Shower and sink leaks in my Big Country

mcarso1

Hello everybody! Been awhile since we have been on the site due to work and when we are free we are in the camper. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can give me some help with. Question one is i have been dealing with a shower leak that appears to be coming from the metal trim that houses the glass on the lavinet side(tight between the two to get caulk in) but I have caulked it inside the shower and out. Anybody else experience this problem and what is the fix? My dealer is awesome and said to bring it in for all my concerns but I don't have the time to get it there. Second the drains on the kitchen sinks leak and I tried tightening but that just slowed it down not a complete fix. Should I take the drains out and use plumbers caulk a replace or is there another cure? Problem is I am not a plumber! Next when we get to the campground and I set up the dump line, when I take the cap off about a cup of water comes out. Is this from condensation or is a valve leaking? I do close all valves after dumping before we leave the campground and I flush everything really well. Lastly we are feeling alot of movement inside the camper while setup at the campground. If someone is walking around and we are laying in bed you can really feel it. Is there a way to get rid of this or is it just the way it is? We are rookies so any advice is good advice for us.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
1.Question one is i have been dealing with a shower leak that appears to be coming from the metal trim that houses the glass on the lavinet side(tight between the two to get caulk in) but I have caulked it inside the shower and out. Use silicone, not caulk, and silicone not only where the glass enters the trim but where the trim attaches to the shower surround.

2.Second the drains on the kitchen sinks leak and I tried tightening but that just slowed it down not a complete fix. Should I take the drains out and use plumbers caulk a replace or is there another cure? Remove the baskets from the sink and use plumbers dope under the baskets. Dont worry about you plumbing skills. This is very simple.

3.Next when we get to the campground and I set up the dump line, when I take the cap off about a cup of water comes out. Is this from condensation or is a valve leaking?

That ain't condensation-guess what it really is-HE-HE.They do make a second valve to prevent that. The way it is from the factory you HAVE to remove the cap first before the hose is connected. With the second slide valve you can attach the hose first and not get Goo-GOO on your hands. No matter what though, always where latex gloves or at the very least use hand sanitizer after you do the dirty hose stuff.

4. Lastly we are feeling alot of movement inside the camper while setup at the campground. If someone is walking around and we are laying in bed you can really feel it.

Alot of the movement can be removed by just getting better at setting up. Knowing how much pressure you can put on your rear stabilizers, backing up or pulling forward on your chocks to put a little pressure on them before chocking the opposite side of the tire.
If that doesnt do enough for you look into rotochocks that go between the tires, stabilizers for the front dolly legs or even the Level Up system.

You will find that no matter what problem you have, someone sells something to fix it. And just when you think you have run out of problems to buy stuff for, someone invents a problem to sell their product.

Last edited:

caissiel

I to have dripings from the dump cap. I use a cap with a hose cap on it and open this small cap first while holding the dump hose under it. It is a much smaller flow and the hose can catch it much easier.

I have moved the shocks to a steaper angle of 60 Deg instead of the original 30 Deg. The trailer is much steadier on the springs and with the stabilizers extended.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
What Larry said. BTW Larry, just whom invented my latest problems. I want to shake his hand....NOT.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
C'mon Bob, we all know you have way too much money and are always looking for a good place to spend it.

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I have had pretty good luck using clear finger nail polish on the small rubber seal that holds the glass in the aluminum frame. When we first got the Bighorn, I tried several times in vain to re seal the frame to the base. I finally removed the entire enclosure, cleaned and re-fitted it with fresh silicone. Still had a slight leak. I used my air compressor to blow air from the outside in and found tiny bubbles at the corners of that rubber seal. I dabbed nail polish in the corners and that really helped.

Attachments

• before clean up.JPG
    before clean up.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 22
  • newly radiused corner.JPG
    newly radiused corner.JPG
    39.3 KB · Views: 22
  • glass seal trim.jpg
    glass seal trim.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 21