Lippert Level Up System

funntheson

hdm,

I have it. Love it. Get one!

The system you can get on a Landmark at time of order is called Lippert Electronic Leveling. It levels automatically at the push of a button on a control panel. There are other controls as well. There are 4 hydraulic jacks and the rear electric stabilizers are integrated with the system in that they deploy automatically after the system is level. They automatically raise/store when the system is re-powered on when it's time to break camp and hook up to the truck. Once hitched, there is a Auto-Retract button you hit to bring up the 4 hydraulic jacks.

Jim

Please explain how the auto retract works. When I turn on my system to "break camp", the stabilizers raise up, after which time, I hook the trailer to the truck, then if I push retract and auto, the front jacks will start to move.

Can someone please tell me step by step how this process should work?

DougS

Doug S
Larry,
I assume your unit is the same as on the Landmark. This is what I do to break camp.
- turn the unit on and the rear stabilizer comes up.
- I then push the retract button and a red light comes on
- Then I push the rear button at the bottom of the triangle until the rear jacks come up
- I then push the retract button again, to shut that mode off.
- I then push the front button on top of the triangle if the front needs to be raised to hitch up.
- Then hitch up.
- I then push retract again to get it set right on the hitch.
- Then push retract again to shut off
- Then after I am sure everything is hooked up right, I then push the auto retract.
- Unit is then shut off.
That's how I do it, others may have different ways. I have hooked up over 50 times so far, and this works for me.

Willym

Well described Doug. I do the same. You need to get the rear jacks up before raising the front for hooking up to the truck. I've never tried an Auto Retract.

DougS

Doug S
I just use the auto retract as a check. But from my list on earlier post, you have to scroll through the screen to get to auto retract then push enter button.

I also learned if the rear stabilizer jacks get too much road film on them, they do not work to come down. I now spray them every couple of times of use.

porthole

Retired
The add on Level up is slightly different. No rear stablizer actuation.

When it is "time", with front jacks only I raise or lower the trailer to match the hitch. Hitch up and raise the front landing gear till the jacks just start to come off the ground.
Hook up the power cord, jump in the truck and apply full trailer brakes. I then try pulling and backing a couple of times to make sure the hitch is secure.

After that I scroll on the key pad to reach auto retract, hit the button and step back and think -ah yup - this was a good add on.

funntheson

When it is "time", with front jacks only I raise or lower the trailer to match the hitch. Hitch up and raise the front landing gear till the jacks just start to come off the ground.
Hook up the power cord, jump in the truck and apply full trailer brakes. I then try pulling and backing a couple of times to make sure the hitch is secure.

After that I scroll on the key pad to reach auto retract, hit the button and step back and think -ah yup - this was a good add on.

Are the rear jacks still down when you auto retract? It seems as if most people say the rear jacks should be up before you connect to the truck.

I think that somebody needs to get better instructions from Lippert!
Any volunteers?

A video would be great!

porthole

Retired
Are the rear jacks still down when you auto retract? It seems as if most people say the rear jacks should be up before you connect to the truck.

I think that somebody needs to get better instructions from Lippert!
Any volunteers?

By rear jacks do you mean electric stabilizers or Lippert factory installed rear hydraulic jacks?

I lift the rear electric stab jacks manually. Not a feature of the post LevelUp install.

If you are referring to the hydraulic jacks - they "float" as in they go up and down to match the front landing gear to keep the frame from being stressed.

funntheson

Works like a charm.
Thank you.

DougS

Doug S
Just a thought. I keep an instruction list next to the controller just in case I have a senior moment between hookups.

I also had a couple of times when the controller did not work, thinking back, it probably was operator mistake. What you should do if that happens is shut the controller off then shut the power off to the unit, that can be done with the battery shut off if your unit comes with one. Wait about 30 seconds, then start again.

Willym

Note that the battery shut off only kills power to the controller if you are not on shore power.

Just a thought. I keep an instruction list next to the controller just in case I have a senior moment between hookups.

I also had a couple of times when the controller did not work, thinking back, it probably was operator mistake. What you should do if that happens is shut the controller off then shut the power off to the unit, that can be done with the battery shut off if your unit comes with one. Wait about 30 seconds, then start again.

Niles

Hey guys, I'm been saving my dimes and nickels to be able to put this system on, a couple of things I've read are confusing to me 1. do some of you still have the electric jacks on the back? And 2. why do you need to lube the hyd cylinders if they are retracted going down the road, they shouldn't be getting any grim on them. We are talking about the lippert 6 jack system right? The only problem I can visualize is the cylinders when down for a long time might get some surface rust on them and knock the seals out. Just trying to understand, don't need any more problems, I'm married you know.

DougS

Doug S
Niles,
This last discussion was on the factory installed system which to my knowledge all have 4 hydraulic jacks, 2 landing and 2 behind the rear wheels. The very back of the rig has electric stabilizers. The stabilizers have to work freely to work right. I had just come back from Alaska where they use corrosive material to re-do the roads so the rear stabilizers must have been full of road film. The 4 hydraulic jacks find their level first, then the rear electric stabilizers come down not to lift, but just to stabilize.
Not sure how the after market work. Hope this helps.

porthole

Retired
We are talking about the lippert 6 jack system right?

I am.

do some of you still have the electric jacks on the back?

Yes to the jacks, they are not removed. And if you have a toy hauler may be desirable.
Although, unless I am staying for more then a day I usually don’t use the electric jacks.

why do you need to lube the hyd cylinders if they are retracted going down the road, they shouldn't be getting any grim on them.

No need to lube. Lube would only attack dirt anyway.
The cylinders are coated and supposedly not susceptible to corrosion. Time will tell, the new piston coating is relatively new, I think within the past year..

Going down the road the four rear jacks are completely retracted.
The front landing gear pistons are never exposed. They remain inside the tubes.

If my jacks have debris on them I do wipe them off before retracting though. Can’t hurt.

Niles

Thanks everyone, Looks like we are talking about two different systems. I'm catching up now!!

porthole

Retired
Niles there are two Lippert systems.

From the factory you get hydraulic landing gear and 2 jacks behind the rear axles. The electric stabilizer jacks are tied into the system.

After market depends on if you have electric or hydraulic landing gear.

With electric landing gear you get new hydraulic replacement landing legs and 4 hydraulic jacks, two in front of the front axles and 2 behind the rear axles, for a total of 6. The electric stab jacks remain but are not tied into the system.

Hydraulic landing gear equipped coaches are the same as above without replacing the the front legs.

Personally - I like the after build version. Just my preference, but I would rather have 6 jacks supporting then 4 total.

fljlcw

We had the level up installed after the nashville rally on our 3580 only problem has been self imposed still dont know how to operate it DW wont let me near controls we have found on ours after being parked nearly 4 months we will have to relevel side to side just A little I may try to sneek out and push A button or two than run like h$%^. Fred

Niles

Duane, yes the after market is what I'm looking to do, I want the 6 jack system. They leave the electric rear jack on, I guess the jacks behind the axles are far enough forward you still need the electric ones.

porthole

Retired
I don't know if you really need them or not. I see no reason to take them off. And with our trailer (toy hauler) it is good for keeping it stable when loading unloading the heavy stuff. BUT - it is not necessary to use them for that, just peace of mind.

I can't see my jacks now through the snow, but if you look at some of the pictures I posted here they are not far from the wheels, front or rear.

OK, looking at these two pics, the fronts appear to be less then a foot away and the rears about 2 feet.

Attachments

• LevelUp_install_15.jpg
    LevelUp_install_15.jpg
    256.4 KB · Views: 66
  • LevelUp_install_13.jpg
    LevelUp_install_13.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 60

cwgentry7

Love Camping
We had the after market level up system installed after the Nashville ralley last year and we are very happy with the system. There is a learning curve for starting the process to level if the site is not level. ( I am talking about a lot out of level) The price was reduced a large amount compared to retail. They may offer a discount this year, you need to check with Jim and see if he knows anything. We also had them put a Tri-Glide king pin hitch on at the same time. Very pleased with both.

beasleyrl

Duane, yes the after market is what I'm looking to do, I want the 6 jack system. They leave the electric rear jack on, I guess the jacks behind the axles are far enough forward you still need the electric ones.

We had the same system (after market) put on our Cyclone right before the rally. I've found if we are simply stopping for 1 night, I tend not to lower the rear electric stabs. However, if we are going to be somewhere for a longer period, they are really nice to have. We have 2 kids and 3 dogs. If they are all playing in the back toy area, you can definitely feel them. With the combination of Level up and the rear stabs down, they are a lot less noticeable. I've also found they seem to make a big difference when the washer/dryer is running...