Hitch Buddy Tow Dolly

jbeletti

jayc

Default one Landmark and one Bighorn

We just came back from a week-long stay in Montgomery Tx. and saw a 2955 Bighorn across the street from us and a Landmark Monticello that was parked about 6 spaces away from the Bighorn.

The Landmark had the darndest tow dolly that I've ever seen. The owner uses a Ford F-350 with a camper cover over the bed and tows his fifth wheel with a tow dolly. It hitches up to the receiver hitch, and then uses a conventional fifth wheel hitch on the dolly to pull the trailer. This rig would allow the full use of your truck bed, but I don't see any other practical use for it. Maybe someone has also seen a rig like this one and can shed some light on it?
Cassie-Schnauzer

2002 GMC 2500HD CC SLT
Duramax(Edge, no Attitude)/Allison
1998 Mobile Scout 5'er 33RKFS

Please join us at the http://www.texasboomers.net

Jay,

Could have been a Hitch Buddy.

A person's need for one could be varied. If you had say a diesel powered Excursion or Suburban, needed the people carrying capacity and wanted to tow a 5er - as an example.

I understand they are an expensive proposition but it could solve a dilema for some.

Jim

Jim

Last edited:

billd

Hitch Buddy

Jim,

I have a hitch buddy on order and should be here in two weeks. For me I drive and F350 but I need to keep a shell on my truck for my mobility scooter due to polio. This way I have the right truck to tow my big horn and still have use of my scooter lift and shell.

When I get it all hooked up I will take pictures to post here.

Bill

Edited by Admin per user to add photos:

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/hitch_buddy/Hitch_Buddy.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/hitch_buddy/Hitch_buddy_attached.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/hitch_buddy/Truck_and_Trailer.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/hitch_buddy/side_view.jpg

//heartlandowners.org/attachments/hitch_buddy/side_view_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

jbeletti

Hi Bill,

Sounds like a great solution for your situation. That's great that there is an option like that to tow a 5er when needed. I'd love to see it. Maybe you can join us for the rally the first weekend in June.

Jim

K

Ken Washington

How in the world would you back with the Hitch Buddy? I would think that it would be impossible!
Ken

nhunter

Backing up really shouldn't be any different than backing up and "A" train. Instead of turning opposite with the trailer you would turn like you would without the trailer.

madigand

I guess it would take some gettin use to. I bet you would get a lot of looks and questions when parking at CG :D

billd

I get questions at every campsite we go to. It makes for an interesting conversation point.

Bill

kognito

Hey Bill,

How does that thing dis-connect?? Is it stable enough to just dis-connect from the bumper hitch like a regular TT?? Or do you dis-connect the king pin first??

Does it need weight distribution, and sway bars??

I'm just curious!

Cruiser

To disconnect it you have to unhook the 5th wheel first, release air pressure out of an air shock used to distrubute weight. Remove the two outside stablizer bars, lock the front frame, lower the storage caster, pull hitch pin and pull the HB out of the truck receiver.

It takes me about 5 mins to unhook once the trailer is spotted and leveled.

Bill
Hello Bill. I have the same 5er as yours - nice unit. I am interested in the tow buddy. Have done some research and I fully understand the design and operational concept. I do have a question with regards to the amount of weight transferred to the tow vehicle. What in the minimun weight I can apply with the air shock system. I plan on placing a smart car in the box of my GMC 3500 dually and have aprox 500 lbs to play with. This would keep my axle weights legal.
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Cruiser.

billd

The amount of air determines the amount of weight distributed. For the 3670 I put 120 pounds of air in the shock to get the 30% transfer to the truck.

Bill

Cruiser

Hello Bill. Thanks for your prompt reply. As I mentioned before, I only have aprox 500 lbs that I can add to my truck before my back axle is over weight. Do you have any idea how much weight would transfer to the truck if I keep the shock pressure to a minimum.

Once again any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Jim

billd

Jim,

Well if at 120 lbs it is 30 percent transfer. 60 lbs would be about 15 percent transfer. So my estimate that would be around 330 lbs added to your rear axle.

Bill

fishn2dmax

I wonder how the various states would treat this set-up from a double tow law perspective? By most State law definitions, the tow buddy would be considered a trailer and the 5'e would be a trailer connected to a trailer ( double towing)? I'd be concerned driving this set-up through the States that outlaw double towing - They could take issue with this type of set-up on their roads?

billd

I have gone from CA to TX with Highway patrol looking at us and not stopping us. The manufacturer sells it as a tag axle because it mounts in 3 locations not one.

Bill

fhollan

I wonder how the various states would treat this set-up from a double tow law perspective? By most State law definitions, the tow buddy would be considered a trailer and the 5'e would be a trailer connected to a trailer ( double towing)? I'd be concerned driving this set-up through the States that outlaw double towing - They could take issue with this type of set-up on their roads?

I recently retired from law enforcement. The above is a interesting question. I have not seen the tow buddy around here yet. If it had a pivot point between the tow vehicle and the tow buddy, I would imagine it would be a different issue and the state legislature would have to act on it first. I first saw the video last year after seeing a advertisement in Trailer Life. Right now there is nothing (at least in Indiana) that says that you have to get it plated. But research would have to be done. Someone at the state level will have to classify it first as a trailer. The more they become visible on the road, it will become a issue at the state level. It all depends on how each state will interpret the tow buddy. Before a police officer can issue a citation, it has to be backed up with a state statute. If it is classified as a trailer, than it would have to be plated. Each state is different. I'll do some research on this and see what answers I can obtain.