Hand Gun Hunting

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Anyone use a handgun for hunting? The season is getting close here. Just wanted to see who uses what. Thinking about trying my hand at it this year.

Jamie

Jimmy

S&W 629 classic, .44 magnum, 6" barrel, stainless. They make bigger, not sure they make better...

goodtruck

When and if I get home for the season I use a S&W mod 500 8 3/8 inch barrel .50cal. For hunting I use a smaller round 350 gr.Good for around 100+ yds.Someday looking forward to larger game. Bear, Moose or whatever I can afford.

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I have hunted Burglars and Auto Thieves with my 45 cal semi-auto Glock 21 before. Does that count?

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
I picked one of these up a few years back

516fsak.jpg

I have it in .243 and shoot a 75 gr. TNT hollow point. It prints 5 shots in a 3/4 group at 75 yards. A Simmons 2-7 X 32 powered scope. Lots of fun to shoot, not fun to carry. Thought I might load it with 100gr. and use it for larger game.

Jamie

jimtoo

I have hunted Burglars and Auto Thieves with my 45 cal semi-auto Glock 21 before. Does that count?

:cool: no i believe they're talking about game that don't hunt back

Don't tell him that. I think it counts BIGTIME.. He served the public for 35 years or there abouts protecting us and keeping us safe. I consider his type of hunting with his 45 very close to hunting skunks, opossums, snakes, idiots and other none wanted vermin as the type that never makes the sports page. That type of hunter never, or very seldom, gets thanks for what they did or how they served us.

Thanks Jim and all the other LEO's for your service.

Jim M

DW_Gray

I had a very successful deer hunt last year. I had long wanted to take a deer with my .357 Magnum handgun. I loaded up some rounds for my custom Smith & Wesson Model 686 in using 16.7 grains of H110 and 158 grain XTP bullet. After three consecutive shots in a 3 inch bulls-eye at 50 yards, (two of which were near dead center) I felt confident.

A doe presented me a broadside shot at 86 yards. I held the Trijicon's red dot at the top of her back and squeezed the trigger. I was in total disbelief when I saw her legs collapse and fall in her tracks. The bullet went all the way through one shoulder and exited.

Happy hunt'n and shoot'n,

IMG_2174-web.jpg