Northwest Question

Dave

Traveling Two
My job might take me to the Bremerton, WA area starting in January 2011 until Dec 2012. I've heard it doesn't snow much up there and doesn't get into the 0 degree range, my question is will we stay comfortably warm during the winter months in our Sundance 3300SK? I know the R rating in the Sundance is not equal to a BH or BC. What is a average temp range for the winter months? Thanks for your input..be safe!

Tom of Ypsi

Just do a search on the net for Bremertn, Wa average temps and it will give you all the info you need. I has Dec avg 44 High 34 Low 8.3" rain, Jan 44H, 34L 6.3" rain, Feb 48H, 35L 6.3". Those are the coldest months and with a little ingenuity you should be able to live in you Sundance.

2010augusta

Dave, We are staying in Gig Harbor, WA about 20 miles south of Bremerton, and it was warmer here than central TX. We and a one week cold spell that got to the low 20's, but never had a snow flake. I did have issues with water hose and the water tank freezing up one time. With a couple electric heater we stayed nice and toasty warm in the Landmark.

SJH

Past Washington Chapter Leaders
We live just a couple of miles from the Canadian border (100+ miles north of Bremerton). Overall the climate is mild but very, very wet! We see a couple of weeks of freezing temps and on the odd year get a pretty good snow storm. Don't think we had any last winter! We seasonal campers around here usually winterize before Thanksgiving.

Best Wishes!

boatdoc

It takes a little over 2 years to start developing webs between the toes and fingers so you should be alright for that amount of time.

bobowill

We have live in Bremerton for about 25 years, about 6 of those were in our 5th wheel. The winters are usually mild, but we do have snow quite often. It usually only lasts a couple of days then melts. That said, last year we had quite a bit of snow (8-10 inches) and the cold weather keep it around for a couple of weeks. I don't believe you would have any problem as long as you use common sense. When it going to freeze fill up your fresh water tank and disconnet your water hose. Use your electric heaters to supplement your propane heater. You need to keep your propane heater on to keep your tanks (water, gray and black) from freezing. If you can you might want to lease a larger propane tank ( it keeps you from having to refil yours every 3 or 4 days and it the propane is cheaper in the long run) If you have a problem with your black water valve freezing shut use a hair dryer to unfreeze it; your gray water valve will be open all the time so they should'nt be a problem. Use an electric blanket at night, but keep your propane heater on for your tanks and under compartments. If you have any questions you can email me and I will be glad answer them for you.

Good Luck
Bob Williams

iforget

New Jersey Chapter Leader-retired
Not that I see myself living in the camper in cold weather, You have given him great advice Bob. And how nice of everyone to add their thoughts and all that information..
Aside from the challenges it may bring, it is beautiful country there! Best of luck.

Dave

Traveling Two
Thanks everyone for the good information and confidence we will survive the WA winters. We've lived in our Sundance every spring through fall for the last three years while working in the Norfolk VA area, then I would pull it back to Summerville, SC for the winter. We both want to stay in the Sundance while in Bremerton but of course want to be comfortable. I don't think we will have a problem, now I have to get the Sundance from SC to WA!

navyAZ1

I spent 5 years stationed at NAS Whidbey Island the winters were mild but you can have some cold snaps. In 5 years I never got used to the rain I loved the area it is beautiful when you have dry days the sights are fabulous. We finally realized that if you were going to do things outdoors than you just had to decide you were going to do it in the rain. I will say that most of the rain is very light and not down pours, in fact in the 5 years I was there I think I can only remember 2 or 3 thunder storms but you can get some high winds during winter storms. Since my wife had never been to the NW we made a trip out there in 2008 and stayed at NAS Whidbey in the CG for 6 days it was mid September and we had beautiful weather not a drop of rain while we were there. I remember once seeing a bumper sticker on a car in Seattle that stated "Welcome to the Seattle Rain Festival OCT thru APRIL", thought that was pretty funny but true. Good Luck on your trip you'll be seeing some really great sights on your way.

Ron & Ann