have a BH 3670 (2010) and have about 12M miles on the original tires which are Freestone? 235.16R--G load range. They are wearing good with no signs of any "bubbles". I have heard several say they were happy with Michelins, but they only make a trailer tire up to load range E. I think?? this is the case with Goodyear also. What type of tire are you using to get the load range of G??
thanks,
al

I think your trailer tires are Freestars. They are probably manufactured by the same company that manufactures (ed) Mission tires. If so they may have a very short warranty (2 years).

The American made Goodyear G614 trailer tire is one of the very few 16” tires made with a LRG rating. On a trailer with your GVWR potential it’s very marginal, at best. On paper your trailer has a high empty weight and low cargo capacity limit. All indicators of a rig that is (may be) heavy on its axles. It would be my recommendation to replace your current tires before they reach 20,000 miles or when they become two years old (which ever comes sooner).

My rule of thumb is to use replacement tires with a load carrying capacity 20% above your average GAW or in your case 13,500#. That means upgrading to the 17.5” wheel and tire combination with LRH tires. There are loads of them to chose from. Here is an example of what to look for….

http://www.kellytires.com/cfmx/web/kellytruck/line.cfm?prodline=160544

TireHobby

Last edited:

Wharton

We have used the Goodyear G614s on previous trailers that weighed 15000-16000 lbs. loaded and never had a problem. We switched to them many years ago and have been very happy. We tend to stick with Goodyear as there are dealers across the country if you need them. We keep them on the rig for about 6 years and then buy new ones so we don't have any problems with dry rot. We have had previous rigs where a tire blew out(not 614s) and did $2000 worth of damage. We now are very careful about tires.

We would also recommend a TPMS system for peace of mind. We really like ours as we check the tire pressure every day before we start out. No more gauges in bitter cold weather during the winter.

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
I think your trailer tires are Freestars. They are probably manufactured by the same company that manufactures (ed) Mission tires. If so they may have a very short warranty (2 years).

The American made Goodyear G614 trailer tire is one of the very few 16” tires made with a LRG rating. On a trailer with your GVWR potential it’s very marginal, at best. On paper your trailer has a high empty weight and low cargo capacity limit. All indicators of a rig that is (may be) heavy on its axles. It would be my recommendation to replace your current tires before they reach 20,000 miles or when they become two years old (which ever comes sooner).

My rule of thumb is to use replacement tires with a load carrying capacity 20% above your average GVW or in your case 13,500#. That means upgrading to the 17.5” wheel and tire combination with LRH tires. There are loads of them to chose from. Here is an example of what to look for….

TireHobby

Not sure why you think the G614 is marginal on the 3670 BH??? The GVWR is 16,000lbs with total axles weight rating of 14,000lbs (2 7K axles)...
The G614s, at max air 110psi, can carry 3,750 or a total of 15,000lbs. We are fulltiming in a 3600RL and we've weighed our rig and the axles several times and the most we've ever had on the axles (4 tires) was 12,890 lbs...that puts us well under the axle rating (by 1,110lbs) AND the G614s (by 2,110lbs) capabilities...What these units have is heavy pin weights NOT heavy axles weights. The tires on the TV would be of more concern to us.

In our opinion, the G614 is MORE than capable of handling these units...ours have for more than 3 years and 50,000 miles...

lwmcguir

My rule of thumb is to use replacement tires with a load carrying capacity 20% above your average GVW or in your case 13,500#. That means upgrading to the 17.5” wheel and tire combination with LRH tires. There are loads of them to chose from. Here is an example of what to look for….

TireHobby

G614 are more than adequate. You would have to change out the entire suspension system to get any benefit from the 17.5 series.

TireHobby

A visit to the NuWa owners forum and a search of the G614 tire will reveal the problems they are presenting to the 7000# axle users. Mike Mitchell is the CEO of NuWa and is active in their forum. He supports the upgrade to 17.5" wheel/tire assemblies.

TireHobby

Having owned several 5th wheels with the G614's as standard equipment I have never had a issue with the G614's. At one time we bought a BH and in the deal was a upgrade to the G614's however when we went to pick it up and the price difference wasn't that much we decided on the Landmark. The Landmark came with G614's and being the Landmark is heavier than the BH I think G614's will be a great upgrade for the 3670. We now have G114's 17.5's which come standard, so for they are doing great. I really believe that all 34' 5th wheels at the very least should have the G614's. Just about every week if you follow the Big Board (RV.net) you will read of more tire failures, which in most cases are China made tires. Don't understand why some manufactors are still using China made tires. Its a known fact they are a major tire failure waiting to happen. It not a cases of will it but when they will explode. Good Luck... GBY....

P.S. I always run the tire pressure thats stamped on the side wall. Some disagree but heat is the major problem on most major tire failures and low tire pressure causes heat build up. This is my experience thru trail and error.

A visit to the NuWa owners forum and a search of the G614 tire will reveal the problems they are presenting to the 7000# axle users. Mike Mitchell is the CEO of NuWa and is active in their forum. He supports the upgrade to 17.5" wheel/tire assemblies.

TireHobby

Mike Mitchell is not someone that participants of this forum are, what can I say "thrilled" with...as he was quite insulting to Heartland and owners of their product in the past...don't think his opinion is one that is of much value here...JMHO!

Not to mention, just because they are having problems with G614s on NUWA products does not mean Heartland products are having the same issue...which we are not!!

kakampers

Here is another of my research sites. The reference below contains a long running thread on the Escapees forum.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=54228&hl=Warning+Goodyear

TireHobby

If you really paid any attention to your research, you'd realize that 99% of the problems listed, even on the above mention thread, were on tires produced between 04' and 06'. Goodyear acknowledged an issue during manufacture in that time period.

I'd venture to say that most of us, if not ALL have tires produced AFTER Good year addressed the issue and corrected the problem....as I said we are not having these issues...our G614s are performing as they are intended on our 7000K axles.

katkens

Founding Illinios Chapter Leader-retired
Here is another of my research sites. The reference below contains a long running thread on the Escapees forum.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/index.php?showtopic=54228&hl=Warning+Goodyear

TireHobby

I'm not sure I agree with all your so called extensive research on tires. The forums suggested for our reading pleasure on the Goodyear G614's does have some flaws. I would agree in the beginning these tires had a lot of problems and even Goodyear knew that per my reading. If one looks at the posts you suggest the dates of these posts are from 2005 to 2007 and tires purchased years before posting. I read very few problems with the newer made G614's , guess this is what I found out in my so called research / opinion .....Kenny

TireHobby

Sorry I opened this can of worms. Loyalty is surely present here. But the fact remains the G614 - trailer designed - Goodyear tire is still failing on the 7000# axles. Just run a quick search right here on this forum and you will quickly discover three recent failures. It’s nice to be aware of if you're riding on that tire and your load is heavy (13,500# GAW). The popular upgrade is 17.5” wheels and tires.

TireHobby

Delaine and Lindy

You didn't open a can of worms, and I'm sure some comments are based on loyalty. However my comments is based on reliability and no issues I had two of my other 5th wheels had 7,000 lb axles and G614's and the weight of the 5th wheels were over 17,000 lbs. Never a issue and when I sold one of them I was ask were they new tires and they had 22,000 + miles on them. I really believe that tire pressure is the key for the Goodyears tires or for that matter all tires. I'm now running Goodyear G114's 17.5's and 8,000 lb axles and so for they are doing great. Just pulled 300 miles today accross KS and the tires were just warm to the touch. I always run the side wall listed pressure which are 125 lbs. Good Luck on your decision. I wouldn't run a China made tire on any 5th wheel. GBY...

TireHobby

What makes the Goodyear G614 in the 17.5 rim better than the G614 17" rim?

I may have misled you with that statement. The G614 tire is only made in size LT235/85R16 LRG. One of the popular GY 17.5" tires is the G114.

TireHobby.

Northern Virginia
I may have misled you with that statement. The G614 tire is only made in size LT235/85R16 LRG. One of the popular GY 17.5" tires is the G114.

TireHobby.

ok, got it. I still don't see how four G614 tires rated at a combined 15,000 lbs could be underrated for a BH. Don't forget the weight on the pin (2200?) That seems to exceed the GVW by several pounds.

kakampers

Sorry I opened this can of worms. Loyalty is surely present here. But the fact remains the G614 - trailer designed - Goodyear tire is still failing on the 7000# axles. Just run a quick search right here on this forum and you will quickly discover three recent failures. It’s nice to be aware of if you're riding on that tire and your load is heavy (13,500# GAW). The popular upgrade is 17.5” wheels and tires.

TireHobby

OK...let me try this again! I did a search and only found one reference to a problem with G614's since 2008...tread came off, but tire stayed inflated. Owner is pretty sure they got re-treads instead of new tires...

After 3 years and 50,000 miles with no problems, researching this and other forums extensively, and talking with other owners of G614's, we're not seeing these issues you are referring to in tires that have been produced in the last several years, whether on 7000# axles or not...if you have found instances of issues, provide us these links so we can understand where your "facts" are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.