walk through tips

Hello everyone, I am picking up my new Cyclone 3010 on sat.The dealer will give us a walk through. Any tips on what I should be lookin for or paying special attention too? Thanks for any advice.

RoadJunkie

Some Checklists:

http://www.fifthwheelliving.com/PDI.pdf
http://www.bitware.com/5er/PDI.htm

I would say be very, very, thorough and be prepared to leave the rig until issues are resolved. If possible, do Pre Delivery Inspection (PDI) prior to final signature on paperwork. Clearly you have already bought it, but this might convince dealer you are serious about resolving issues. Get on your hands and knees and check carpet/floors for signs of water damage, fit and finish, etc. Try everything! Use a flashlight. Be sure you fill and drain all tanks while checking for leaks in the plumbing and behind the Universal Docking Station (UDC). I expect the dealer will try to treat this process as a "walk through" and I believe it is much more that this. Check "P" trap joints to ensure they are all tight, run slides in and out a few times. Leave no stone unturned! You only get one chance at this process, so take your time. Have Fun!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Call the dealer and inquire if they will have it connected to water and electric for you to do your "walk through." If not, ask why not. Check all lights, inside cabinets, appliances, the works. If there's a basement wall, have it opened up so you can inspect behind it.

Make sure all rods for operating things manually, like the spare tire, jacks, and awning, are on board and that they actually fit the spots they're supposed to go.

porthole

Retired
In addition to above:

A good dealer will allow you to spend at least one night on their lot, "camping"

Your walk through should take at a minimum 1-2 hours. You need to spend several more hours checking everything on your own.
Propane tanks are usually filled by the dealer, so use everything that uses propane - fridge - stove - hot water heater - furnace.
If you have a washer dryer I would suggest you run through at least one complete cycle (you should do this anyway before first use with clothes)

I ma going to suggest that after a few hot and cold cycles of water you will have some leaks - so after using it a bit go over all the connections and snug them up. Don't forgot the shower connections behind the wall plate. Sink traps may also need to be snugged up.

Anything that is cosmetic needs to be addressed before you take delivery! On our trailer there was a damaged corner on the couch drawer, had I not seen it prior to pickup it would be difficult to prove one way or the other.

jimtoo

Hi Darlene,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum and Family. We have a great bunch of people here with lots of information and all willing to share their knowledge if needed.

The advice you have been given above is all good and right on. Take your time, check everything and don't pay extra for PDI.

Enjoy the forum and go camping and make lots of good memories. Make lots of new friends and consider joining the Heartland Owners Club.

Jim M

ssjt2000

wow...maybe the dealerships should hire 2 more techs and 2 "walkthru" hosts to abide by these checklists. An hour to look at the outside? Most people overthink rvs. They are not that difficult to run. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx unneeded comment about previous post xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx If you have issues later, like they all do, your dealer will service it. You dont have " one chance" at this. I suggest if you are going to take a massive checklist, a glass of water for testing the microwave, a ladder, flashlights , ladder....etc... you should get there at 8:00 am and check in with your salesman at noon with any issues found. When i bought mine, i looked it over...learned what all the buttons are, and got going. I didnt want to waste a day looking at it. I brought it back with little issues i found , and i am a happy camper!

Last edited by a moderator:

porthole

Retired
My guess is not everyone is fortunate enough to have a dealer close by. Nearest Heartland dealer for me is 105 miles away. And they are not a Cyclone store, but offered to work on it anyway.
For me it was a concern to have whatever needed to be taken care of done before I took it home. We bought at the end of July and started using it 1 week later for the rest of the season.

olcoon

If you don't know anything about the electric brakes on the 5er, make sure they explain them to you. I listened to what 2 different dealers told me, and apparently if they have never pulled a 5er in the mountains, or they have forgotten about it. I went by what they told me, and had problems on our current trip into the mountains of Colorado. I didn't know anything about brake controllers, and have learned/still learning on our current trip in the mountains. Had a dealer in Colorado Springs explain brake conrtollers in "dummyese" so I could understand it. I guess you could chalk it up to "rookie syndrome"! Bottom line is that the setting has to be different from the more or less flat lands of the midwest to the mountains on Colorado!

The education continues!

porthole

Retired
My guess is not everyone is fortunate enough to have a dealer close by. Nearest Heartland dealer for me is 105 miles away. And they are not a Cyclone store, but offered to work on it anyway.
For me it was a concern to have whatever needed to be taken care of done before I took it home. We bought at the end of July and started using it 1 week later for the rest of the season.

And now my own comment makes even more sense.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
Have the dealer adjust the brakes prior to delivery. I have had and know other who have had trailers where the brakes were out of adjustment at delivery time.

wdk450

This is probably on the lists, but INSIST on a propane pressure leakdown test. This is where a pressure guage is attached to the propane tank(s) the gas is turned on then off with all gas appliances off, then the pressure guage is observed to see if there is a leakdown of gas pressure. This will tell you if there is a gas leak in your system. The propane detector alarm doesn't catch many of the minor, external, leaks.

mountain1

My advice would be to read as many psots on this forum as possible. I have learned so much after the fact it is amazing. My dealer had not time for me and I never demanded it. What I learned from here after using my rv a few times is great.
I am also interested in exactly what you do differently with the brake control in the mountains?

Ernie & Lettie

One thing I did was find out If the wheel bearings were repacked or checked when it arrieved at the dealership. When we got our trailer I was told when the trailer got there they used a grease gun and and put a couple of squirts in each zert fitting on the hub. Just had the dealership repack the bearings {trailer only had 1500 miles that I put on} found 2 bearings bad, one was missing a roller, second was getting hot and blueing right in the middle of the roller. Out of warrenty. From the factory to Tucson was 2100 miles,plus the 1500 I put on, that is 3600 miles. The dealer also found that one hub was loose, and the other one was a little too tight.

davebennington

When we picked up our Landmark years ago (it seems alot longer it is an 2006)the tech was going to rush us through. We had a PDI list and that covered most everything. The best thing we did was video tape the entire PDI it helped out alot. I will have to admit in the excitement of picking up a new fiver we forgot several things and like most people we don't live next to a dealer, so the tape came in handy more than once. When there was a question about something we pop the tape in the machine and look it up.

We were not green RV'ers we had owned and camped before in a pull behind and a truck camper but the changes and new innovated things that have been introduced in the camping industry we were overwhelmed.

So all that said my suggestion would be have you PDI list ready but still take a video camera along

Dave