Step lighting project.

I often get the midnight snack cravings and sometimes get up during the night for something to drink. Many times, I may have company sleeping down stairs on the blow up air sofa. I don't engage the bright overhead fluorescent light(s) to prevent waking them. So, after my near "wipe-out" late one night while going down to the kitchen for a cookie, I thought I'd better get some step lights.

Went to the home depot and bought a couple of rope lights. Both are two feet in length. Drilled a small hole in the corner of each step and fished the plugs underneath into the basement. I plugged them into the same outlet as the central vac behind the storage panels in the basement.

So, pretty much fixed my issue! They run all the time, day and night. Now I can see how to get a cookie in the middle of the night! After all, my description of a balanced diet is a cookie in each hand! :D
bighorn1.jpg

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
We stick a small neon nightlight in the outlet under the counter overhang. Comes on by itself when it's dark.

lwmcguir

We use LED's with sensors for night lighting. Leaving the LED lights on under the counter works well also. The stair light look cool but I would install a sensor that turns them on/off to put a final finish on the job.

Gary Steeves

Camping World sells a motion detector light (comes in a package of 2) designed to be mounted above the door lock on the outside. I used one on the door and the second one mounted on the wall at the steps. It does a great job detecting your presence, turns on the light and it goes back off after you have departed with your cookies. They are battery operated, which I have found lasts about 5 months. No wiring involved !

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
Josh
sounds like a good idea. I have had a issue with those steps as well, for some reason the lid to the storage area under the steps is just a little higher than the carpet in front throwing you off balance. If you are not careful you will fall. I did one night slide right off landed in the dinning room. thought I broke my leg. What a mess. no broken bones just bruised the bone was off my feet for six weeks. I think I will tell my Husband about your idea.

Jellystone

This thread makes me smile! One night a few months ago my DW got up to go and check on the kidos sleeping in their beds. I heard her "bottom" hitting every step on the way down in the dark. I got up to check on her and she was fine & we both had a laugh. I went back to bed and layed down and then I heard her falling on the steps on the way up. I got up again and this time we laughed out loud (she was ok). --Before the comments roll in, NO ALCOHOL was involved and she is NOT BLONDE!! (Hee Hee)