Home surveillance system to view online

J-W&E

We are looking to purchase a surveillance system so we can check our home while on the road. We are not interested in ADT type system, just something so we can go online and check the house.....probably like 2 or 3 cameras.

Does anyone run wireless cameras and do they need reset often? What systems are you happy with and why.

Thanks for the help.

There are many systems out there. I'd strongly consider a wired system however as the quality is usually better and they are just more reliable.

If you want to go really inexpensive, visit www.x10.com (mostly wireless)

If you want to go better, visit www.cctvfactory.com

If you want to record, you'll want a DVR type system.

For mere viewing, you'll want a system that either uses IP cameras or uses video output cameras that connect to a network video server to do the encoding.

I run 11 cameras (all video output) to a 16 channel DVR. All channels are recorded. The DVR is Internet accessible - but only via Internet Explorer or using client software for the DVR on a PC. Then I loop 4 channels out of the DVR and into an Axis 4 channel Network Video Server. These 4 channels are my public channels.

Set your budget, determine your goals and go shopping :)

Jim

RollingHome

I currently run 16 camera's which I can monitor on-line 24-7. I installed the system my self and it works great. It feeds into a DVR which I have already used to my advantage. I would suggest you do a search on eBay. I am a tech type so this helps. Others are more knowledgable then me, but if I can help let me know. Tom

ky-newbie

Jim and Tom,

That many camera's? Sounds like a London shopping neighborhood. ;) Just curious, and you don't have to give specifics if they're "super-secret". Are they the small hidden cameras, or ones you can obviously see? Inside and outside? Some pictures might be interesting to see.

Thanks,

Lannie

Lanny,

None of mine are hidden or are covert in style. I have:
2 on the perimeter fence pointed at the house
1 on the garage pointed at the driveway
1 on a column on the front stoop pointed at the front door
1 on the dog pen in the basement
1 in the basement covering both windows
1 in basement covering storage area aisle
1 in basement covering equipment rack
1 in office, high-mounted to cover entire office and windows
1 in garage

Oh my, I seem to have forgotten the 11th camera location. Need to look at the DVR.

I'd like to install 1 more outside but we plan on being in this home for less than a year, so only maintenance, no add-ons :)

New home will be wired by me for network, tel, sat, vid surveillance, alarm, fire etc. Fun-fun. Been wiring for over 30 years. Love it.

Jim

ky-newbie

Jim,

Sorry - in my haste, I mis-read this. I thought the post was about surveillance of an RV - not a house. :) I've wondered about having cameras in an RV, to monitor it while you're not there.

Lannie

PUG

Pug
I just installed an Arm Dvr four channel system with infarred color monitors. Don't go wireless. Arm is doing well. I tried a Digital Watchdog DVr but didn't care for it that much. You can get the DVRs set up with 4, 16, or 32 channels (cameras) I went with infarred so it sees well at night and when there is motion it triggers, records, and sends an email notification to me whereever I am along with being forwarded to my cell phones. Most ISP providers block port 25 but there is a way to get around that by using an outside mail server such as GMX that the DVR sends the notification to and then GMX forwards it to my ISP regular mail server. Ihave no monthly fee. I am setting on a lake in Central Idaho right now and just got through looking at my four cameras at the house.

Another option that isn't real expensive is Alarm.Com. You buy the equipment (I still suggest a DVR for recording Storage and cameras) and they do the relaying and email notification. They will try to sell you their cameras and DVRs but you can do better in price. If you aren't real computer savey and don't mind doing some computer maintenance Alarm.Com might be for you. It is about $120 yr.

J-W&E

Thank you all for helping. Gee.......11 cameras !!!! Wow, we will be happy with just 3. We will check into the companies you all have suggested. We will let you know what we go with...........thanks again!

RollingHome

I have several high end cameras. I have had really great success with B&W cameras from Harbor Freight. They cost $29.00 and work well. They come with a 120VAC wall wort and a long cable. They are voice capable too. They are weathertight and can be installed outside. Some have been in use 3 years and still are crystal clear. H.F. color cameras seem to loose their color and clarity in a couple of months use (on 24/7), I won't buy any more. Both camera/s are about the size of a "C" cell battery. I have noticed most color cameras loose their color and clarity and B&W do not. This is true of higher quality (higher priced) cameras too. I only have one wireless camera everything else is hard wired. I also put the system on a UPS. The DVR has 16 video inputs and 2 audio inputs. It also outputs video & audio to a vcr/TV for easy recording & viewing. In addition it will burn CD's. I think I paid about $1200.00 or $1500 a couple of years ago for the DVR (on line).

mtmax

I have several high end cameras. I have had really great success with B&W cameras from Harbor Freight. They cost $29.00 and work well. They come with a 120VAC wall wort and a long cable. They are voice capable too. They are weathertight and can be installed outside. Some have been in use 3 years and still are crystal clear. H.F. color cameras seem to loose their color and clarity in a couple of months use (on 24/7), I won't buy any more. Both camera/s are about the size of a "C" cell battery. I have noticed most color cameras loose their color and clarity and B&W do not. This is true of higher quality (higher priced) cameras too. I only have one wireless camera everything else is hard wired. I also put the system on a UPS. The DVR has 16 video inputs and 2 audio inputs. It also outputs video & audio to a vcr/TV for easy recording & viewing. In addition it will burn CD's. I think I paid about $1200.00 or $1500 a couple of years ago for the DVR (on line).

I second the Harbor Freight cameras. I have used them on several occasions as a more cost effective solution for some of my clients businesses. I also HIGHLY recommend having the recording system on a UPS.

Another important aspect I always recommend for those not going with a commercial system is to implement a mechanism to remotely "reboot" the recorder (wether its a computer, a dvr, or other). Depending on this mechanism you also have the ability to power the unit on in the case of an extended power outage where the battery in the UPS didn't last long enough.

wdk450

On sort of a related note:
We had a story on the news just a couple of days ago about an Air Conditioning contractor who had multiple cameras at his business, got up early one morning at home and turned on the computer, and watched as low-lifes made a U-turn in front of his business, cut the chain link fence (at this point he called the police), and proceeded to heft 4 used outside air conditioner systems into their truck ( for metals theft). The police car was waiting for them at the corner when they left.
As a side note, there are stringent metals recycling identification/registration laws now in effect in California. Unfortunately, there was no funding in the legislation for officers to enforce these requirements, and the local sherrif's office budget has cut everything to the bone, eliminating the 1 officer they had to check on this stuff. That, with copper shortages due to a Chilean earthquake, has metals theft in this area running rampant again.

RollingHome

By the way, I also have my video/audio archived on a remote web server in case my home based units take a powder. This gives me/police double backup in case it's needed. Tom :angel:

Rickhansen

I have an alternative product for all the "techie-types" out there. Rather than a simple Camera/DVR setup, take a look at http://www.synology.com/us/products/features/surveillancestation.php

Synology makes a wide variety of NAS devices in scaleable hardware platforms. It runs on a linux OS, with PHP, MySQL database support, etc. that all have built in camera support, a web user interface, PTZ, DVR, etc. You also get a built-in DLNA media server, Apache web server, file server, FTP server, mail server, and the list goes on. It also has a Dynamic DNS function that keeps it available on the web via residential internet connections.

I have a DS107, which is an older model, but have had absolutely no problems with it in over 2 years. Synology is always enhancing their software with easily installed upgrades. They are very reasonably priced and available through many vendors (look on ebay). It is very easy to setup and maintain.

It certainly offers a lot of power for a couple hundred bucks.

RollingHome

Rick, You are much more computer savy then I am. Man all those acronyms and abbreviations you used had my head spinning :). Anyway, I would like to know more about the service/product you mentioned. Is this a remote server where my video/audio data is stored ? In other words a internet protocol (IP) camera (my camera) transmits directly to their server which stores my data ? I currently do this and it is free (actually my DVR re-transmits). How much does this service cost and is it based on quantity of cameras ? Actually, my DVR is a filter in that I set it's pixel acclamation sensitivity and this dictates how much I transmit. Most of the time my DVR is not recording, it starts when a pixel change is initiated (by a close bird or a distant car). Technology changes quicker then me and it's tough to keep up, so thanks for the info. Tom

mtmax

Rick, You are much more computer savy then I am. Man all those acronyms and abbreviations you used had my head spinning :). Anyway, I would like to know more about the service/product you mentioned. Is this a remote server where my video/audio data is stored ? In other words a internet protocol (IP) camera (my camera) transmits directly to their server which stores my data ? I currently do this and it is free (actually my DVR re-transmits). How much does this service cost and is it based on quantity of cameras ? Actually, my DVR is a filter in that I set it's pixel acclamation sensitivity and this dictates how much I transmit. Most of the time my DVR is not recording, it starts when a pixel change is initiated (by a close bird or a distant car). Technology changes quicker then me and it's tough to keep up, so thanks for the info. Tom

Rick,

I'll chime in here because I am an authorized reseller of Synology products. The Synology products are for all intents and purposes a small computer whose only purpose it to store data. This computer has different types of applications written for it that provide different ways to get data in and out. These applications do a wide variety of very cool things but the important one here is their Surveillance Station Application which records the video from 1 or more ip based cameras. The physical computer would most likely reside in your home or office and with the correct configuration could be set to view from outside your home or office network.

Another application that I think is a great feature of the synology products is the "cloud" backup. This essentially encrypts your data and sends it to the "cloud" where it is protected against theft, natural disaster, failure of your computer, etc...

I can speak in great depth about storing backup sets in the cloud but for the sake of not boring anyone here feel free to contact me and I'll explain as much or as little as you want.
jonas(at)vertexcg(dot)com

Jonas

J-W&E

Hi Jim,

My son-in-law is helping us get a system to monitor our home remotely.

Quick question:

* does your system have a static IP through your ISP?
if not
* how do you 'get to your camera' address from your remote location?

Thanks Jim - looking forward to your guidance.

HAPPY FOURTH!!

mtmax

Hi Jim,

My son-in-law is helping us get a system to monitor our home remotely.

Quick question:

* does your system have a static IP through your ISP?
if not
* how do you 'get to your camera' address from your remote location?

Thanks Jim - looking forward to your guidance.

HAPPY FOURTH!!

Jim,

I'll jump in here as I think I can see where you are going with your questions ... If I am off base let me know a little more about the specifics and I will do my best.

A static IP is recomended but not 100% necessary. Using a dynamic DNS client to update DNS when your IP changes is possible ... however this adds another level of complexity that can cause failures.

As far as getting to the IP address of your cameras from a remote location ... This can be acomplished with a VPN device located in your home OR (and this is probably the best route for a home situation) using a central device that can see all the cameras (record, pan, tilt, etc...) This device most likely has a web interface that you can get to through your browser. All that needs to be done in this situation is to "poke" a hole or two in your firewall/router to allow traffic to get through from the outside.

If you have any other questions let me know.

J.

Rickhansen

Tom and Patti, Sorry to confuse with the terminology, but I don't make this stuff up ;)

I'm glad that Jonas hopped in because I'm not as smart as I'd like to be. I will say that the Synology product does a lot for a very reasonable price.

PUG

Pug
I installed a hard wired system (only way to go) with four cameras. I have a DVR controller made by Digital Watchdog and the cameras are good quality (not the harbor freight or X-10 stuff (I tried them too). The cameras are infared stationary and I can see from anywhere day or night. I set up a thermometer to see the temp in the house from one camera. The whole system installed was about $1200. Very easy to get online from a computer anywhere to view what is and what "has" been going on. It also notify's by e-mail of an occurance but I have found even with the sensitivity set to very low it about drove me nuts with e mails. I lay a few dog toys around that would be tripped over and if I see something out of place, I go back in History to see what is going on.