Piezo Stove lighter

alkyspeed

Here's the fix for lighting the pilot flame for your oven. Tried the one spark ignitor but did not have very good luck with that system. It lit about one time out of 50 tries -- not a good average.
This universal fit ignitor is available at Meijer stores and I'm sure other places. Push the button and you get a constant spark which will light the pilot. Once burning the thermocouple takes over and the oven will light normally.
So much better than lying on the floor and trying to see the pilot tube and trying to light it with a match or even a bar-b-que lighter.

Attachments

• Piezo Button.jpg
    Piezo Button.jpg
    716.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Close up Install.jpg
    Close up Install.jpg
    777.6 KB · Views: 396
  • Electronic Ignitor.jpg
    Electronic Ignitor.jpg
    719.1 KB · Views: 403

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Great Idea! There have been several members that have done a similar mod. I tried it with the same results as your first attemp with the single click igniter. Looks like I may have to go shopping again.

Duramax1

Looks like a great modification.

How did you make the hole in the front of your stove to accommodate the electronic lighter?

Wharton

Does this require a battery? I have looked in Lowes and HD and cannot find a continuous spark igniter. Sure would solve a problem.

2010augusta

Okay, so what is the "trick" to the position of the sparking tip? Where should the spark be aimed? I got a 4 burner igniter, so I plan to use it for the three stove burners and the oven.

Wharton

Your range should have a piezo lighter built in. I know our BH does and so did our previous trailers. The problem is the oven, you need to stand on your head to light it. I don't use my oven as much as I would like because of this.

Duramax1

Okay, so what is the "trick" to the position of the sparking tip? Where should the spark be aimed? I got a 4 burner igniter, so I plan to use it for the three stove burners and the oven.

Your idea of using the igniter for more than just the oven sounds great.

Where did you purchase your ignitor kit?

alkyspeed

I don't know about using the piezo ignitor for the burners; I didn't do that even though there were extra ignitors. That did not seem necessary to me because they are no problem lighting from topside. I was more concerned with lighting the oven pilot flame. Position the sparking tip about 1/8" from the metal at the pilot so it is directly in the gas stream.

Duramax1

I found a compact 1.5" x 3" AAA sparker on ebay for ~$19 and Home Depot has a larger AA unit for ~$28

Has anyone tried using the Home Depot unit? I am concerned that the unit may be too large but possibly it is the same size as the unit installed by Alkyspeed. The Home Depot Unit is a Griil Pro and the unit installed by Alkyspeed is Grand Gourmet. I have not seen any Grand Gourmet units in my area.

alkyspeed

The ignitor control unit is fairly large. I checked for other locations to install but the spot between the center knob and the knob to the left seemed to be the only place it would fit. You have to measure very carefully to locate the hole vertically. You know the old saying ----- Measure Twice (or more for me), Cut Once. Don't know about the size comparison of the two units from Home Depot compared to the one I bought from Meijers store.

Duramax1

It is the vertical measurement that I am concerned with, as the ignitor will sit on the propane distribution tube and there is not that much vertical clearance to the bottom of the stove lid.

I took a measurement in the store today and I will need a minimum of 3 1/4 inches. I happened to find a food tin in our pantry at home which measures that height and I will take it to the trailer this coming week to see if it will fit.

davelinde

I don't know about using the piezo ignitor for the burners; I didn't do that even though there were extra ignitors. That did not seem necessary to me because they are no problem lighting from topside.

Funny - I was thinking the opposite! On the stove, light the pilot and you are done... but with the range you need to find a lighter each time you cook. This is on my to-do list... For sure post pics/notes if anyone gets this working. THANKS.

Wharton

On our 2011 BH there is a piezo lighter included on the range. If I remember correctly it is not part of burner knob but a sepearte button one pushes.

I find lighting the oven a bigger pest. We don't use it too often so we don't light the pilot, just a waste of propane.

PUG

Pug
Jim; I have googled the Grand Gourmet continious spark ignitor and can't seem to find it online. I also looked at the Meijer online store and don't see it. Can you tell me the part # of the ignitor? Would this also work to do not only light the oven but the dual stovetops?

Thanks

PUG

Pug
I have looked all over the internet trying to find the unit you bought but can't find one. I contacted the Co you got yours from and they don't have it in their mail order and don't mail out from their stores.

Could you find the item number, model, etc. so I can pinch down the search. I want to use it on the oven and the two top burners. Thanks