5th Wheel Covers

spandila

Has anyone used a protective cover for their trailer when it is being stored for winter etc? I was thinking of purchasing one for my Big Horn 3185 but wanted some feedback on types and brands etc. before purhasing one. If anyone has any experience with any types would love to hear from you.

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
We live in Nevada with some pretty harsh weather. We have always covered our trailers from November through May 1st. We have bought them from CW and others. We do a lot of preliminary work before installing the cover. We pad the corner rain gutters, the anntenna, lower the radio antenna, pad the corners, and the usual winterization to our 2010 Sundance 2900MK. We tie the cover very well to minimize any rubbing or abrasion. We have had some pretty good wind storms and have not yet suffered any damage to the cover. When I uncover in May i detail wax the whole rig to start the season. Sometimes we detail in the fall before covering. We are not retired yet but enjoy about 15 trips a year in the Nevada and Norther California area. Retirement maybe in 10 years. CW usually places the covers on sale in August.

Enjoy your new Bighorn!

ziggy

Retired Oregon HOC
Got our cover from Calmark. You can go to their website and they will tell you about the different materials available and what part of the country they are recommended for. We've used ours in Eastern OR high desert (snow, cold and wind) for three winters and there is not a tear in it. There are a couple of spots that show a little wear, but we expect that.

If you give them a call, they will help you decide which type will work best for you and tell you how to do the measurements so they can custom fit it for you.

Kristy

TahoeCamper

Founding Nevada-North Chapter Leader-Retired
spandila,

One thing I forgot to suggest: We store our cover in a 96 gallon "Toter" wheeled garbage can. Our Sundance 2900MK is 32' long and we can stuff the entire cover in it, include the A/C cover, ladder top cover and the wheel/tire covers in one wheeled container. Secure it with a bungie cord, park it anywhwere. When we get back from trips I put the wheel/tire covers back on, they're on top of the cover in the toter. When it comes time to re-cover the 5er, we wheel it over to the back of the coach, grab the cover and climb up the ladder to the front of the coach and drape it out. We always load the toter from the rear of the coach, that way the front is always on the top inside the toter. Just my 2 cents! Happy camping.

Gaffer

Hey Ziggy, I see bad reviews on the ADCO covers @ CW's web site. Looking at the Calmark. Seems they have fabric choices. Which one did you get? How much trouble is it to get it up on the roof? Weight?

PJ

codycarver

Founding Wyoming Chapter Leader-retired
Hey Ziggy, We also just purchased a 3670 and are considering a cover. I'm concerned about wind chafing it though. We live in Wyoming add get a fair amount of strong winds. Can you advise on how well it fits? Thanks, Dave