Wet Bolts on the way

jpajax

Just ordered wet bolt kit from Lippert with the brass bushings. Any tips on how to install welcome. Also I have the Trail Air equalizers on the springs. Would like too change the angle on the shocks while the tires are off but I have noticed that on the door side under the living room slide the shaft that connects the two rails there is no room raise the shock any suggestion. :cool:

Attachments

• PICT1092.jpg
    PICT1092.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 118
  • PICT1093.jpg
    PICT1093.jpg
    233.6 KB · Views: 109

caissiel

I have modified or added brackets to change the shock angle from 32 deg or less to closer then 60 Deg of the horizontal.

Its a big difference when we walk in the unit, The stabilizers don't realy hold the center of the unit but with the shocks at the recomended angle sure makes a difference.

My conclusion about the lippert design is that they must be using a jig of some kind to install the top shock bracket and its location is for under the axle spring arrangement for the Ideal 60 Deg installation.

The plates on the axle and springs is designed for 60 deg shock installation and in no way will the rod end on the shocks will stay straight. Mine are all bend and they are ok on the new shock installation arrangement. I had to install some new rubbere bushings because some were damaged also along with the shock rod. My unit only had 3000 miles on it at the time.

jpajax

View attachment 9813Got the kit today not sure if all is there here is photo of what I recieved. I also I have the Trail Air suspension on the springs.

Attachments

• 0824101914.jpg
    0824101914.jpg
    349.2 KB · Views: 99

jpajax

caissiel How did you get around the shaft that is under ofd slide? There are photos in the first post of were I am talking about and if you could post pictures of your brackets.

lwmcguir

View attachment 9813Got the kit today not sure if all is there here is photo of what I recieved. I also I have the Trail Air suspension on the springs.

You have what you need for the trail air equalizer system. You replace the springs, hanger bolts and leave the Trail Air bolts alone. Shoud have made this more clear. The hanger bolt in the trail air equaflex need replaced but not the ones in the ends.

Last edited:

MC9

I have unlimited tools so I might not have as much trouble as some so... I jacked up the frame with 2 hydraulic jacks, took the wheels off(go have them balanced), put jacks under each axle, remove nuts on shackle bolts, slide screwdriver between old plastic sleeve and spring and twist out with long nose pliers (they will be junk). Drive shackle bolt into shackle with grease hole in horizontal position (I used an old socket), grease everything and install. You will have to drive the bolts out of the hanger end of the spring. The Trail air will have brass sleeves but will need wet bolts in at least the top bolt. Good luck.

jpajax

Thanks wasn't sure if there were brass bushings in the Trail Air shackles or not. Didn't want to get into project and find that there were not enough bushings.

jpajax

Still would like to stand the shocks up so they will work as intended. But heres this isuue the liveing room slide.

jpajax

Here's my plan on jacking up camper to change out bolts. Fist hook up camper to truck and raise legs. Second jack up one side of camper and put on blocks or jack stands under frame about a foot in front and behind the wheels. Third go to other side and do the same. Fourth use floor jack and jack up both sides of either the front or rear axle change bolts on one axle at a time. Now I am not sure exactly sure how to do the center shackle bolt? Do you put jacks on both front and rear axle on the same side to change out center bolt. I know that this seems simple to some people but I want to be sure and safe when I start this project that is why I like to talk and walk my self through the proceess before I start. Any suggestion or comments will be welcome. Thanks your old Red Neck buddy Jim Bob

caissiel

2010-07-28 007.jpgI have used brackets to raise the support and attached it with Grade 8 3/8" bolts and locknuts as shown in the incuded pics

Attachments

• 2010-07-28 006.jpg
    2010-07-28 006.jpg
    447.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 2010-07-28 010.jpg
    2010-07-28 010.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Jim, I really think that having all the wheels off at one time would be scary. I would rather have just one side of the trailer hit the ground than both sides at once. Wobbly jack stands...6 tons hitting the ground. You DO NOT what to be under it. YOU JUST NEVER KNOW.....with "murphys law" in effect. JMHO

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
Jim, this must be the season for wet bolts. I just finished mine about 30 minutes ago.

On your center bolt, the easist way is , at least for ,me is this:
Change your front and rear hanger bolts first.
Then drop both of your tie plates bolts (front and back springs) from your equalizer. Now you can change your equalizer bolt very easily with out any pressure on it.
Then go back and do your tie plate bolts one spring at a time. Just keep a light jack under the axles (not in the center, use a block under the ubolts and then the jack) while working on the equalizer.

Got to agree with Bob also, do one side at a time unless you you have access to air frame jacks.

jpajax

Thanks didn't know if by doing one side at a time would put the shackles in a bind. Larry how many brass bushings did it take. I only have four. Kinda disappointed that the bolts aren't grade 8.

SouthernNights

Past South Carolina Chapter Leader
I didn't get any brass bushings with my kit. I called lippert about that and asked them why. According to them, they said the kits do not come with bushings. I did send them them the pic you took of your kit but they did not know why you had got them.

I used the nylon bushings along with the wet bolt kit. While that may or may not be ideal, I am hoping they are just temporary... I think at some point I will change over to IS with in a couple of years.

jpajax

When I called about mine I really had too pin them down to get a positive answer that they were in the kit but I am thinking that I am short two for the center. Well it want be long till Mayberry see you all there. Thanks again for all the info. and tips your Red Neck Buddy Jim Bob.

Last edited: