ORPHANS POSTS - 3-Aug-2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

truknutt

Committed Member
Re: Rain!

Cookie came by and has the "gifts". If you need more, I have a few extras. Cookie has my cell number so I can run them up if needed. I understand the confined quarters, not a problem.

Dave G.

Re: Tire problems

I have Mission tires on my 2009 Big Country 3355 and 1 of them on the passenger side, rear tire, is worn on the side of the tread area about 12 inches long on the outside. It is only on that side and none of the other tires show any wear. I have had one person tell me I have a bent axle, another one said that tire will lock when turning a sharp turn, and another told me it was due to under inflation then the final story was the spindle was welded on wrong . Then I talked to a person at Black Barts campground in Flagstaff said they wanted a new set of tires along with the trailer fixed. He blew out a tire on each side and it tore through the floor destroying everything inside of the unit on both sides along with a lot of personal stuff that had to be dumped, he had Mission tires. Living on a fixed income $800.00 plus for a set of Goodyear LT 235/85R16's will take me about 3 months to save up, if I can keep my wife and 15 year old daughter out the bank account for that fix I will do it. I have had a lot of other problems with this Heartland Big Country over the last year I have owned it and the warranty just went out the door the 11th of July. Oh well, that is what I get for not knowing what I was buying a year ago, but it won't happen again if I can get out of this one mistake.

Re: Good Sam

When We had our Mountaineer We bought the extended warranty just before the one year warranty expired. A 5 yr warranty and if you don`t use it you get the money back in merchandise. I got a trail-air king pin, tripod, new brakes all around, 20ft sewer hose kit, 3 max air vents one for the fantastic fan, hot water tank rods, etc all for kinda free. Had the protection and then spent it 5 yrs later. I will get the same coverage on this 5ver. What I`m I gonna spend that on in 5 yrs???

Re: Is My Water Heater Gas or Gas/Electric

The water heater you have is Gas /Electric......The switch that looks like the light switch is the correct switch.........the toggle switch on the monitor panel is just an extra toggle, it is not hooked to anything.....This is just the way the monitor panel comes....Thanks

If that's the case then how do you know if the switch is on electric or gas mode? Do you have to turn the master switch outside in the water heater compartment off to get it to run by gas? Your manual is sort of useless because it doesn't mention this switch. If the switch is off (not lit) does that mean it's on gas?

Teething problems, sink leak.

Found my sink water leak problem. With the slide out it is a straight shot from the sink drain to the holding tank. There is no room to spare in the length of the flexible hose that connects the two. When the slide is brought in, the distance increases causing the hose to pop off the sink drain. When I just brought my slide in, the plastic piece broke and fell in the floor. In a nutshell, the Dag-gum hose is too short. Back to the dealer tomorrow for that and the key locks on the storage doors. It took them 2.5 days to prep it. We were to start our vacation this week. Will see how that turns out.:mad:

Billy, it sounds to me like your dealer could have done a more thorough job of prepping the trailer. I would ask that they adjust the slide out. You might consider cutting a 2 x 4 to fit on top of the slide when it retracted. Place it between the wall and the slide out fascia. Hopefully when you get these few bugs worked out, all will be good and you can really start to enjoy the new rig.

Re: Mountain good idea

Hi everyone,

As I write this, I have a kink in my neck. Why? Because I spent about the last 75 mins on a ladder doing the first part of TimK's "AC Enhancement". A half-dozen feet of aluminum foil tape later, and now the cool air can no longer get back into the AC intake (it was bad before). There were literally places I could easily put a couple of my fingers through. After the foil tape, the entire system works much better. We can now actually feel cold air blowing out of the vents, which we've never really felt before. In fact, when we turned the breaker back on, and set the thermostat to cool, a bunch of sawdust blew onto the bed on both sides. Plus, the system runs much quieter! We couldn't be happier.

In the past half hour, we've gone from 24.5C to 22.0C. WOW! It used to take hours to change the temp that much.

Tomorrow, I will begin work on the "tent".

My DW wants to make sure I credit her for her help cutting the tape and removing the backing. Thanks, dear!

Cheers,
Chris

Re: Mountain good idea

So far I have only done one of the three improvement steps:

1) Close off the extra space at the end of the duct runs. Two in Bedroom and one in Bunk House. I notices a bit of an increase of air flow after this, but it isn't as much as I thought.

I am currently waiting the the 15,000 BTU AC unit that was ordered, but not put in when our trailer was built. Once the proper one is in place I will do the other two items.

2) Seal off Intake Air Chamber from Cold Air Chamber
3) Make the world famous TimK AC Tent

Hopefully having the proper AC installed and the other two changes done will make a big difference in the cooling power, so it doesn't take so long to cool down.

I also have a digital thermostat in install too, but that will wait until the proper AC is installed in a couple of weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.