M21 Jensen AWM 970 Cabling Improvement

pegmikef

My 2011 M21 came with the AWM970 audio system installed with two pair of speakers already wired (one inside and one outside). There was a single cable set with three female RCA jacks (2 audio, 1 video) with no explanation in the documentation as to what it was for. So, like a dummy, I assumed it was line out so I could hook up the DVD player to my TV. Wrong, after discussions with the Jensen tech folks, I learned that it was actually the AUX 3 input for an external receiver . . . and all I wanted to do was to be able play DVD's for display on my TV and have the TV's audio play over the audio system speakers. The documentation indicates the capability is there.

The capability is there! All you have to do is remove the trim from the installed audio system, then remove the four square headed screws that hold the system in place, slide the whole audio unit out, and then install your DVD out cables to the clearly marked line out cables and your TV audio cables into the clearly marked audio input (AUX 2) cables.

There is an additional video line out cable so you can actually output to two separate TVs (i.e., bedroom in larger units). There is also a another line in (AUX 3)so one could hook up a VCR or similar device. There is an IPod input, and a couple of others that I'm not sure what they do.

Anyway, the point here is that the design change for the M21 (and maybe other models) is that when, during the manufacturing and installation of the audio system, the input and output capabilities won't be accessible, a cable set should be installed that will make them available to the user. I don't think it is a good idea for folks to be removing the unit just to hook up cables.

Last edited: