Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black flat worm in toilet

1. Print this Post   #1

Black flat worm in toilet

Ok this is gross, but I have black flat worms crawling out of my toilet. I dont think they are tapeworms I have not examined hundred of pics of tapes worms and these werent amoung them. I think they are larvae of Drain flies but I cant find any pics. Anyone else had this problem in the past? How did you kill them off?

2. Print this Post   #2
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Re: Black flat worm in toilet

This link will get you to several sites on drain flies. One of them describes the larvae as being pale-colored, not black. I tried searching for something better, but there's nothing. Might need to collect some and take them to a pest control company or university entomologist to find the best way to get rid of them. Good luck!

http://www.ask.com/web?&o=101881&l=dis&q=drain%20flies
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with Max & Allie, the feline furballs)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

3. Print this Post   #3

Most every living thing falls dead when given ordinary bleach to live in. I doubt that it is necessary to identify the critter, but the only thing you really care about is getting rid of the suckers. I'd try about 1 qt of bleach and a good dose (cup maybe) of TSP (trisodium phosphate). Back when I was teaching biology in a high school, we had some tapeworms in a jar. They were not black, but mostly almost clear. They have no digestive system as they are bathed in digested food and thus can absorb their entire food needs. A tapeworm has a very tiny head and thin body that is constantly producing the segments which are reproductive structures (proglottids) that have both male and female parts. Tapeworms have been known to get to 30 feet long, but they are quite a thin ribbon and can not swim.

Certainly there are a multitude of other nasty worm like critters, and some that will do serious damage to the human body (like the pork worm trichina). But they all die in bleach (or even more expensive biocides). The purpose of the TSP is to dissolve their protective slime coat, so the bleach kills faster.

Now the $64,000 question.....how did they get into the blackwater tank? I'd be quite suspicious about the freshwater tank being contaminated also. If it was my trailer, all 3 waste tanks and the freshwater tank would get the bleach and TSP treatment, and I'd start with the freshwater tank. Fill it completely full with probably more than a gallon of bleach, but turn off your water heater so you are not heating the chemical mixture. Open all taps one at a time until a really strong bleach smell comes out with the water. This waste water will wash down the sink and shower traps to eliminate any critters that may be living there. If your holding tanks have the electronic sensors for gauging the fullness, the bleach may be destructive to the tank sensors (but I don't really know for sure).

Good luck, and give us the report of how this or another method worked.

Paul_in_MN
    Paul & Therese Hetchler, and adult daughter Annie
    Home Town: Plymouth, MN
    8 Grandchildren, all growing
    2002 F350 PS CC 4X4
    2010 Eagle Ridge 34RLSA
    3000i Honda generator
    Weekend campers as we have a small farm and too many pets (including horses).
    Been camping and RVing since the 60's

4. Print this Post   #4

Paul, I think you gave a pretty honest assessment of the situation and some good advice. The only thing that I would reconsider is the gallon of bleach in the fresh water tank. That seems way too much. I used about 2 cups to sanitize my tank and got a real bleachy smell when I opened the taps.

John
    John and Charlotte
    2009 Landmark Augusta
    2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax crew cab
    Firestone airbags/ 20K Reese hitch
    6500 watt Onan / 2500 watt inverter / Four 12v batteries in slide out box tray
    3 great kids and 2 German shepherd dogs

5. Print this Post   #5

Also very important, let it stand in the system for at least 24 hours before flushing. I would consider a stronger mixture in the holding tanks and let it stand even longer. The chlorine vapors will kill the ones that are not in the solution on the bottom of the tank.

6. Print this Post   #6

I agree that this sounds like giant overkill. But on my ERidge, the freshwater tank is 54 gal capacity, and that was the thought going through my mind when I wrote that reply. Maybe a more moderate dose of the bleach would do the job, and require less flushing of the freshwater tank to get the chlorine smell out. But I just can't imagine only 2 cups in 54 gallons as being enough to kill the darn critters. When I worked part time as a house painter, we'd mix more than 2 cups of bleach and a bunch of TSP in a 2 to 3 gallon pail of water to wash the mold and mildew off a painted surface. And it would take at least 2 scrubbings to get the blackish stuff off the paint. Shoot, bleach is cheap and is quite effective. My other thought was I do not want to do this again, and do not want to possibly subject my family to some bad critters. So I'd lean on the side of "overkill!!".

I am not a bleach salesman, and get no financial reward for recommending the product. So do whatever you want......

Paul_in_MN
    Paul & Therese Hetchler, and adult daughter Annie
    Home Town: Plymouth, MN
    8 Grandchildren, all growing
    2002 F350 PS CC 4X4
    2010 Eagle Ridge 34RLSA
    3000i Honda generator
    Weekend campers as we have a small farm and too many pets (including horses).
    Been camping and RVing since the 60's

7. Print this Post   #7
    Full-time WANNABE

I do not think a gallon in 54 gallons is overkill by any stretch. A strong mix ratio is DESIRED, then fill to drown/saturate every nook and cranny of your water systems INCLUDING THE CEILING of the holding tanks. Any amount of rinsing will be satisfied by the knowledge you have SANITARY tanks!

When I used my RV only seasonally I would use close to a gallon in each of my tanks then let them "Stew" for 24 hours!

I, on the other hand would also positively identify the species of flat worm. Just to be on the safe side to ensure it came from another source versus a more rare case of human infestation, which is possible but due to the nasty nature of such a parasite it is worthy of identification.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_in_MN View Post
    I agree that this sounds like giant overkill. But on my ERidge, the freshwater tank is 54 gal capacity, and that was the thought going through my mind when I wrote that reply. Maybe a more moderate dose of the bleach would do the job, and require less flushing of the freshwater tank to get the chlorine smell out. But I just can't imagine only 2 cups in 54 gallons as being enough to kill the darn critters. When I worked part time as a house painter, we'd mix more than 2 cups of bleach and a bunch of TSP in a 2 to 3 gallon pail of water to wash the mold and mildew off a painted surface. And it would take at least 2 scrubbings to get the blackish stuff off the paint. Shoot, bleach is cheap and is quite effective. My other thought was I do not want to do this again, and do not want to possibly subject my family to some bad critters. So I'd lean on the side of "overkill!!".

I am not a bleach salesman, and get no financial reward for recommending the product. So do whatever you want......

Paul_in_MN
    Last edited by Rockerga; 07-26-2010 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Medical and identifcation
    Ron "Rockerga" and Debbie Smith
    2008 Silverado 2500HD Crew cab
    6.6l Duramax/Allison 4x4 - 365hp - 660 Ft Lbs
    2009 North Trails 28RLS
    Equal-i-zer Hitch
    Proud USMC/Naval Veteran!

8. Print this Post   #8
    Prolifically Gabby Member JohnDar's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Rockerga View Post
    ...I, on the other hand would also positively identify the species of flat worm. Just to be on the safe side to ensure it came from another source versus a more rare case of human infestation, which is possible but due to the nasty nature of such a parasite it is worthy of identification.
    Especially since considerable Internet searching does not come up with information for a flat, black worm. To be drain fly larvae (wrong color), there would be drain flies doing their thing inside the bathroom after they mature. There was no mention of actual flies being seen.
    Camp Gotchurwallett
    John & Darlene (with Max & Allie, the feline furballs)
    2009 GMC 3500HD SLT CC D/A DRW
    2009 Bighorn 3670RL

H.O.C. #1225

9. Print this Post   #9

I don't know anything about the worms. But I would suggest that you flush the black water tank well before adding bleach to it, and letting it set for 24 hours. I saw something on Spike TV Mananswers that mixing bleach with black waste water will create a deadly gas! I tried to Google this but could not find anything on it. So I don’t know if this is really true or not. So if I am wrong please accept my apologies for passing on bad info. fficeffice" />>>
    Mark, Norma, Zach (Labradoodle)
    2007 Dodge 3500 Dulley 6.7 Crew cab 2X4 3.73 6 speed Auto Tran Stock Exhaust Brake
    2011 LandMark Grand Canyon Gen Set Auto Level Custom Desk
    1988 34' Catalina Sail Boat

10. Print this Post   #10

You can liberate/generate hydrogen sulfide gas by adding bleach to waste water. Don't do it under any circumstances. Do as the poster stated, flush it first. An ounce of copper sulfate instead of the bleach is safer.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast