Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Home surveillance system to view online

1. Print this Post   #1

Home surveillance system to view online

We are looking to purchase a surveillance system so we can check our home while on the road. We are not interested in ADT type system, just something so we can go online and check the house.....probably like 2 or 3 cameras.

Does anyone run wireless cameras and do they need reset often? What systems are you happy with and why.

Thanks for the help.
    Jim, Wilma and Ebbie (our black lab)

2005 Dodge Diesel DRW 4x4
    6 speed Jake Brake
    2006 Grand Canyon #439

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: Home surveillance system to view online

There are many systems out there. I'd strongly consider a wired system however as the quality is usually better and they are just more reliable.

If you want to go really inexpensive, visit www.x10.com (mostly wireless)

If you want to go better, visit www.cctvfactory.com

If you want to record, you'll want a DVR type system.

For mere viewing, you'll want a system that either uses IP cameras or uses video output cameras that connect to a network video server to do the encoding.

I run 11 cameras (all video output) to a 16 channel DVR. All channels are recorded. The DVR is Internet accessible - but only via Internet Explorer or using client software for the DVR on a PC. Then I loop 4 channels out of the DVR and into an Axis 4 channel Network Video Server. These 4 channels are my public channels.

Set your budget, determine your goals and go shopping

Jim

3. Print this Post   #3

I currently run 16 camera's which I can monitor on-line 24-7. I installed the system my self and it works great. It feeds into a DVR which I have already used to my advantage. I would suggest you do a search on eBay. I am a tech type so this helps. Others are more knowledgable then me, but if I can help let me know. Tom
    Tom & Patti
    Lancaster, PA
    RV - 3670 RL
    TV - 3500 HD DW NBS

4. Print this Post   #4

Jim and Tom,

That many camera's? Sounds like a London shopping neighborhood. Just curious, and you don't have to give specifics if they're "super-secret". Are they the small hidden cameras, or ones you can obviously see? Inside and outside? Some pictures might be interesting to see.

Thanks,

Lannie

5. Print this Post   #5

Lanny,

None of mine are hidden or are covert in style. I have:
    2 on the perimeter fence pointed at the house
    1 on the garage pointed at the driveway
    1 on a column on the front stoop pointed at the front door
    1 on the dog pen in the basement
    1 in the basement covering both windows
    1 in basement covering storage area aisle
    1 in basement covering equipment rack
    1 in office, high-mounted to cover entire office and windows
    1 in garage

Oh my, I seem to have forgotten the 11th camera location. Need to look at the DVR.

I'd like to install 1 more outside but we plan on being in this home for less than a year, so only maintenance, no add-ons

New home will be wired by me for network, tel, sat, vid surveillance, alarm, fire etc. Fun-fun. Been wiring for over 30 years. Love it.

Jim

6. Print this Post   #6

Jim,

Sorry - in my haste, I mis-read this. I thought the post was about surveillance of an RV - not a house. I've wondered about having cameras in an RV, to monitor it while you're not there.

Lannie

7. Print this Post   #7

I just installed an Arm Dvr four channel system with infarred color monitors. Don't go wireless. Arm is doing well. I tried a Digital Watchdog DVr but didn't care for it that much. You can get the DVRs set up with 4, 16, or 32 channels (cameras) I went with infarred so it sees well at night and when there is motion it triggers, records, and sends an email notification to me whereever I am along with being forwarded to my cell phones. Most ISP providers block port 25 but there is a way to get around that by using an outside mail server such as GMX that the DVR sends the notification to and then GMX forwards it to my ISP regular mail server. Ihave no monthly fee. I am setting on a lake in Central Idaho right now and just got through looking at my four cameras at the house.

Another option that isn't real expensive is Alarm.Com. You buy the equipment (I still suggest a DVR for recording Storage and cameras) and they do the relaying and email notification. They will try to sell you their cameras and DVRs but you can do better in price. If you aren't real computer savey and don't mind doing some computer maintenance Alarm.Com might be for you. It is about $120 yr.
    2009 Cyclone 3950, 2011 Carriage Cameo 36fws
    2009 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7, Isspro Guages, TST TPMS system, Aux Fuel Tank, CB
    Honda Shadow 1100
    Yamaha 660 Grizzly
    Catalina 26 Yaght

8. Print this Post   #8

Thank you all for helping. Gee.......11 cameras !!!! Wow, we will be happy with just 3. We will check into the companies you all have suggested. We will let you know what we go with...........thanks again!
    Jim, Wilma and Ebbie (our black lab)

2005 Dodge Diesel DRW 4x4
    6 speed Jake Brake
    2006 Grand Canyon #439

9. Print this Post   #9

I have several high end cameras. I have had really great success with B&W cameras from Harbor Freight. They cost $29.00 and work well. They come with a 120VAC wall wort and a long cable. They are voice capable too. They are weathertight and can be installed outside. Some have been in use 3 years and still are crystal clear. H.F. color cameras seem to loose their color and clarity in a couple of months use (on 24/7), I won't buy any more. Both camera/s are about the size of a "C" cell battery. I have noticed most color cameras loose their color and clarity and B&W do not. This is true of higher quality (higher priced) cameras too. I only have one wireless camera everything else is hard wired. I also put the system on a UPS. The DVR has 16 video inputs and 2 audio inputs. It also outputs video & audio to a vcr/TV for easy recording & viewing. In addition it will burn CD's. I think I paid about $1200.00 or $1500 a couple of years ago for the DVR (on line).
    Tom & Patti
    Lancaster, PA
    RV - 3670 RL
    TV - 3500 HD DW NBS

10. Print this Post   #10

Quote Originally Posted by RollingHome View Post
    I have several high end cameras. I have had really great success with B&W cameras from Harbor Freight. They cost $29.00 and work well. They come with a 120VAC wall wort and a long cable. They are voice capable too. They are weathertight and can be installed outside. Some have been in use 3 years and still are crystal clear. H.F. color cameras seem to loose their color and clarity in a couple of months use (on 24/7), I won't buy any more. Both camera/s are about the size of a "C" cell battery. I have noticed most color cameras loose their color and clarity and B&W do not. This is true of higher quality (higher priced) cameras too. I only have one wireless camera everything else is hard wired. I also put the system on a UPS. The DVR has 16 video inputs and 2 audio inputs. It also outputs video & audio to a vcr/TV for easy recording & viewing. In addition it will burn CD's. I think I paid about $1200.00 or $1500 a couple of years ago for the DVR (on line).
    I second the Harbor Freight cameras. I have used them on several occasions as a more cost effective solution for some of my clients businesses. I also HIGHLY recommend having the recording system on a UPS.

Another important aspect I always recommend for those not going with a commercial system is to implement a mechanism to remotely "reboot" the recorder (wether its a computer, a dvr, or other). Depending on this mechanism you also have the ability to power the unit on in the case of an extended power outage where the battery in the UPS didn't last long enough.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast