During turns, trailer is hitting side of truck

Wharton

We drive an International 4700, Stalick Conversion. When we make tight turns(we were forced into doing this while backing in at a rally) we noticed the king pin box hits the side of our truck.

We have never had this problem before in our previous trailers. The trailer rides level where everything is set. We don't plan to do anything about this problem except be careful.

Has anyone else had this problem??? Is there any simple solution? I thought most of this area was "standard" and was surprised to see there was such a difference between trailers.

Northern Virginia
I have the same problem with my GMC. I had to raise the hitch to the highest setting but on a tight turn, it will still hit the rail. I also try to be careful.

John

2010augusta

Which pin box? standard or air-ride?

how wide is the box? and how deep?

our conversion is about 50" wide and ~10-12" deep and have not had a problem with our standard pin-box, because the head of the hitch is above the rails of the bed.

Wharton

I've done a little more research on this problem. Currently the solution seems to be to raise the hitch(if possible) or change out the pin box. The pin box Heartland uses is very long and flat. I currently can thinkof 3 solutions: switch a "telescoping" pin box would solve the problem; or putting spacers in our TrailerSaver hitch; or getting a box built to raise the hitch. Our previous trailers all had "telescoping" pin boxes which are at a higher angle and then can be adjusted from there. Since each truck is different it seems to be a "telescoping" adjustable pin box would make more sense.

I plan to contact Lippert and TrailerSaver today to see if I can get any answers.

BruteForce

The plastic trim around my pin box hits the bed rails on my truck..but only at very tight angles. I'm just ignoring it for now. I hope you find a solution that works and is inexpensive.

RoadJunkie

I have the same problem with my GMC. I had to raise the hitch to the highest setting but on a tight turn, it will still hit the rail. I also try to be careful.

John

I seem to remember that someone told me the GMC bed sides are higher (deeper bed) than Ford or Dodge. In looking at your pic, and in my opinion, I don't think your rig is that far off from level. Although some may disagree and, in their opinion, the rig should be perfectly level. I think perfect is over rated and the enemy of good enough. Sometimes one has to compromise. Why am I babbling?

Boca_Shuffles

Solution: Hacksaw!!

We purchased our BH with the plastic airfoil. It hit the side rails on our '08 GMC long bed. I trimmed the back of the plastic to contour to the "bat wings" on the back of the pin box.

We then upgraded to the TrailAir pinbox. The batwings would have hit the side rails. I trimmed off the back of the metal pinbox. I removed the bat wings and moved the electrical box up.

You can remove the bat wings and part or all of the metal support bar without affecting the integrity of the pinbox. If you move the cross bar, reattach your VIN plate to the pinbox.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
On extremely tight turns, the rear of the plastic cover of my standard pin box contacts the rails for my bed cover. But the cover flexes and there is almost 4" between it and the actual pin box. Done this a few times, and the cover rail is undamaged.