Pex Tools & Connectors...

TXBobcat

Fulltime
A few weeks ago I purchased a PEX Tool. When I bought it I did it out of a need in the future. Seeing how I did not need it immediately I stored it in the basement. Well today I needed to connect two lengths of PEX Tubing. I had some 1/2" crimp connectors and a PEX Tool. Only problem was they weren't compatable. The PEX Tool I have uses rings and another uses compression.

Here are some photos of the types I found at Lowes.

Copper Ring.jpg Compression Ring.jpg

Compression Ring and Crimp Ring

PEX Tool compression.jpgPEX Tool Crimping.jpg PEX Pocket Crimper.jpg

Compression Tool and Crimping Tool and Pocket Crimping Tool

The compression tool is nice but it is heavy and hard to use in tight spaces. That is the one I got but if I had realized what was available I would probably bought the Crimping Tool. The Crimping Tool is the type that is mainly used in our coaches.

Here is a video about the tools and connectors. UTube Video

I looked up PEX on the WiKi and it just gave the definition of what a PEX Tubing was.

Maybe the WiKi Editors can take some of this and put it in the WiKi for future use.

BC

beardedone

Beardedone
After reading some other threads on replacing the plumbing I bought one of the crimp ring tools. It works fine and actually in the restricted space of the trailer basement it is probably the best choice. I would love to have a regular crimper and use rings, but that tool cost 5 times what the crimp ring tool does.

2010augusta

Here are a few pictures of my Apollo cinch tool. I got it at Lowe's

DSCN6540..JPGDSCN6539..JPGDSCN6542..JPG

Home depot carries Zurn brand clamps, and Zurn and Apollo tools and clamps are NOT interchangeable.

To remove the cinch ring I use a set of concrete "nippers"

here is a video if the basic process.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Doesn't really matter which one you use in most cases. Either will do the job if done correctly. With the compression style rings, if you want to reuse the fitting, there is an inexpensive tool to remove both the ring and the PEX remnant easily. With the clamp rings, it's not as easy to get the thing off the fitting. Caveat to the removal tool, however, is that it will not work with the plastic fittings in our plumbing. The orifice is too small. Works with brass ones, though.

Better safe than sorry, I now have a separate tool box just for plumbing repairs. Extra fittings, cinch and clamp rings, and the tools to do either, along with some other common plumbing tools. Even have a four foot length of 1/2" PEX left over from my small repair. Overkill, maybe, but who knows, I might run into another less prepared camper with a leak.

Bobby A

I just got sticker shock at Lowes and H/D, looking for a sorta starter kit with crimper and 1/2 inch rings, anyone find anything decent on line for a decent price ??? Thanks

2010augusta

You looking for Brass compression ring kit or Stainless Steel Crimp ring kit? My Apollo Crimp ring tool was only $35 at Lowes. The compression tools are 2-4 times more expensive.

JohnDar

You must go to Lowe's if you want the crimp rings and tools. Home Depot only had the compression ring type materials when I needed to fix a leak. Both carry the brass PEX fittings, however. I've also been told that if you're careful and have a strong grip, you can use the tile nippers to crimp the rings down. Perhaps, but I'm a tool junkie, so the right tool for the job is the way I went.

beardedone

Beardedone
I bought a kit from Home Depot for $45.00 (ca) which came with a tool and variety of crimp rings. It works fairly well and I replumbed the birds nest mess behind the UDC using two copper manifolds. The only leak I had was the old plumbing at the water pump and I found out that the labourer who did it originally needed to eat more Cheerios. I was able to tighten four crimp rings that had been installed at the factory on the pump. No more leaks now!:)

Bobby A

I bought a kit from Home Depot for $45.00 (ca) which came with a tool and variety of crimp rings. It works fairly well and I replumbed the birds nest mess behind the UDC using two copper manifolds. The only leak I had was the old plumbing at the water pump and I found out that the labourer who did it originally needed to eat more Cheerios. I was able to tighten four crimp rings that had been installed at the factory on the pump. No more leaks now!:)

Gerry,

Is the one your refering to the Surlok Starter Set with Rings ?? I did see it on line and called to order it but apparently you have to live in Canada, they would not ship it to me and no stores in the US carry it anymore, thats what I was told. I would really like to get that set if I could.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Gerry,

Is the one your refering to the Surlok Starter Set with Rings ?? I did see it on line and called to order it but apparently you have to live in Canada, they would not ship it to me and no stores in the US carry it anymore, thats what I was told. I would really like to get that set if I could.

Hey, Bobby. If you swing by my campground this summer, I'll "pex" you up.

SilverRhino

I have both the "compression" and "crimp" type tools for PEX fittings. Whenever possible, I use the compression fittings, no scientific data, I just always feel more secure when using them. I'm not sure if local plumbing codes look at both types as being equal in stick & brick construction. Both of my kits were purchased on eBay a few years ago & were much cheaper than the Big Box stores for the same tools.

If you have a hard time finding a specific fitting, pexsupply.com has a good selection of fittings and manifolds. My local Home Depots carry very limited PEX products and Lowe's is only a little bit better. Usually I end up at a local plumbing supply house to get my fittings.

Yesterday I had to replace some fittings and connection in one of our bathrooms at the house. Do to the set up, I had to use copper and sweat fit it.....not really all that difficult, but.....sure like the PEX better!

Travel Safe!

beardedone

Beardedone
Hi there
That is the set I bought. It has done a very good job. I am going to keep it in the trailer in case I need it for some of the unmodified work or if a fellow camper ever has a problem.

Pulltab

Pex is the greatest stuff since buttons on a shirt! I recently replumbed a complete house using the compression rings in 3/4 and 1/2". Not a single leak and made over 150 seals. Doesn't hurt that it works great for the RV too! :)

Bobby A

Hi there
That is the set I bought. It has done a very good job. I am going to keep it in the trailer in case I need it for some of the unmodified work or if a fellow camper ever has a problem.

O.k. thanks, I just talked to a friend that lives in Canada, he is gonna order it for me. I can't believe Home Depot doesn't sell this kit in the states.

beardedone

Beardedone
Hi again Bobby
Just make sure you have access to the crimp rings where you live. By the way another Canadian source, Princess Auto, has the compression type on sale for $74.00 (ca. $)