Wheel Bearing Grease

57chevyconvt

I have a 3410RE Big Horn with 6000# axles that are equipped with SuperLube Hubs. I would like to grease the hubs but have no idea what grease to use. When I picked up the trailer last May, the dealer's mechanic said to use a 'High Quality Moly Lube'. I know that all greases are not the same, therefore I would like to stay with the same brand and type of grease that was used by Lippert during the initial installation. I would appreciate your thoughts and suggestions.

mjatwalker

Retired MD Chapter ******s
If you go to Lipperts website you should find the answer.There is a link to it on the Portal Page of the Fourm.

Arkansas1

Past Arkansas Chapter Leaders
Hey 57,
I was also going to lube my axles but after speaking with others that went the route that you mentioned and I found out that sometimes the seals may leak under the pressure from the gun and allow some of the grease to get into the brakes, so I elected to go with the old fashion hand packing once a year, just my thoughts.
Good Luck,

caissiel

I do it with the wheel rotation method and the grease gun just applies enough pressure to feed the internal bearing with grease, no pressure at the gun should be applied because the bearing pumps the grease from the inner to the outside toward the center.

The bearings are designed to pump its own grease through so I don't see any chance of hurting the seals if the greasing is done properly.

NEVER APPLY PRESSURE TO THE GREASE GUN WHILE THE WHEEL IS NOT TURNING.

57chevyconvt

Thanks for all the good replies to my question on type of grease. Went to Lippert's site and got the details of the recommended grease. Rotating the wheel while greasing never entered my mind. Good sound reasoning to proper greasing technique, maybe Lippert should include this in there tech bulletin.