Awning Sag

JKZ

Hello, i have noticed that the few times i have opened my awning, there is a large amount of sag directly in the middle of the awning and right above the main bar. The awning bar is straight, i have only used the awning 3 or 4 times and am concerned if it rains the pooling of the water may bend the bar.

Thanks

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
They all sag some, remember always extend your awning with one side 12" lower to prevent a swiming pool above your head after a rain storm.

fljlcw

when I had the manual type I allways pushed down on the side rails before tightening the screw that tightened the tarp and allways let one side hang lower than the other to assist with drainage Fred

RoadJunkie

I'm not sure what type of awning you have, but I have noticed that on my electric awning the sagging is reduced if you do not open it until the motor starts to load. I have started opening the awning until the valance is fully out but a few inches short of "fully" extended.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
It normal to have some sag in the middle of a large awning. The thing to do to keep water from pooling on it is to have one side lower than the other where water runs to the low side and off the awning.

Wharton

Our previous awning dumped water automatically. Once enough water was accumulated the awning tupped and dumped the water, better not be under that end. We haven't used out awning in the rain yet(no rain) but I guess the ones Heartland puts on don't dump by themselves? Bummer!!!! Would have upgraded if I had know that, never thought to ask.............

JKZ

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will take all your suggestions and try them this weekend as we head out. This is my first electric awning and I am still getting use to the differences between this type and the manual ones. I have to admit the electric is much more convienant to use, i personally think the manual awnings are more secure. But like everything there has to be some give and take.

Thanks
Jimmy
:cool:

Our previous awning dumped water automatically. Once enough water was accumulated the awning tupped and dumped the water, better not be under that end. We haven't used out awning in the rain yet(no rain) but I guess the ones Heartland puts on don't dump by themselves? Bummer!!!! Would have upgraded if I had know that, never thought to ask.............

I drop one corner a few inches for runoff. My sister has a Damon Essence MH, and the aft arm on the awning is spring loaded to dip when the weight of the accumulated water exceeds the spring tension. You get a good gauge of the rainfall by how frequently it dumps the load. Maybe there is an aftermarket product that can be retro-fitted to awning?