Wheel Bearing Lubrication -"Easy Lube Hub"

caissiel

After 2.5 years you might have harden grease in the hubs that might give you a problem to use the zirks. I would proceed with caution and not pump hard at all while greasing, if it gets hard to pump I would keep turning the wheel and if it don't get easier to pump I would remove the wheel to check the seals. If all is good I would remove the old grease and repack and replace the wheel. Its nice to check at least once to check your good work.

Have fun....

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Not only is is a good idea to pull the wheels and repack, it is also recomended at one year or every 12,000 miles. IMO 1 year is overkill.
It is also the time to inspect the brakes, magnets, wires and adjust the brakes.,

Peace
Dave

porthole

Retired
Just my 2 cents.

I have seen cars go 100k and never have the bearings packed – checked.
Problems, sometimes, most of the time no.
Grease that is caked solid when taken apart was usually on vehicles that had many miles, many years, or over heated or just plain garbage grease was put in when they were repacked.

I think if you do it right, every year is a little much, especially with the greaseable hubs, providing you do that correctly.

Spinning the wheel does two things. Allows the grease to be distributed around the rollers. Helps push old grease through the rollers and takes the load off the bearing so that you can actually get the grease around the rollers. If you are not spinning the hub when you are pumping grease in you are wasting your time.

Repacking, if you do it correctly, gives you the opportunity to physically look at the bearings to see the condition. I’m assuming that if you have the instinct to actually take all this apart, make a mess cleaning and repacking then you have the ability to look at the bearing and judge condition.

BTW, if there is even a single spot on the roller that looks iffy (might look like a pit or flaking) change all the bearings.

If you are taking apart the bearings to do a hand repacking – how are you going to clean them? How are you going to repack them?

Always use new seals, double lip with a spring are usually better seals, single lip or no spring might be a sign of quality.

Buy good grease, stay away from HF stuff.
Now if you are inclined to go to a shop to have it done be aware there are two ways to do it, the right way and …………………………

This is from over 20 years in the automotive field, little over 18 at new car dealers as a class A tech.
I have done scores of bearings over the years and never short changed the job, never made a lot of hours either. Use to tell my trainees that “there is never enough time to do the job right the first time but there is always time to do it right the second time”. They would give you that bewildered look and then I would have to explain - do it right the first time.

I have seen on many occasions short cuts on bearing re-packs. Conscientious customer comes in and wants his bearings repacked. Pays his 2-3 hour bill and drives away happy that he had proper maintenance done, little did he know all the “tech” did was pop the cover and put some grease in the cap.

It is buyer beware for even the simple maintenance.

Dmaxcc6spd

I don't have the grease fittings. I have the 6K axles - I wanted a better safety margin. As for doing the job, cleaning is no problem with a 30 gallon parts washer! No offense, but the few times I have had warranty work performed, the work was sub standard. I have gotten to the point that I will not let anyone work on my stuff. I want the job done right the first time and don't want to find out that some tech skimped on the job and I end up with a failure 1000 miles from home!
I'll bring the unit home in the next week or 2 and start the prep process for the season. Repacking bearings will definately be on the list!

ultrafarmer

When I done mine They said to put Indian Head Sea lac on the seal before installing it. I let it set over night to set up before installing it on the axle. I then pumped it full of grease. It took about 175 pumps of grease before it came out the front bearing. After I did one I took it back off and checked out the seal to see if all was good and it was so I did the other 5 wheels the same way. I rotated the tire when putting it the grease also. I believe it is done right. The Indian Head keeps the seal from pushing out if the pressure is a little high. Good luck

Duramax1

Not only is is a good idea to pull the wheels and repack, it is also recomended at one year or every 12,000 miles. IMO 1 year is overkill.
It is also the time to inspect the brakes, magnets, wires and adjust the brakes.,

Peace
Dave

I find the easiest way to inspect brakes is to apply the manual brake controller when travelling slowly and I then immediately find out in real time if the brakes are working properly. I am not sure I would be as confident that the brakes were working properly if I did a
visual inspection.

I usually go through this check out procedure each time when leaving an rv parksite.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
I find the easiest way to inspect brakes is to apply the manual brake controller when travelling slowly and I then immediately find out in real time if the brakes are working properly. I am not sure I would be as confident that the brakes were working properly if I did a
visual inspection.

I usually go through this check out procedure each time when leaving an rv parksite.

I do the same. I wouldn't know what I was looking at even if I did disassemble the brake drums and bearings. I have done and can do many things, but automotive mechanic is not one of them.

Birchwood

I follow the procedure same as on the cerka web site(the one Duramax1 provided).Its probably
important to change the grease often to keep a good grease flow from rear to front.If the grease
gets old and hard its a good chance a rear seal will be blown.Another tip is buy a coloured grease
like red so it will be evident when the old grease has been purged.