Sewer smell

f250dieseldad

I have a problem. When we empty the holding tanks we get an odor in the camper. Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

mesteve

I too was getting a sewery type smell for a while. I had the greys open for a week or so and I think there was not enough water being put down the toilet to cover the solids. I don't know which was the culprit as I corrected both at the same time and the smell went away.

hillsonwheels

Happens a lot with us too! Haven't been able to pinpoint cause. But, I'm really gunshy after a gray water tank replacement last winter and a black water tank problem this spring when we got to our summer place in VA. Since Reta has asthma, it's really a big issue with us. She can't blame all those smells on me, or can she? :confused: Sure am interested in what your findings are. Please shout it out!

Dick

trdeal

Past North Carolina Chapter Leader
John, we had the same thing happen when we dumped at Ocean Lakes(Boy would I like to be back down there!) last week. I had the ac on so I just assumed the fumes were being sucked in. I like your cabbage also. And the ham wasn't bad either.

ct0218

I've noticed the odor too, just can't understand why. There are traps between the sewer and the living area that should stop any odor from getting through. The only possibility I can come up with is that the sudden volume drain from the tanks pulls water out of the traps, allowing the gases to enter. On my next dump I'm going to try running a little water from each fixture, keeping that trap full, and hopefully keeping that smell out. It takes a while for it to dissipate!

SmokeyBare

Might want to open the A/C grill and seal any leaks inside the unit above the A/C filter (Air Intake). This might not apply to the new laminated roof design units, but those of us who have an open Attic, (Units with out the solid foam insulation) could be drawing air from the attic by way of those unsealed openings inside the A/C unit. Plenty of roof top black & gray vent pipes are pretty short and under the vent cover. Holes the vent pipes poke through the roof surface can often have a small gap which can allow the gases coming out of the tanks to be pulled back inside the attic.

Just a thought.

Marv

Kevin and Henny White

Past California-Central Chapter Leaders
John
We had that problem for the first time after the tanks were drained for the winter.The first time out hooked up and filled the hot water tank and was running the water and what a smell. My husband thought that maybe the gases built up in the empty tanks.ran the water for about an hour the smell cleared up thank God.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
After extensive searching of RV forums, I found many have mentioned a check valve in the plumbing system. Ours is under the kitchen sink. I contacted Heartland Customer Service and ordered a replacement valve. This makes sense as the worst odor is in the area of the kitchen sink. From what I can understand the valve is supposed to introduce air into the plumbing system as the tanks are drained. If this valve is not working properly it could be the source of the problem. We have had one grey tank slow to drain lately and John believes it could also possibly interfere with tank drainage rates if air is not replaced in the system. We will let you know if this helps when we receive and install the new part.

mrcomer

Past Ohio Chapter Leaders (Founding)
I had this odor from time to time and desided to try this replacement roof vent for the black tank. I bought it during the Rally in Nashville and installed it the same day. All I can say is that I haven't had any odors since the installation.

Mark

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
Thanks Mark. If the new check valve doesn't cure the problem we'll have to check into this vent cap.

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
PROBLEM SOLVED! We received the new check valves from Heartland and installed it before we left for the NY Rally. Well, now it's time to get ready to go home. Takin' care of business and I am such a happy girl. No smell and we paid strict attention to what was going on. Started out with the air off, no smell, put the air back on, no smell! If you are getting this aroma in your coach when dumping grey and/or galley water or when the tank is reaching it's capacity, you should consider replacing that check valve.

porthole

Retired
I've noticed the odor too, just can't understand why. There are traps between the sewer and the living area that should stop any odor from getting through. The only possibility I can come up with is that the sudden volume drain from the tanks pulls water out of the traps, allowing the gases to enter. On my next dump I'm going to try running a little water from each fixture, keeping that trap full, and hopefully keeping that smell out. It takes a while for it to dissipate!

Here is another of those lines that make you think ..........................

Should have started collecting them when I first mentioned this months ago :D

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
After extensive searching of RV forums, I found many have mentioned a check valve in the plumbing system. Ours is under the kitchen sink. I contacted Heartland Customer Service and ordered a replacement valve. This makes sense as the worst odor is in the area of the kitchen sink. From what I can understand the valve is supposed to introduce air into the plumbing system as the tanks are drained. If this valve is not working properly it could be the source of the problem. .

This is exactly what happened to us on our last trip out. I really can't figure out what that valve does but it is on a pipe in the center of the sink drains. It's spring loaded with a push on cap of some sort. Anyway...the cap actually was on to far causing the spring piston thingy to be slightly depressed and therefore allowing gases to escape into the island kitchen cabinets. I took the cap off allowing the spring to push the piston all the way up and the odor went away!

mikeandconnie

All my vent pipes on my Landmark where cut to short ,the vents where venting in the roof causing our smell. Coming through the AC like someone else posted.

wdk450

These ongoing problems with the check valves would seem to justify the factory pre-testing some of the vendor parts before installing them. Even random sampling of supplied parts lots might be a help.
I know that manufacturers I worked for did this.