Thread: how to clean a diesel engine ??

1. Print this Post   #1

how to clean a diesel engine ??

I have the Dodge CTD, I was told you have to be careful cleaning these engines, you can't just spray engine degreaser on the engine and hose it off ?? This is my first diesel so I am unsure how to keep the engine as clean as the exterior. Need advise please. Thanks in advance,
    Bobby A

2. Print this Post   #2

Re: how to clean a diesel engine ??

On all our Fords we just apply the cleaner, let it sit a while and hit it with the HP washer. Watch out for the air intake area. We try not to put any pressure on any part of the air filter and so on as well as not spraying any of the relay boxes directly. Never had a problem but we do approach it carefully.

3. Print this Post   #3
    Founders of SoCal Chapter Bob&Patty's Avatar

Bobby, I will only add that after you "hose" it down...be near a air compresser and blow all the water/cleaner out of all the sensors. Water is a great conducter of electricity. You could get the "POOOOOF" and "SMOKE" effect if you don't.........just saying. Bob
    Bob (Old cranky), Great wife Patty, 5 great kids, 11 grandkids

Callie the wonder dog (we are still wondering) and 1 crazy cat "Baby" (RIP at 18 years old). Callie misses her Kitty.

2013 GMC 3500 HD DRW C/C L/B with all the goodies (the grey ghost). AirLift 5000 with auto leveling. 34 gal custom auxillary in bed tank. Spray in bed liner and rubber mat. 16K Husky hitch.

07 2955RL BIG HORN #5103

58 Belair 2dr hardtop, low and slow custom.

HEARTLAND CLUB MEMBER # 1056

4. Print this Post   #4

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby A View Post
    I have the Dodge CTD, I was told you have to be careful cleaning these engines, you can't just spray engine degreaser on the engine and hose it off ?? This is my first diesel so I am unsure how to keep the engine as clean as the exterior. Need advise please. Thanks in advance,
    Bobby A
    When I hand wash my truck (which is quite rare these days), I will pop the hood and with my soapy sponge, just wipe down the engine bay. Since the the trucks been sitting a bit, the engine is cold, so I just rinse the soap off, then towel dry. Simple as that. I've used degreaser before, but only when I've slopped oil around. Unless you have 200k miles, probably no reason to degrease the motor on a Diesel.

James King
    2009 Dodge Ram 3500 Dually Mega Laramie/Resistol
    (-EGR/DPF, +Black Maxx)
    2010 Heartland Road Warrior 395RW
    18K SuperGlide Hitch
    P3 Brake Controller

HD Air Bags

5. Print this Post   #5
    Beardedone

This was discussed on the Dodge Cummins Forum and agreed not to ever pressure wash because it could cause very expensive problems. I regularly wipe mine down with a rag and controlled spraying of minimal amounts of Simple Green on grease.
    Gerry & Rose,
    2008 Dodge Laramie QC CTD dually
    2009 Landmark Augusta

6. Print this Post   #6

Thanks guys for all the input, since I do have a Dodge CTD I guess I should check out the cummins forum, I have had a lot of problems with the particulate filter on this truck, Chrysler has spent thousands repairing it, so I don't wanna tear anything up on my dime. Thanks again

7. Print this Post   #7

Amsoil Powerfoam works wonders on the outside of engines. I use it on my powerstroke and then spray the hoses with silicon spray.
    Camper: Sundance 3300CK

Old camper: North Trail 31BDSS

Tow rig: 1996 F-250 CC POWERSTROKE... Tymar intake, 3"X4" downpipe, and 4" exhaust. SD HPOP. 6.0L IC. Stage 1 injectors. Tony Wildman custom burns on 6 pos chip. Monster Box trans w/ V10 trans cooler. KINGPIN D60 front axle. 4.10 gears. RSK front w/ SD F350 springs and front sway bar. SD F350 rear springs w/ overloads, rear sway and ladder bars. RDRCM #26 RED

8. Print this Post   #8

never powerwash, It can push water into bearings on alternator and air conditioner pump and cost money. Simple green and hose enough.
    2009 Cyclone 3950, 2011 Carriage Cameo 36fws
    2009 Dodge 3500 Dually, Cummins 6.7, Isspro Guages, TST TPMS system, Aux Fuel Tank, CB
    Honda Shadow 1100
    Yamaha 660 Grizzly
    Catalina 26 Yaght