I purchased a vertical smoker

landp

When I owned my home we had a big pit smoker. It was way to big for the 5th wheel and I was starting to miss the taste of good smoke ribs. So I went out and purchased a masterbuilt vertical smoker, the square one.

Well so far I have smoked some of the best meat I have ever tasted. But the one that really knocked my socks off was smoke steaks.

I was going to grill them but we forgot to set them out to defrost. My wife asked if I could just put them in the smoker for a hour or so. Well I said it couldnt hurt and fired it up. I put in a chuck of pecan wood and left them there for about an hour then finished them off on the grill. These werent just good, they were the best steaks I have ever tasted.

So tonight I am going to use hickory on the steak and see how it works out

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I was watcing a show on the Food Channel and they were highlighting BBQ. Next time we go through TX, I will be looking for the Salt Lick. I believe it's near Austin. Interesting you mentioned Pecan wood. The Salt Lick uses wet pecan shells to keep the fire from getting too hot. They use a heavy Oak for the fire though. Something else I've heard but haven't tried yet, Deep Fried Steak. I sure miss BBQ places is TX though...

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
When I owned my home we had a big pit smoker. It was way to big for the 5th wheel and I was starting to miss the taste of good smoke ribs. So I went out and purchased a masterbuilt vertical smoker, the square one.

Well so far I have smoked some of the best meat I have ever tasted. But the one that really knocked my socks off was smoke steaks.

I was going to grill them but we forgot to set them out to defrost. My wife asked if I could just put them in the smoker for a hour or so. Well I said it couldnt hurt and fired it up. I put in a chuck of pecan wood and left them there for about an hour then finished them off on the grill. These werent just good, they were the best steaks I have ever tasted.

So tonight I am going to use hickory on the steak and see how it works out

Pictures please! I tried that and the steak tasted like tender pork/ham. Prime rib came out great!

cgunn

Bought some steaks at a meat market a while back.
The guy behind the counter said try grillin 'em while FROZEN!!!
I thought he had drank too much Quervo until I tried it...It works just FINE!!!
No more "I forgot to take the steaks out of the freezer" excuse anymore.
Try it...It works great!!!

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I always take mine out of the freezer and straight to the grill. Works with chicken too. Even sausage.

Rockerga

Full-time WANNABE
My son turned me on to "smoking" and now that is the camping thing to do when we get together. We just have a plain ole horizontal charcoal smoker. (Read: Inexpensive) However we do use the LUMP charcoal which with a smoker we found is the only way to go and it does last. Our new "only way to go" is using only cherry wood to flavor. Cook it all real slow (180 degrees approx) and mist occasionally with apple juice. (Whatever the meat!!!) The frozen meat is not a problem as you are cooking slow from a low temperature, it just adds a little more time, so more smoke flavor!!!!!

The taste is nothing less than AMAZING AND MOIST!

I am a good cook and baker that now has expanded my horizon's: next is the green egg! My son cooks all his meal at home in advance on either the green egg or his home smoker.

If any fellow "smokers" are passing through north Georgia area stop by Trackrock, I have a lifetime supply of Cherry so I could give some to my fellow Heartlanders if interested. If you like or want hickory I'll give you all I have....

RollingHome

Because of your post, I just purchased a bag of cherry wood chips... sure hope you're right dude. Sounds like ya have more experience then me (a baker too... humm) so here goes nothing :) I'm going to use the chips in an ORION cooker so, we'll see what happens. Tom

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
My son turned me on to "smoking" and now that is the camping thing to do when we get together. We just have a plain ole horizontal charcoal smoker. (Read: Inexpensive) However we do use the LUMP charcoal which with a smoker we found is the only way to go and it does last. Our new "only way to go" is using only cherry wood to flavor. Cook it all real slow (180 degrees approx) and mist occasionally with apple juice. (Whatever the meat!!!) The frozen meat is not a problem as you are cooking slow from a low temperature, it just adds a little more time, so more smoke flavor!!!!!

The taste is nothing less than AMAZING AND MOIST!

I am a good cook and baker that now has expanded my horizon's: next is the green egg! My son cooks all his meal at home in advance on either the green egg or his home smoker.

If any fellow "smokers" are passing through north Georgia area stop by Trackrock, I have a lifetime supply of Cherry so I could give some to my fellow Heartlanders if interested. If you like or want hickory I'll give you all I have....

The "Egg" is the only way to go! It does the best prime rib we've ever had. The chicken breasts and pork chops are super moist. Too bad the smallest of the Green Eggs is still too heavy to be practical for us to carry and won't do more than a couple of chicken breasts at a time according to the dimensions given online.
Kristy

Tom; I am sure no one would ever be dis-satisfied with cherry-smoked meat....Unless you don't like CHERRIES! LOL! If you like the cherry a lot, if you ever get down south come on by Trackrock and I'll give you a bunch as I am sure it cannot be an inexpensive wood to buy. I was fortunate to have had a few people staying here until their homes were built (Locally) and the lots had tons of cherry trees so I volunteered to take them down myself for the wood. I have about two cords of cherry seasoning currently, so I am not kidding regarding giving my fellow RVer's some. We add it to the Green Egg also on occasion depending upon the meat.

Last edited by a moderator:

boatdoc

We've got the electric Meco and it's worked great for us for years but we've only done poultry in it and we're ready to do some ribs, beef and pork. Can you point us in the right direction? Almost bought some beef ribs yesterday but waited till I heard from "seasoned" vets on the selection and rubs. Thanks

So tonight I am going to use hickory on the steak and see how it works out Best Vertical Smokers
I recently got two vertical smokers off of Craig's list. I have put about $30 total into them and would like to know if it is possible to smoke food with good results using two of the charcoal smokers stacked on each other. These are charcoal but I can put one of my propane burners under them if needed. I have never smoked meat with propane.

Thanks