Under covering Tape

Loco

:D I have seen and talked to some folks that ask what to seal up the under cover on a trailer. You see dealers using Black duck tape. Which always comes lose with time. Well I have found the right tape to do it with and you do not have to order it or go to the RV dealer, You go to Home Depot. It works great. It is in the Duck tape area of Home depot. It is called Nashua SELECT Flashing tape. It is about 6 inches wide and a roll of about 75 FT for 20 dallors. It is made of Polymeric film and has a proprietary new butyl rubber adhesive adheres to most building surfaces and it does All I did was clean my under cover with mineral spirits cut the tape to fit, pull the backing off and stick it on. It works great. With the backing on it you can cut it to any shape you need to seal up holes around drain pipes ect. It is the best thing I have found so far. I did put it on when the under cover was warm. But it went on you can not pull it lose easy. Hope this will help folks out with their rigs under covers.

J

jjjelm

OK.....A question along these "tape" lines. We have been on the road since Sept. and have had no rainy highways yet....we are leaving Lake Mead, NV on Mon. and rain is forcast. We are worried about the wet carpet "thing" and were wondering if a temporary "fix" might be putting tape over the areas likely to leak? If tape would work where would one place it?

DennisZ

JJJelm
We came thru SLC last August in a complete downpour and hail storm with our unit, and didn't have any water problems, I don't know if it was good luck or just the way our unit is built, I don't think they all are quite the same.

Loco

Up date on the new tape for under side.

This tape (Nashua select flashing tape @ Home depot) I talk about a while back is working great. We have been through rain,cold,mud, It has not even moved. It works like no other I have used. It is easy to cut and fit around pipes and fittings. It is great for this type of sealing of under covers. Just make sure you clean the area with some thing like mineral sprits.:rolleyes:;)

Last edited:

HappyKayakers

Also, be very careful if it's windy. I had a problem when applying mine where it flapped around and stuck to itself, had to cut another piece.

5erWonk

The wide black (Nashua) flashing tape that Joe & Suzzanne (Happy Kayakers) refer to is great stuff....I stopped and saw them in Amarillo on my way back from Knoxville, and needed a litle patch, the stuff held up to 40mph winds across Eastern New Mexico and on to Cal.