how to clean a diesel engine ??

Bobby A

I have the Dodge CTD, I was told you have to be careful cleaning these engines, you can't just spray engine degreaser on the engine and hose it off ?? This is my first diesel so I am unsure how to keep the engine as clean as the exterior. Need advise please. Thanks in advance,
Bobby A

lwmcguir

On all our Fords we just apply the cleaner, let it sit a while and hit it with the HP washer. Watch out for the air intake area. We try not to put any pressure on any part of the air filter and so on as well as not spraying any of the relay boxes directly. Never had a problem but we do approach it carefully.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
Bobby, I will only add that after you "hose" it down...be near a air compresser and blow all the water/cleaner out of all the sensors. Water is a great conducter of electricity. You could get the "POOOOOF" and "SMOKE" effect if you don't.........just saying. Bob

BruteForce

I have the Dodge CTD, I was told you have to be careful cleaning these engines, you can't just spray engine degreaser on the engine and hose it off ?? This is my first diesel so I am unsure how to keep the engine as clean as the exterior. Need advise please. Thanks in advance,
Bobby A

When I hand wash my truck (which is quite rare these days), I will pop the hood and with my soapy sponge, just wipe down the engine bay. Since the the trucks been sitting a bit, the engine is cold, so I just rinse the soap off, then towel dry. Simple as that. I've used degreaser before, but only when I've slopped oil around. Unless you have 200k miles, probably no reason to degrease the motor on a Diesel.

beardedone

Beardedone
This was discussed on the Dodge Cummins Forum and agreed not to ever pressure wash because it could cause very expensive problems. I regularly wipe mine down with a rag and controlled spraying of minimal amounts of Simple Green on grease.

Bobby A

Thanks guys for all the input, since I do have a Dodge CTD I guess I should check out the cummins forum, I have had a lot of problems with the particulate filter on this truck, Chrysler has spent thousands repairing it, so I don't wanna tear anything up on my dime. Thanks again

Blackcloud

Amsoil Powerfoam works wonders on the outside of engines. I use it on my powerstroke and then spray the hoses with silicon spray.

PUG

Pug
never powerwash, It can push water into bearings on alternator and air conditioner pump and cost money. Simple green and hose enough.