Greystone Bolt Torque Specifications

jheitman

The only torque spec I could find in the owners manual was for the wheel nuts; 120 ft-lbs.

I would also like to occasionally check other main structural bolt tightness.
  • What is the specified torque for the 7/8" nuts on the U-Bolts that hold the axles to the frame?
  • What are the torque specifications for the bolts in the King Pin Box?
  • What's the spec for the bolts on the stairway?
  • What else should be checked from time to time on the Greystone 32RE?
Thanks,
jim

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
120 ft-lbs is correct..if you have the aluminum wheels.
65 ft-lbs for the "U" bolts nuts
90-110 ft-lbs
what stairway....the entry steps?? I have no idea...but I just lowered mine. As tight as I could get a 3/8 bolt with a 10" ratchet without breaking it.

jheitman

120 ft-lbs is correct..if you have the aluminum wheels.
65 ft-lbs for the "U" bolts nuts
90-110 ft-lbs
what stairway....the entry steps?? I have no idea...but I just lowered mine. As tight as I could get a 3/8 bolt with a 10" ratchet without breaking it.

I bought a torque wrench and checked the "U" bolt nuts that hold the axels to the frame. Most were tight, i.e. didn't move when wrench is set at 65 ft-lbs. However, two or three actually turned 1/8 turn or so before reaching the set torque. Good thing I checked them out. I didn't see any sign of springs flattening, they look nicely bowed upward.

Checked the wheel nuts and they were all up to spec.

• Anyone know what torque to use on the hot water tank anode rod nut?
  • How about the bolts attaching the king pin box to the frame?
  • Any others I should check periodically?
jim

Rocky

It appears the axle's U-bolt nuts for a 6-8K axle should be torqued to 90 ft-lbs. This information is in the new Lippert's Trailer Axle Operation and Service Manual, rev082710 (assume dated August 27, 2010), page 13.

Before, I have always seen in the forums the 65 ft-lbs for the U-bolts. The 65 ft-lbs is good for the 5.2K axles.

Attachments

• 8-30-10-TrailerAxle-Web.pdf
    901.5 KB · Views: 41

Rocky

Re: What are the torque specifications for the bolts in the King Pin Box?

The current online Heartland Owner's Manual, on print page #22, states "Using a torque wrench, tighten kingpin box bolts to 60-70 ft. lbs".

This is a lot lower value than what I read in another forum post but that source was not from Heartland. After reading about a lot of problems concerning loose bolts in forum post, I am going to be vigilant about checking torque on the wheel bolts, kingpin box bolts and the axle U-bolts. I am disappointed that the Heartland factory did not respond to your question since it is very important and it was posted in "Ask The Factory"

FennerJ

Heartland Dealer Service
5.2K axle = 65 ft lbs
6 – 8K axle = 90 ft lbs
2K axle = 25 ft lbs
3.5K w/1/2” axle = 50 ft lbs
Pin boxes are all 100 – 110 ft lbs
Step have Ny-lock nuts. There is no torque value.

Rocky

5.2K axle = 65 ft lbs
6 – 8K axle = 90 ft lbs
2K axle = 25 ft lbs
3.5K w/1/2” axle = 50 ft lbs
Pin boxes are all 100 – 110 ft lbs
Step have Ny-lock nuts. There is no torque value.

Thank You for verifying these values