Another Check Valve "Checks Out"

skyguy

While dry camping this weekend, the water pump started cycling about every 5 minutes. Started looking for leaks, wound up behind the basement wall, and found the hot water check valve at the top of the hot water tank leaking pretty good. Tried to remove the valve, using a pretty small pipe wrench, and naturally, it broke.

Now I didn't use a lot of pressure trying to remove the check valve, and it was leaking already, my guess is that the fitting was cracked at this point, to begin with... Spent the next 45 minutes carefully removing what was left of the check valve from the hot water tank.

Not sure why the fitting cracked! Early in 2009, I moved the water feed pipe from below the hot water lines to rest on top of the lines - this cured my water fill issues. Maybe this caused the crack??

In any case, I'll be replacing the plastic check valve with a brass one, and corresponding fittings...

BTW - we were able to at least restore cold water supply, by returning the broken check valve to the end of the hot water lines, and switching the winterizing valve in the command center, bypassing the hot water heater.

Al S.

skyguy

UPDATE:

Purchased a Brass Check Valve, two brass 1/2 threaded nipples, and a new roll of teflon tape. Wrapped the male-male nipples with plenty of teflon tape. Both went into the female ends of the Check Valve. Made sure I got the check valve oriented the correct direction, and installed into Hot Water Heater. Reconnected Hot Water pipe. Tested for leaks, and gradually tightened as needed.

Once this was done, I secure the hot water pipe with a hanger, so no more pressure on the fittings. At the same time, I also used a hanger to suspend the fresh water supply, hopefully that will work better now, with no dips in the path!

All is good! Ready for lots more camping yet! (Time to outfit the coach for hunting seasons - antelope, deer, and waterfowl!)

Al S.

Northern Virginia
It was good you were able to remove the broken plastic check valve. I had a plastic fitting in the 3 way water heater bypass valve break and I had to replace the valve as it was impossible to remove the broken fitting.

I hate the plastic valves and fittings. Too easy to crack.

John

kakampers

Past Heartland Ambassador
Same exact thing happened to us last year...worked on removing the broken plastic all day...finally had to use a pipe tap to re-thread the thing. We too replaced it with brass...don't have to worry about it anymore!!!

RollingHome

I know this is Rube Goldberg, but, Could you use self vulcanizing silicon tape until you get home to do a real fix ? This stuff will hold high temp and high presure until a more permanent fix can be made, just a thought.