New Owner Problem Questions

lplott

We picked up our Landmark 20 Jul 2010 at Rich & Sons, Grand Island NE. Fantastic folks, but more on that in another appropriate forum.

Multiple questions:

1. When using the Black Tank flush with water pressure regulator and city water , do all three tanks need to be open or just the Black Tank?
1.a. is it normal for some water to escape from under the Master Control area when using the Black Tank Flush or have i got a leak?
2. my LP auto switch-over valve has no lables except on the arrow part of the selector knob that says source. There appears to be a left tank, right tank and middle possition, but what really are those three positions. I have not moved the selector knob so I am just guessing on the above. The selector knob is currently pointed at the line connected directly to the left tank. Nothing in the manuals.
3. Hot water on LP: does the HWater Heater (HWH) run off auto switch-over valve or sourced directly to left or right tank?
3.a. how do you turn on/off the gas to the HWH, there is no on/off valve for LP gas and the manufacturer's manual is no real help? There is a toggle switch but it is for the electric heater.
3.b. can i manually light the HWH with a long handle lighter, but how do i turn on the LP?
3.c. turning on the swith inside the unit to turn on the Electric Hot Water Heater and also turning on the switch inside the Hot Water Heater door from outside the unit did not produce hot water? Suggestions?
4. i was using the AUTO LEVEL with the 12Vdc turned off, the pump sounded like it ran, got an error Out Of Stroke Timmed Out. Remembered to turn back on the 12Vdc, AUTO LEVEL worked fine but appears to have pushed some ATF out the top of the fill cap on the pump ATF tank. Leakage under trailer stopped and has not reappeared. any suggestion other than the obvious; do not run the AUTO LEVEL with the battery OFF.

Lonnie

Lonnie,

See my replies inline below. Others may chime in as well.

Jim

We picked up our Landmark 20 Jul 2010 at Rich & Sons, Grand Island NE. Fantastic folks, but more on that in another appropriate forum.

Multiple questions:

1. When using the Black Tank flush with water pressure regulator and city water , do all three tanks need to be open or just the Black Tank?
JB: Only the black tank needs to be open. It's the only one with a sprayer in it.

1.a. is it normal for some water to escape from under the Master Control area when using the Black Tank Flush or have i got a leak?
JB: The plastic water connection we use from B&B Molders is tricky to get tightly sealed on your hose. Mine leaks there often. Make sure you are using a rubber washer.

2. my LP auto switch-over valve has no lables except on the arrow part of the selector knob that says source. There appears to be a left tank, right tank and middle possition, but what really are those three positions. I have not moved the selector knob so I am just guessing on the above. The selector knob is currently pointed at the line connected directly to the left tank. Nothing in the manuals.
JB: I believe, and others will correct me, that the center position will allow you to draw from both tanks.

3. Hot water on LP: does the HWater Heater (HWH) run off auto switch-over valve or sourced directly to left or right tank?
JB: It will draw propane from any position the selector is on.

3.a. how do you turn on/off the gas to the HWH, there is no on/off valve for LP gas and the manufacturer's manual is no real help? There is a toggle switch but it is for the electric heater.
JB: I do not believe there is a gas valve to shut-off propane at or leading to the water heater, other than shutting off the tanks.

3.b. can i manually light the HWH with a long handle lighter, but how do i turn on the LP?
JB: Never heard of anyone doing this with the Direct Spark Ignition system as it self-lights. Not sure if it can be done. Best bet is to call Suburban. Their number is on the portal page on the left.

3.c. turning on the swith inside the unit to turn on the Electric Hot Water Heater and also turning on the switch inside the Hot Water Heater door from outside the unit did not produce hot water? Suggestions?
JB: There are 2 switches inside. The one on the monitor panel is for running the water heater on propane. The one in the control switch area that looks like a residential light switch, except for a lighted red handle, is for running the water heater from AC power. You will have to have the black rocker switch outside at the water heater in the ON position for AC power to come into the heating element. If you have ever turn these switches on with no water in the water heater, you have blown the element. Easy to change with a screwdriver and a water heater element socket tool.

4. i was using the AUTO LEVEL with the 12Vdc turned off, the pump sounded like it ran, got an error Out Of Stroke Timmed Out. Remembered to turn back on the 12Vdc, AUTO LEVEL worked fine but appears to have pushed some ATF out the top of the fill cap on the pump ATF tank. Leakage under trailer stopped and has not reappeared. any suggestion other than the obvious; do not run the AUTO LEVEL with the battery OFF.
JB: Have not had that happen. Best bet is to call Lippert Customer Service - their number is on the portal on the left side.

Lonnie

lplott

Thanks Jim, now I feel like a real idiot.
The one on the monitor panel is for running the water heater on propane. the one label HEATER on the tank level monitor panel?

lplott

Thanks Jim. on 3.c The one on the monitor panel is for running the water heater on propane the heater switch on the tank monitor panel?

Northern Virginia
On our maiden voyage, the first time ever I tried to use the water heater I could not get hot water on either gas or electric. After fooling with it and the bypass valves for a while, I heard water swish through the lines. At first I thought I had an air lock but it turned out that the hot water heater bypass lever was stripped. The valve handle for the water heater bypass valve in the UDC was moving but the valve was not (it was stuck in bypass). All I needed to do was tighten the screw on the bypass valve.

Long story short, I had no hot water at the tap even though the tank was filled with hot water. Maybe a quick tap of the pressure release valve at the water heater panel will let you know if the water in the tank is hot.

Last edited:

lplott

Thanks for the information. Runs on propane great, and heats up fast with propane and electric both turned on, then turn propane off and just use the electric. This weekend I may get to check out the furnace, should be down in the 40s while we are camping at Pueblo Res.